Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 01:10 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would be very surprised if black people in professional attire are treated like streetcorner thugs. I have never seen this behavior, and would be shocked if it were common. I have a racist aunt/uncle and even they would treat a professionally-attired black person about the same as anyone else.
I've been treated like that before. It happened to me in a bookstore at a mall. The day I happened to be there, there were mostly Whites there. Some were dressed like skateboarders. I was wearing a suit. The store clerk kept following me around. No one else got followed in the store. All I wanted to was read a book. I got asked the "is there anything I can help you find" question. My answer, both times she asked was "no thank you". I could tell I was being treated suspiciously because I've worked retail. The only time you go up to someone and ask that is if you think they are stealing.

And something else. Why should I have to wear a suit to get respect? Why can't I just dress like a regular person? No I am not going to dress like a gang member. I'm talking about just a regular person.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:27 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've been treated like that before. It happened to me in a bookstore at a mall. The day I happened to be there, there were mostly Whites there. Some were dressed like skateboarders. I was wearing a suit. The store clerk kept following me around. No one else got followed in the store. All I wanted to was read a book. I got asked the "is there anything I can help you find" question. My answer, both times she asked was "no thank you". I could tell I was being treated suspiciously because I've worked retail. The only time you go up to someone and ask that is if you think they are stealing.

And something else. Why should I have to wear a suit to get respect? Why can't I just dress like a regular person? No I am not going to dress like a gang member. I'm talking about just a regular person.
I get asked that more times than I can count and I am a middle aged white lady. If you have worked retail you might be familiar with mystery shopping. One thing every company wants to know is if their sales people are greeting and engaging their customers and how quickly they are acknowledged. Eye contact is important as well.

Just a different perspective.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:48 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
This was tough to watch.. disgusting they way people act and for everyone else to stand around and watch is even worse. Horrible!

Old 05-22-2015, 01:52 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I get asked that more times than I can count and I am a middle aged white lady. If you have worked retail you might be familiar with mystery shopping. One thing every company wants to know is if their sales people are greeting and engaging their customers and how quickly they are acknowledged. Eye contact is important as well.

Just a different perspective.
Well, I was the only one getting followed in the store and there was only one person on staff at the bookstore that afternoon.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:53 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
And people wonder why cops shoot first and ask questions later in neighborhoods like these.
Really, I would be so scared being an officer in that area. this is why if i see a large group of youths like this, i will walk the other way.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:36 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And this is exactly why blacks will continue to be unfairly stereotyped. They commit a massive proportion of crimes so people (understandably) react with caution, because they are playing the odds. A Korean grandma has like .0001% the crime risk of an 18-y-o African Ameican male from the ghetto, so they are treated different from one another.

It's actually very logical to treat young black males differently than other people. Sad, but totally rational and understandable.
By that logic, we should treat every male stranger as a sex offender because males commit a massive proportion of sex crimes.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:41 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Really, I would be so scared being an officer in that area. this is why if i see a large group of youths like this, i will walk the other way.
The guys who did this were in their early to mid 20's. Full grown men picking on an innocent teen.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:46 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Quote:
That is the attitude individuals like you and me need to take. We shouldn't care at all. Individuals like us should be focusing on building ourselves up and doing our thing. We can only do so much. We are only obligated to do our best. And we should do it for ourselves, not to prove something to someone else. It isn't healthy at all. Caring what others think of us as Blacks just causes more problems, mental and emotional. I can understand why we would care. It just isn't healthy.
We shouldn't feel black guilt and shouldn't even engage in any type of discussion with people who are ignorant enough to lump us all in the same category. I love being black and no amount of negative posts from the same few white racists posters will change the positive feelings I have about my race nor will it cause me to change my behaviors or make negative statements against blacks collectively just so I can get whitey approval. Yes crime committed by any race is a shame, but if I have nothing to do with it, I don't need to change a d*** thing or clean up the mess that other person made. If someone wants to be racist then they're going to be, whether I did everything right or did everything wrong. I lose no amount of sleep and yawn when racists like the typical citydata crew(ahem Max sterling) make their silly ignorant rants. He can post all the evidence that he wants that indicate the "ills" that he sees in the so called black community and I'll still yawn, then smirk, then go right back to what I was doing.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:46 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Well, I was the only one getting followed in the store and there was only one person on staff at the bookstore that afternoon.
You assume the worse. It could be she was attracted to you or had other motives.

It's like when Obama said people locked their cars when he as a Black youth walked through the parking lot. No... They locked their cars cause that's what people do.

He assumed the worst and totally missed the real reasons.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:13 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
By that logic, we should treat every male stranger as a sex offender because males commit a massive proportion of sex crimes.
Correct you should be more careful with your children around males than females....consistent logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies