U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:05 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,523,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't know but as a fellow Democrat I find the lack of quality GOP candidates maddening. I know many intelligent, thoughtful and centrist Republicans IRL. Why can't the GOP find one to represent them nationally?
Yeah, I have always thought that a fiscal conservative, social mainstream GOP/Democratic candidate can win 80-90% of the Presidential elections. Hey, say what you will, Dubya and Clinton were kinda like that and they each won two elections.

But you know, such GOP candidate won't survive the primary unless he moves to the hard right on social issues. When he walks back to the middle for the general election (which cannot be won otherwise today), he just looks like a hypocrite and the right wingers who supported him in the primary feel betrayed.

Mick

Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 AM

4,942 posts, read 1,946,169 times
So there strings attached to his shoes that caused them to go tap tap.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 AM

432 posts, read 228,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well your a newbie, and hopefully not a troll or additional ID for someone else.

You say that you try to look at the GOP objectively, but then start a thread calling them names and impugning them.
Presumably all the while ignoring how unethical & hypocritical the current (D) frontrunner is.
Still I will try to give you the benefit of the doubt and take you at your word. Lets find out;

In the last 25 years, how many times have you voted (R) in a presidential election?
How many time have you voted (R) for Congress (House & Senate)?

I ask because on a cruise one day the couple we were sitting with brought up politics (last thing I wanted to discuss while on vacation). However after listening to them go on about how moderate they thought they were (even though it was obvious to me they were hard core leftists) I asked them the same question. They proceeded to say they had always voted (D) going back to the days of McGovern.
They had also never voted for an (R) for senator, nor as a Congressman.
I couldn't help but point out how their self image politically was delusional, as no one could vote that consistently for one party and still be fair and open-minded.
I pointed out how I leaned right, but had voted for (D's) over the years, especially the ones who were either moderate to conservative(dying breed), or if they were more qualified for the job. I also pointed out how I had voted for the (D) one time because the incumbent (R) was a kook.

The moral of the story is that many like to think of themselves as far minded willing to give the other party a fair shake.
However if they were to be honest with themselves, they'd likely want one of those old style booths (I think they still have in some of the northeaster states/cities) and pull one lever for everyone of their party from POTUS to dog catcher.
This without regard to whom would be a better candidate or was more qualified. Another words voting party over country.
Yet they delude themselves into thinking they are fair-minded.

`
You stated this more eloquently than I ever could. I'm a conservative but have voted D in both state and federal elections when I felt the candidate was more qualified.

It stuns me when people continue to ridicule ANY Republican when they elect dimwits like Reed & Pelosi. Hilary Clinton is so corrupt that it makes my head spin. Honestly guys, take off the rose colored glasses and see her for what she really is. You can bet your bottom dollar if any Republican was as corrupt as she is you would be condemning everything that they said or did and rightfully so.

With all that being said, with the country in the state that it's in, the everyday citizens keep tearing each other apart over social issues while the ones in power just laugh and keep feathering their nests. The career politicians, on both sides, are taking this country down fast.

It's fairly easy to know when a party, including your own is doing wrong. Just imagine the other side doing what your side is doing and you will see clearly why the other side is frustrated.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 AM

15,691 posts, read 26,668,043 times
A rant about how bad the Republican candidates are but no solid candidates from the Democratic side mentioned. With all the news reports of what Hillary has done over the years I can't find one reason anyone would say yes to that woman as a candidate.

For those that think the Republican party is dead, look to the Senate the House and many state Governments to see how that is working out for you.

The truth is that none of the candidates from the Republican side has got me excited as of yet. Admittedly I have not studied much of what they have said. Hillary has been in the news a lot though and not the best of things being said about her. I don't see her as electible at all.

Who else is running?

As far as the current administration, I can'w wait for January 20th, 2017

Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,523,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
For those that think the Republican party is dead, look to the Senate the House and many state Governments to see how that is working out for you.
The House should be safe for GOP, but the Senate . . . could get ugly. 24 (R) - 10 (D) edge on contested Senate seats. In comparison, 21 (D) - 15 (R) seats were up for reelction in 2014, and that was one of the reasons that GOP gained so many seats, say many experts.

Washington Post says 8 of 10 seats most likely to flip in 2016 are Republican (including Harry Reid's open seat). Democrats only need 4 more Senators to create a tie that could be broken by the VP in their favor (5 if Hillary loses). Hillary is expected to create higher turnout for the base, and that is going to create problems in Senate races where many people just vote down the column in Presidential years. We'll see, it should be interesting.

As for the House and governorships, the current demographics of those areas do not favor the Democrats in many cases, but Democrats can make some gains for sure.

Mick

Old 05-21-2015, 09:15 AM

35,061 posts, read 19,178,389 times
Default Why are Republican Presidential candidates so cartoony and stupid ??

It isn't complex.

The GOP was taken over by the "religious right" over the past 25 years. Barry Goldwater tried to warn them, but they wouldn't listen.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Quote by Barry Goldwater:

So, cartoonish freakzoids like the radical religious right tend to support cartoonish freakazoid candidates.

But you have to admit, those clowns are amusing. And this year there are so many that they'll need a clown bus, not a clown car.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:26 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,332,197 times
Default I can't get over the feeling

... that Hillary Clinton is the poison pill the electorate won't swallow.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:19 AM

2,760 posts, read 2,752,872 times
they are all cartoony and stupid. They are politicians.

I earge you not to encourage them and not to vote ever !

Old 05-21-2015, 10:28 AM

4,231 posts, read 7,242,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand-Pooba-9 View Post
I'm a registered Democrat for over 25 years but I try to look at the GOP objectively as I can.

However, I'm really puzzled at how they keep dredging up these total buffoons to represent their party in Presidential elections! I won't even get started about Dubya, who had the speaking skills of an 8th grader who rode the short yellow bus if you get my drift. GW Bush should be in front of a firing squad for all the lies about WMD's. Sarah Palin is like the punchline of a really bad junior high joke.

Just take this guy Dr. Ben Carson. A Yale graduate and youngest black chief neurosurgeon in the history of the United States, and yet he honestly believes homosexuality is a "choice" and that evolution is fake? They should revoke his medical license for even saying such drivel. Who would see a doctor with a brain as confused and ignorant as this man's?

And what about Jeb Bush --- the ultimate flip-floppity waffling liar? One day he says he would invade Iraq all over again, and the next day he says he wouldn't do it. Can anyone trust this dude with even the simplest questions?

Chris Christie ran up over $83,000 in NJ taxpayer dollars on snacks and booze at NFL games? Swear to God, that's something you'd hear from a stand up comedian, but it's actually true! Oh my, that is sooo pathetic and sad.

Can't wait to see Ol' Bible-Thumper Rick Santorum ramp up his schtick again. This weirdo wants to immediately launch Crusades in every Middle Eastern country and strap gay men to Tomahawk missiles in order to bomb Tehran and Pyongyang back to the Stone Age. What a lovely tolerant Christian, eh?

Hillary is laughing at how easy it will be to take the White House in 2016. Bill is already making the talk show rounds and it's looking like a victory tour, folks.
I am sure there are at least 55 million (the number of voters that voted Obama into his second term) idiots that agree with you.

I have always voted GOP for President. Look at the bufoons they have ran against since 1968.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:52 AM

5,818 posts, read 13,274,889 times
[quote=trudawg;39695890]

Unemployment numbers does not take into consideration those who were laid off and either are no longer eligible for benefits or have stopped searching for a job. I know of 6 people over 55 who were laid off (from a Fortune 500), used all their unemployment benefits and are living on what's left of their savings.

FEMA speaks for itself, I'd be happy to hear otherwise
Go to the Jersey shore and speak to the people that have yet to get any $$ from FEMA. Also Long Island. Yes. some have received their $$ but there are a lot of them out there that are waiting or have had to walk away from their homes. Talk to the 76 year old woman on LI, who lost her home and lives on SS. FEMA gave her $3600.

IRAN? Even Bin Laden knew not to trust the SOBs. HOPE and CHANGE? Try stupidity when the world is laughing at us.

Bush may have signed the agreement but Obama could have renegotiated it. Obama didn't want to hear it from the commanders in Iraq that they shouldn't pull out. (we are a military family who have sons who served there) Obama was more interested in keeping is campaign promise to pull out troops than listening to his advisors.

The amount of people on Food Stamps is at a 30 year high.

Consumer Confidence?
A Surprising Decline in Consumer Confidence

Just because you read an article or see a chart of statistics do you believe it? I can read an article, hear a news report and they contradict each other.

Believe what you want in your world, written reports and statistics aren't always the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies