Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM

1,581 posts, read 1,963,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You obviously missed my other post that debunks this argument so im just going to repost it.

Or maybe you didnt miss it since the Pac 12 has now disappeared from your argument, but the whole Southern argument still doesnt work since the ACC and SEC not only have swapped schools, but share Geographical area and 3 states
Yea, when you get down to it, it's the North...I'm a lot more comfortable espousing about their strengths. I learned a lot more about the conference's strength when conference expansion began a few years ago---delved more deeply into prospective school's academics and wealth. Rutgers and Maryland were good additions----but I think B1G should have gotten MO instead of Nebby. And MO came to B1G first----and they were turned down----they then went to the SEC looking for a safe haven.

There will likely be another round of conference expansion in a few years-----I could see UNC and Duke coming to the B1G.....possibly Ga Tech if those other 2 go to the SEC...or possibly Clemson as a last resort. I'm not convinced the ACC is a long term survivor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,753,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm sorry you experienced that. I went to an Ivy and no, I never assumed any AA classmates were affirmative action students, I assumed they were smart kids who worked hard to get where they were, just like I did.

And it's also sad that people think HBCU provide an inferior education - they should try going there! I went to graduate school with some students from HBCUs and they were some of the best students in the program!
Just wanted to clarify that I don't believe that the students will be the primary persons accusing black students of being AA candidates. It is usually greater society when they get out into the job market or just random folks, like many on the forum or the resident I spoke with who in general has a poor view of minorities and don't think we are capable of doing anything at a high level without their help.

And on HBCUs, I have been to mainstream colleges and HBCU programs and my HBCU was much harder. It does matter though which one you go to.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:15 PM

13,769 posts, read 5,499,024 times
I was accepted by the Harvard Business School and chose Commuter State near my house instead. Same degree, same course work, same curriculum, $81% cheaper tuition.

If I had the money however, off to Harvard I would have gone because well, the name does carry some weight and that weight is baked into the tuition. I am happy with my decision and always was, but in the parallel universe of someone other than me paying my bills, oh yeah, I am an Ivy League grad/MBA for sure.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:17 PM

29,425 posts, read 16,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Yea, when you get down to it, it's the North...I'm a lot more comfortable espousing about their strengths. I learned a lot more about the conference's strength when conference expansion began a few years ago---delved more deeply into prospective school's academics and wealth. Rutgers and Maryland were good additions----but I think B1G should have gotten MO instead of Nebby. And MO came to B1G first----and they were turned down----they then went to the SEC looking for a safe haven.

There will likely be another round of conference expansion in a few years-----I could see UNC and Duke coming to the B1G.....possibly Ga Tech if those other 2 go to the SEC...or possibly Clemson as a last resort. I'm not convinced the ACC is a long term survivor.
Now you are just ignoring the fact that you are wrong seeing as the ACC average is 7 points lower(better) than the Big 10.

Further more, the Big 10 came to Missouri, not the other way around. Missouri had their pick and chose the SEC, but again, this was about sports not Academics .

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Now you are just ignoring the fact that you are wrong seeing as the ACC average is 7 points lower(better) than the Big 10.

Further more, the Big 10 came to Missouri, not the other way around. Missouri had their pick and chose the SEC, but again, this was about sports not Academics .
You spew a lot of blatant BS:

Warming up to Missouri as B1G addition - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

SEC Football: Did the Conference Make a Mistake with Missouri? | Bleacher Report

MO would probably still come to the B1G if they were accepted. If the Big 12 goes down, look for Texas to move to the B1G.....unless the Big 12 can assemble a big enough conference to host a conference championship, they will probably fall apart before the ACC does.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM

And U.S. News ranks the SEC well behind the ACC, B1G, and PAC 12.

Care to spew more falsehoods DSJJ?

U.S. News Rankings of Top Six Football Conferences | FOX Sports

Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,987,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I am impressed the kid had enough sense to not go in for the big debt. Sounds like he really is smart. Good for him.
I'm wondering why he applied to all eight though. Seems excessive.

I got accepted to Brown for Journalism and turned it down. It was my only "Ivy League" choice.
But, come to think of it, I turned down going into Journalism all together
Journalism didn't have the opportunities in the late '80's-early 90's that it seems to have today,
or does it???

For med school, of which he wishes to do, where he gets his BA for that, isn't
that important. Not to mention the "DEBT FACTOR".

Old 05-20-2015, 02:24 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,288,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I'm wondering why he applied to all eight though. Seems excessive.

I got accepted to Brown for Journalism and turned it down. It was my only "Ivy League" choice.
But, come to think of it, I turned down going into Journalism all together
Journalism didn't have the opportunities in the late '80's-early 90's that it seems to have today,
or does it???

For med school, of which he wishes to do, where he gets his BA for that, isn't
that important. Not to mention the "DEBT FACTOR".
Your undergrad institution does matter when applying to med school, though any big state U will suffice. It's these "third tier" schools that don't have as high an acceptance rate.

Some of the Ivies promise full financial aid, meaning THEY decide how much you need and then give you that much. It might not be a "full ride".

Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 PM

29,425 posts, read 16,342,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
And U.S. News ranks the SEC well behind the ACC, B1G, and PAC 12.

Care to spew more falsehoods DSJJ?

U.S. News Rankings of Top Six Football Conferences | FOX Sports
Dude, did you even realize that is the exact link I have been quoting from, tell me what I posted that was false,

here ill quote the numbers form the link for you.... again

Quote:
California and you're ranked below Miami, which would make you the 8th best ACC school. Hook'em.).
ACC -- Average of 51.2
8. Duke
24. Virginia
27. Wake Forest
30. North Carolina
31. Boston College
36. Georgia Tech
44. Miami
58. Syracuse
58. Maryland
58. Pittsburgh
68. Clemson
72. Virginia Tech
97. Florida State
106. North Carolina State

Big Ten: Average of 57.5
12. Northwestern
29. Michigan
41. Wisconsin
46. Penn State
46. Illinois
56. Ohio State
65. Purdue
68. Minnesota
72. Michigan State
72. Iowa
83. Indiana
101. Nebraska

Pac 12: Average of 81.75
6. Stanford
21. Cal
24. UCLA
24. USC
46. Washington
97. Colorado
115. Oregon
120. Arizona
125. Utah
125. Washington State
139. Arizona State
139. Oregon State

SEC -- Average of 98.7
17. Vandy
54. Florida
63. Georgia
65. Texas A&M
77. Alabama
89. Auburn
97. Missouri
101. Tennessee
115. South Carolina
125. Kentucky
134. LSU
134. Arkansas
151. Ole Miss
160. Mississippi State
So how did I "Spew falsehoods " What number from this list is different from that of which I posted earlier ? ??????

Ill wait for your response

Old 05-20-2015, 02:43 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,057,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Some of the Ivies promise full financial aid, meaning THEY decide how much you need and then give you that much. It might not be a "full ride".
Yes, it's true that they say they will provide funding based on how they calculate your financial need.

But they are pretty generous and sometimes families with incomes in the $150,000-180,00 range (depending on which school) can qualify for some aid, depending on specific circumstances. It's not usually a full ride because most families can be reasonably expected to make some contribution but if many cases, it can be significantly less expensive to attend an Ivy or other equally well endowed school than most people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies