Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times

Advertisements

The question: "Why are Republican Presidential candidates so cartoony and stupid ??"

Because people who can present the less-than-perfect alternatives posed by most major issues don't relate well to the spoiled and unrealistic juveniles who have become the prime clientele of the Democrats, and too many in the Republican field (Santorum, Palin, Huckabee -- to name three) are too closely identified with the Religious Right and other elements of the Republican fringe.

Ronald Reagan was the last great exception; Walker, Rand Paul and Huntsman appear to have most of the right stuff. But with the Democrats clearly focused on a campaign geared to the whining of the permanently disaffected and unwilling to acknowledge and adjust to the hard facts, the stalemate is likely to continue.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
It's all a great big game, democracy doesn't work without choices, and these are the choices you're given.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You're still being funny here... aren't you? How does a genetic trait that causes people not to reproduce get passed on? The gay tendency has to be from something that happens in the womb or early childhood.
Really!?

Everything from birth defects to mental illness are genetic and discourage or prevent reproduction, which in no way prevents them from existing. Please do some research before making sweeping, incorrect statements. Natural selection does not prohibit traits that reduce reproduction - it only discourages them.

Finally, there actually IS a natural selection based reason to have a small percentage of gay, non-reproducers in a population. Since they don't have kids themselves, they are free to spend their time and energy protecting the people with kids, which benefits the propagation of the species, if not the individual.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:32 PM

290 posts, read 544,521 times
I'm a moderate conservative (yes republican) gone independent. Why? Because so many have become too party centric. There is no focus on the actual issues. Instead we get infatuated with party agenda and a lemming state of party support.

I'm fiscally conservative because we do have extensive waste in government. At the same time does that mean I'm some evil right wing nut who doesn't care about things like the environment? No. I'm extremely supportive of alternative energy. I care about the environment and recycle.

I'm for a minimum wage hike. I also believe their is an extreme disparity between the wealthy and everyone else. Does that mean I'm a liberal whacko who doesn't understand the connection between jobs, a good economy and business stimulus? No. We need a wage hike, but we also need to be wary of raising it to high too quickly. We also need to realize that a wage hike hurts small business. I think small business should be offered more extensive tax and health coverage cuts to compensate.

In other words, I dont look at these issues black and white as a Republican or a Democrat. I am so tired of the party bickering.

By the way the creator of this thread is being pretty ignorant and biased.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I wouldn't say they're stupid,

Can you show me similar silliness on any such scale from Democratic officeholders and mainstream liberal pundits? No, you can't. To be sure, the left has some loons. But in mainstream Democratic/liberal circles, that sort of nuttery gets you marginalized. In mainstream Republican/conservative circles, the same sort of nuttery makes you a player.
This point bears mention. I've lived my whole 35+ years of life in blue states - ones heavily leaning Democrat - and I have yet to meet more than TWO "left-wing crazies." One hated Bush for reasons beyond what could be considered normal, and the other was just ignorant mixed with a bit of crazy. Meanwhile, right-wing lunatics are EVERYWHERE - and this is in a state that is mostly Democrat.

While I can't claim my methods are "scientific," 30+ years of evidence based on countless encounters with people from all ages and walks of life brings out the sad conclusion; a far greater percentage of Republicans are insane and extremists than the percentage of similar nuts among the Democrats; how else could one encounter far more right-wing loons than left-wingers in a state where those on the right are in the minority. And the right-wingers are just nastier, too:

1) The obsessive love of guns, violence, and war. The calls to kill: "those people," minorities, the entire middle east, etc.
2) The hatred of the poor and working class, while being too stupid to realize that their policies are self-destructive since most of them are, themselves, one layoff away from terminal unemployment.
3) The bigotry - I actually got a KKK recruitment speech from an angry old white guy at a former place of employment... in 2013... in a blue state... because that's normal.
4) The hypocrisy: guns are good, but only if my race has them. Government is bad, but I want my medicare and social security. Power corrupts, but it's okay if its corporate power. And the list keeps going.

It's a joke.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:59 PM

781 posts, read 736,838 times
Ah good; rational debate......

Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Why are all Presidential candidates so cartoony and stupid ??

Old 05-22-2015, 02:39 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
This point bears mention. I've lived my whole 35+ years of life in blue states - ones heavily leaning Democrat - and I have yet to meet more than TWO "left-wing crazies." One hated Bush for reasons beyond what could be considered normal, and the other was just ignorant mixed with a bit of crazy. Meanwhile, right-wing lunatics are EVERYWHERE - and this is in a state that is mostly Democrat.

While I can't claim my methods are "scientific," 30+ years of evidence based on countless encounters with people from all ages and walks of life brings out the sad conclusion; a far greater percentage of Republicans are insane and extremists than the percentage of similar nuts among the Democrats; how else could one encounter far more right-wing loons than left-wingers in a state where those on the right are in the minority. And the right-wingers are just nastier, too:

1) The obsessive love of guns, violence, and war. The calls to kill: "those people," minorities, the entire middle east, etc.
2) The hatred of the poor and working class, while being too stupid to realize that their policies are self-destructive since most of them are, themselves, one layoff away from terminal unemployment.
3) The bigotry - I actually got a KKK recruitment speech from an angry old white guy at a former place of employment... in 2013... in a blue state... because that's normal.
4) The hypocrisy: guns are good, but only if my race has them. Government is bad, but I want my medicare and social security. Power corrupts, but it's okay if its corporate power. And the list keeps going.

It's a joke.
Starting, I vote across parties lines. Next, I'm just trying to show a counter balance to your comments.

During my time in CA, 9 years, I knew many, many crazies on the left...like truly off their rocker to the left. CA is filled with them. There are so many, the ones that are don't realize how crazy they are. The worst of it was when Bush beat Gore in that election, and I understood that, since the game was so close. My brother has become one when he talks politics, complete blinders to what his side does wrong while highlighting what the other team does wrong.

Now I live in IL, it was great when Jesse Jackson Jr got re-elected while being treated for bi-polar disorder, at the same time Derek Smith got "re-elected" after just being kicked out of the IL house for a corruption indictment. Crazy.

This isn't to say I don't know crazies on the right, I do, I'm just showing how ridiculous both sides are.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:08 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Who is the moderator for this forum?
It should have been moved to the politics forum since political subjects aren't allowed in the Current Events forum.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:31 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Starting, I vote across parties lines. Next, I'm just trying to show a counter balance to your comments.

During my time in CA, 9 years, I knew many, many crazies on the left...like truly off their rocker to the left. CA is filled with them. There are so many, the ones that are don't realize how crazy they are. The worst of it was when Bush beat Gore in that election, and I understood that, since the game was so close. My brother has become one when he talks politics, complete blinders to what his side does wrong while highlighting what the other team does wrong.

Now I live in IL, it was great when Jesse Jackson Jr got re-elected while being treated for bi-polar disorder, at the same time Derek Smith got "re-elected" after just being kicked out of the IL house for a corruption indictment. Crazy.

This isn't to say I don't know crazies on the right, I do, I'm just showing how ridiculous both sides are.
Those who think your last sentence isn't true as the ones who don't know what is what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies