Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,744,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
His parents must be pretty well off if Harvard was going to make them pay a lot in tuition to attend.

Probably a good choice overall to go to the state school. He avoids any stigma of affirmative action (which he doesn't need) and stays close to home and family support network. And since he aced the ACT and SAT, he'll likely have no trouble with the MCAT and be able to attend any med school he wants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh, if it wasn't AA they'd be finding something else to stigmatize you about. AA is just the latest thing. Blacks were heavily stigmatized long before AA was even thought of.
Just wanted to note that just because he chose Alabama doesn't mean that he won't be labeled as an Affirmative Action pick.

I'm sure he will be. Most black students, no matter their credentials, when they go to a mainstream school they are seen as an Affirmative Action student.

I went to an HBCU and due to that, people assume that my education was sub par due to the perception that HBCUs are worse than mainstream colleges/universities. I remember a few years ago a similar story came out and the kid went to FAMU instead of the Ivies and people were up in arms and acting like he sold himself and his education short by choosing an HBCU even though he was going into business and FAMU has a really good business program and their graduates are recruited aggressively by many major corporations. They also have a great network of alumni.

Someone actually accused me to my face many years ago of being an AA recipient and I told them I went to an HBCU and they then told me I received a bad education due to that and also that I was an AA hire at my job even though our company was majority black and didn't participate in AA. FWIW, this was a resident of a building that my company managed.

I agree with desertdetroiter in that no matter if AA is around or not, black people are stigmatized as something. I personally find the whole AA thing funny

Someone else mentioned that no white kid would get into all 8 Ivies when earlier in the thread someone did post links that showed a white kid who did just that. And just FYI, many Ivies look at whether someone is from an educationally disadvantaged background or if they are the first generation to go to college. Many whites fit this category, especially those in rural areas or Appalachia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,035,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to note that just because he chose Alabama doesn't mean that he won't be labeled as an Affirmative Action pick.

I'm sure he will be. Most black students, no matter their credentials, when they go to a mainstream school they are seen as an Affirmative Action student.

I went to an HBCU and due to that, people assume that my education was sub par due to the perception that HBCUs are worse than mainstream colleges/universities. I remember a few years ago a similar story came out and the kid went to FAMU instead of the Ivies and people were up in arms and acting like he sold himself and his education short by choosing an HBCU even though he was going into business and FAMU has a really good business program and their graduates are recruited aggressively by many major corporations. They also have a great network of alumni.

Someone actually accused me to my face many years ago of being an AA recipient and I told them I went to an HBCU and they then told me I received a bad education due to that and also that I was an AA hire at my job even though our company was majority black and didn't participate in AA. FWIW, this was a resident of a building that my company managed.

I agree with desertdetroiter in that no matter if AA is around or not, black people are stigmatized as something. I personally find the whole AA thing funny

Someone else mentioned that no white kid would get into all 8 Ivies when earlier in the thread someone did post links that showed a white kid who did just that. And just FYI, many Ivies look at whether someone is from an educationally disadvantaged background or if they are the first generation to go to college. Many whites fit this category, especially those in rural areas or Appalachia.
I'm sorry you experienced that. I went to an Ivy and no, I never assumed any AA classmates were affirmative action students, I assumed they were smart kids who worked hard to get where they were, just like I did.

And it's also sad that people think HBCU provide an inferior education - they should try going there! I went to graduate school with some students from HBCUs and they were some of the best students in the program!

Old 05-20-2015, 09:37 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,539,531 times
Another good decision by this young man in obviously a long list. Good for him! He will be successful.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,853,256 times
Smart kid-and parents.

I went with the best value too, and am pretty happy with my decision.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:16 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,961,369 times
Of all the public schools he could have gone to for free, I'm surprised he chose a SEC school. Their academics are well below those of the Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC.

AA is alive and well; however, this kid and the one linked below got in on their own merits. I applaud their hard work. They don't go to the "we're vicitms" school of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news...ools/26137421/

Old 05-20-2015, 10:20 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,520,984 times
I suspect this is not that unusual. My oldest daughter was accepted at both Yale and Harvard and never even told me until years later because she thought it was going to be too much money. I'm glad she made that decision because I would probably have gone ahead and funded it even though it would have been very expensive. State school instead.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:27 AM

16,915 posts, read 14,252,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Of all the public schools he could have gone to for free, I'm surprised he chose a SEC school. Their academics are well below those of the Big 10, Pac 12 and ACC.
It looks like Alabama was his safety school. He knew he would be accepted there - and he knew he would get into their Honors College.

Most Honors College programs turn a big university into a smaller experience - and have higher academic standards as well. It can be more like a small private university inside a big public. So I wouldn't necesarily knock the academics at Alabama.

Anyway, if finances were going to be a consideration, I'm stumped for a couple of reasons: 1. He spent upwards of $600-$800 on application fees to all of these schools and 2. He had to have known exactly what the Ivies would cost before applying. There are calculators on their individual websites that estimate (very accurately I might add) what your cost will be based on your personal financial situation.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:46 AM

132 posts, read 122,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh, if it wasn't AA they'd be finding something else to stigmatize you about. AA is just the latest thing. Blacks were heavily stigmatized long before AA was even thought of.
Don't you just love the faux concern.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 AM

29,387 posts, read 16,304,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Federal need-based financial aid has academic progress requirements as well. Schools have to maintain requirements in terms of GPA and/or pass/fail of courses in order for students to keep getting federal financial aid.

Institutional need-based financial aid works the same way. Most institutions use the FAFSA to determine their financial aid award just like federal financial aid does.

Neither are a scholarship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Satisfactory academic progress is a requirements of all institutional and federal financial aid. That doesn't make it a scholarship. The only requirement to qualify for the aid is merit. You can lose it by performing poorly just like you can lose federal financial aid.

Interesting way to twist it up, however... but unsuccessful.
Why are we debating this when the schools themselves call them scholarships ?????????

there are true need based financial aid that isnt taken away unless you are put on academic probation or actually fail classes, a need based financial aid package with an academic requirement above pass fail, is a scholarship plain and simple.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,514,876 times
Smart kid If he works hard and has drive I suspect he'll be in the top tier of whatever profession he chooses.

I make more than most Doctors and graduated from a local State school.

Yeah I doubt this was an affirmative action case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies