Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times

Advertisements

In all eight pages of this thread, I see not one mention of the group of people who will be hurt most by any raise in the minimum wage, that being seniors.
Once a year our retirement checks show a very small raise, which isn't anywhere close to the cost of inflation, so a raise to us is nothing.

Now,common sense tells us that a raise in what it cost businesses to pay for labor, is going to be passed on to the consumer in higher prices for goods and services.
Everyone gets a raise except the senior citizens, but still we have to pay higher cost for everything because of those raises.
If you don't think businesses will raise prices, you must be living under a rock.

Bob.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Oh, like spain where unemployment is 25% and youth unemployment maybe double that?

Great example. Want to know what to do? Stop tens of millions of uneducated, low skill illegals. Free market wage rises. Or is understanding supply / demand outside of your area of expertise?

Same with sweeden. Young generation there is rioting because there are no jobs even with their precious free college. People don't get it and never will. The only method that will work is to EARN stuff.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:34 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Yes, it will help low wage workers'. Screw what? $15/h is still not a livable wage especially in Los Angeles.
Then they should raise it again!

People Power! Power to the Peoples Proletariat!

Has worked wonders in Venezuela and it would work here as well.

Venezuela To Raise Minimum Wage By 15 Percent

Quote:
Maduro said Monday that the 15 percent increase will take effect in December. It follows a 30 percent boost in April and a 10 percent hike in January.
Now that's the kind of courage we need in a President!

//Sarcasm Off (Because some people can't tell I am being sarcastic)

Old 05-20-2015, 12:40 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
In all eight pages of this thread, I see not one mention of the group of people who will be hurt most by any raise in the minimum wage, that being seniors.
Once a year our retirement checks show a very small raise, which isn't anywhere close to the cost of inflation, so a raise to us is nothing.

Now,common sense tells us that a raise in what it cost businesses to pay for labor, is going to be passed on to the consumer in higher prices for goods and services.
Everyone gets a raise except the senior citizens, but still we have to pay higher cost for everything because of those raises.
If you don't think businesses will raise prices, you must be living under a rock.

Bob.
Well, to be fair, most loser millennials are the ones shrieking about raising the minimum wage. And they've made it clear that they hate older people, find them useless, and wish they would die. Because after all, those old folks staying in the work force are the only reason millennials can't find work.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:42 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
I don't spend more than $50 for pair of shoes regardless of the brand name. What does it matter, and what does it have to do with this topic?
Whoever made them is probably not paid well.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:48 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez
So, here is what I see happening, a combination of:

1. Employers hiring less employees while expecting greater productivity.

2. More automation.

3. Less mom and pop businesses.

4. Some higher prices.

The end result will be negative for most people.
Quote:
^^ All above false, except maybe slightly higher prices but if everybody makes more money that means they can afford paying a dollar or two more, OR owners/CEO makes slightly less money while keeping prices low.
How could they be false?

1) You don't think increasing wages will cause some slowdown in hiring? My experience in work is the more I am paid the more that is expected of me. Don't get me wrong it is reasonable for my employers to think that way.

2) The more labor costs the more attractive automation looks.

3) Mom and pop businesses are usually not paying a lot in wages. This will cut into their profit, it will cut into the incentive to open new businesses etc.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

Bob.
Funny you call it a raise. I'm assuming if you are retired you don't work, so why get a raise at all.
Call it what it really is, which is a cost of living allowance. And in many places
inflation has been at zero. Actually at present it is at 0.07 %

Think you still need a raise now

Of course if you live in Los A. your living cost (housing) might be extremely high,
in which case the rest of America can't help you

Old 05-20-2015, 12:54 PM

493 posts, read 385,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Same with sweeden. Young generation there is rioting because there are no jobs even with their precious free college. People don't get it and never will. The only method that will work is to EARN stuff.
Most unemployed youth in Sweden are Islamic/3rd world immigrants who barely speaks Swedish and don't want to integrate to society, and wants to collect welfare. Swedish government provides income to those youth without working, sometimes enough not in need of working.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 PM

903 posts, read 582,790 times
Quote:
It's impossible if you need to put food on the table quick and pay your bills. Learning a trade skill / going to college in hope of getting a new job takes time and money, and no guarantee in success. Many college workers make only $10 - 12/h.
You're right. There are no guarantees, but people must strive and work to obtain a better result. I worked two jobs for about 15-years until I finally acquired a position where I didn't need two jobs any longer. I started at $8/hr. Minimum wage is not designed to be a livable wage.

I put in extra time learning additional skills that made me a more valuable employee. Sometimes those extra hours were off the clock.

Now, I make considerably more and not because of the Gov't.

However, it is probably a good thing if LA sees a mass exit of people and employers. They use too much water as it is.

And since you are feeling so generous, why don't you cut your wage from $19 to $15 so that someone currently making $8 or $9, can at least have a little better standard of living.

Isn't it funny, how people never want to be generous with their own incomes only everybody else's.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM

493 posts, read 385,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
That's the liberal solution, use force - of course you'd have someone else apply the force. How about we force the liberals to move to Europe, Canada, New Zealand or Australia since they think all of those countries are paradise instead of changing the US?
or you conservatives move to China / 3rd world countries that treats people like s*** with no labor laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies