Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is very understated. He's taken a bad situation and made it much worse and most of those decisions were based on politics. He's boxed himself in becsue going back and sending troops into Iraq is not going to be popular by any means.

My prediction is he will continue to allow this situation to fester and it may rollover to the next President. Action will not occur until we have another 9/11 event which I see as inevitable.

Clearly Obama`s solution is to run out the clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:59 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Anyone who is not a partisan hack knows that the war was pushed on us, promoted and voted on by both sides of the aisle.
I recall JFK being blamed for Vietnam he was the leader, I don't recall this nuanced approach where congress shares equal responsibility for his mistakes. It's getting a little old now but administrations make these decisions and they need to take the blame, without JFK or Bush we would never have gone to war.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I recall JFK being blamed for Vietnam he was the leader, I don't recall this nuanced approach where congress shares equal responsibility for his mistakes. It's getting a little old now but administrations make these decisions and they need to take the blame, without JFK or Bush we would never have gone to war.
Uh, it was Eisenhower who first sent advisors to Vietnam and LBJ who sent the first combat troops.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:18 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
It's always the President's responsibility for carrying out warfare, as that office is assigned Commander-in-Chief responsibility. Congress only votes permission for the money and continued use of the military resources.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:28 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
It's always the President's responsibility for carrying out warfare, as that office is assigned Commander-in-Chief responsibility. Congress only votes permission for the money and continued use of the military resources.
Personally, I'd like to see the way we go to war changed. I'd like to see a Constitutional Amendment barring the deployment of combat troops anywhere for longer than 6 months without a Declaration of War being voted by Congress. I'm damn tired of undeclared wars that waste so much blood and $$$, let the proponents of the MIC sign their names to the orders.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
We should send that chicken hawk, Boehner to Iraq to deal with ISIS, I am sure he could handle them on his own with his tears.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are no good options in the middle east as usual, but it's interesting that the GOP wants to give the president more authority than he requested.

What exactly does a good strategy look like?

Boehner: 'It's the President's Responsibility to Wage This Battle'
You know what I find interesting. That our media talks about the middle east ALL the time.
That our Congress votes to allow money to go over there ALL the time.
The American people vote in people that want to be over there ALL the time.
That includes both DEM & REPUB presidents.

We reap what we sow. If we keep doing that ^^^ we have no one to blame but ourselves.
https://www.lp.org/issues/foreign-policy

Old 05-20-2015, 02:52 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Anyone who is not a partisan hack knows that the war was pushed on us, promoted and voted on by both sides of the aisle.
That push was far from equal. I enjoy reading the partisan posts from those twisting themselves into pretzels trying to shift the blame from Dubya and Chicken Dick Cheney, who ran a months long campaign of disinformation to manufacture support for their precious oil war. Which they promptly mismanaged into an unwinnable quagmire that ultimately resulted in ISIS and made Iran the predominant power in the Persian Gulf.

House Vote:

Pub: 215 yay 6 nay

Dem: 82 yay 126 nay

Senate Vote:

Pub: 48 yay 1 nay

Dem: 29 yay 21 nay

Summary:

Pub: 263 for, 7 against

Dem: 111 for, 147 against

Old 05-20-2015, 02:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That push was far from equal. I enjoy reading the partisan posts from those twisting themselves into pretzels trying to shift the blame from Dubya and Chicken Dick Cheney, who ran a months long campaign of disinformation to manufacture support for their precious oil war. Which they promptly mismanaged into an unwinnable quagmire that ultimately resulted in ISIS and made Iran the predominant power in the Persian Gulf.

House Vote:

Pub: 215 yay 6 nay

Dem: 82 yay 126 nay

Senate Vote:

Pub: 48 yay 1 nay

Dem: 29 yay 21 nay

Summary:

Pub: 263 for, 7 against

Dem: 111 for, 147 against
Seems significant enough though, enough that the DEM party should not infer they are the
anti war party. Because they are NOT.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:58 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Uh, it was Eisenhower who first sent advisors to Vietnam and LBJ who sent the first combat troops.
Yes Eisenhower first sent advisors but our military expanded greatly under JFK and Johnson, the point is that they were responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies