Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, yes. Really.

Why do liberals think actual facts don't matter?
Not really. Like I said, officially, yes.

Besides, why am I arguing with you? You don't know anything about colleges, conferences and sports anyway.

Just disregard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 06:27 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not really. Like I said, officially, yes.

Besides, why am I arguing with you? You don't know anything about colleges, conferences and sports anyway.
That's hilarious considering what I used to do for a living before I retired.

And, yes, I'm very well-informed about colleges, conferences, and sports.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I don't believe college is necessary these days if you're planning to go into the Information Technology field. I don't blame the young men/women for skipping it. Just make sure to have a plan about a career or trade.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:45 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
The Thayer Scholars Program at Dartmouth is worth $10K per year - it's not a full ride.

He was most likely the benefit of another endowment that was based on his FAFSA that made up the difference.
I was right here while he went to interviews, while the sister helped fill out all the paperwork. It is a full ride, and it doesn't matter how many "rep" comments someone sends me arguing with me in the rep comment, he got a full scholarship, and yes it did come from them.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
It amazes me that a LOT of people in college end up with degrees that has zero to do with their career and the liberals scream to hand out free college for everyone.... What's the point of handing out free college education when most people don't know what to do with it... Cart before the horse, liberals...

Old 05-21-2015, 12:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It amazes me that a LOT of people in college end up with degrees that has zero to do with their career and the liberals scream to hand out free college for everyone.... What's the point of handing out free college education when most people don't know what to do with it... Cart before the horse, liberals...
Man, it's amazing how no topics can get posted without the same old crowd screaming something about liberals. This topic has NOTHING to do with politics.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:13 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You obviously missed my other post that debunks this argument so im just going to repost it.

Or maybe you didnt miss it since the Pac 12 has now disappeared from your argument, but the whole Southern argument still doesnt work since the ACC and SEC not only have swapped schools, but share Geographical area and 3 states

And in Case I didnt mention it, the ACC, which is in the South, has better schools on Average than the Big 10.

ACC -- Average of 58.5
8. Duke
24. Virginia
27. Wake Forest
30. North Carolina
31. Boston College
36. Georgia Tech
44. Miami
58. Syracuse
58. Pittsburgh
68. Clemson
72. Virginia Tech
97. Florida State
106. North Carolina State
161.University of Louisville

Big Ten: Average of 58.7
4.University of Chicago
12. Northwestern
29. Michigan
41. Wisconsin
46. Penn State
46. Illinois
58. Maryland
56. Ohio State
65. Purdue
68. Minnesota
70.Rutgers University
72. Michigan State
72. Iowa
83. Indiana
101. Nebraska
Fixed it for you. Remember private schools are favored in this ranking.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:04 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Fixed it for you. Remember private schools are favored in this ranking.
The University of Chicago isn't in the Big 10. And I already posted a link analyzing conference schools' latest US News ranking. The Big 10's mean very slightly edges out the ACC. The Big 10 is the top conference, academically. 13 of the 14 Big Ten schools are in the top 76, and all are within the top 99, out of 2,500 4-year colleges/universities. That is, 13 are in the top 3%, and when the 14th, Nebraska, is added, all are in the top 4% of US 4-year colleges/universities. As I said, the Big 10 is an academic powerhouse.

https://infogr.am/2014-power-football-academic-rankings

Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 AM

17,421 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I was right here while he went to interviews, while the sister helped fill out all the paperwork. It is a full ride, and it doesn't matter how many "rep" comments someone sends me arguing with me in the rep comment, he got a full scholarship, and yes it did come from them.
I just want to make it clear that it's not me giving you rep points - not sure if that's what you're insinuating.

You don't interview for the Thayer - there isn't even a separate application. The recipients are selected at the time of admission and it's over and above and additional financial aid an admit receives.

Here's all the info on Thayer Scholars: Thayer Scholars Program | Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth

I don't doubt that your nephew received a substantial FA package - at Dartmouth, students with family who has income below $100K receive free tuition. And coupled with additional FA & workstudy, I'm sure room & board for certain families is covered as well.

But there is so much misinformation about how FA works at the elite schools I want to make sure the correct information (or as close to it) is always out there. I can't tell you how many great students I've met that have the GPA, standardized test scores, awards, EC's, etc. that would make them a good candidate for admission at any top school, but they won't apply because they think that everyone pays $60K+ a year.

That is completely untrue. The top schools (if one can get in - and that's the tough part) can be, and usually are FAR more affordable than a student's state flagship.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:08 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Are we sure he's not affirmative action child who probably won't be able to keep up in the Ivy League?
Dude, it's highly probable that this kid has a much higher IQ than you. Did you see his test scores and GPA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies