U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-22-2015, 08:57 AM
 
9,985 posts, read 6,719,556 times
Reputation: 5606

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
As a student of history, I can say that there has never been a nation free from fault. not one.

Further, I can say I know of no single group of people who have gathered for noble causes that are free from fault.

America has had fault. There is no question about that. But on Par, America is the greatest nation on the planet today.

America is a nation full of promise for every person here and for millions more who want to be here.

Well, I am also a "student of history", and I can tell you and any reader here that
as things are today, probably the best thing Americans can do is just forget about
their history, and don't even bother reviewing it anymore, because it is loaded with
disinformation, lack of true information, and bias in reporting.
What's happened here is that Americans today are still clinging on to yesteryears,
and are unwilling to face the facts as they are today. Things have been changing and
are continuing to change at such a rapid pace, combined with the lack of real news
in the media. The romanticized notion of the past - and the incorrect belief that
America is still the same country it was many years ago are a stumbling block.
Americans need to stop visualizing their country as it was and start confronting
the realities which exist today and are developing at breakneck pace.
I say don't waste your time on history, because I can promise you that none of
the people who are making bad things happen care one iota about the past of
this country. Understand today. Do not have the blind trust in authority which has been
and is exploited all the time; the events of today are more important because if
they are not properly understood, the end of this country will come while people
are cooking hot dogs and waving flags on the holidays - as the serpents slither
under their feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:06 AM
 
26,309 posts, read 24,366,354 times
Reputation: 15985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Well, I am also a "student of history", and I can tell you and any reader here that
as things are today, probably the best thing Americans can do is just forget about
their history, and don't even bother reviewing it anymore, because it is loaded with
disinformation, lack of true information, and bias in reporting.
What's happened here is that Americans today are still clinging on to yesteryears,
and are unwilling to face the facts as they are today. Things have been changing and
are continuing to change at such a rapid pace, combined with the lack of real news
in the media. The romanticized notion of the past - and the incorrect belief that
America is still the same country it was many years ago are a stumbling block.
Americans need to stop visualizing their country as it was and start confronting
the realities which exist today and are developing at breakneck pace.
I say don't waste your time on history, because I can promise you that none of
the people who are making bad things happen care one iota about the past of
this country. Understand today. Do not have the blind trust in authority which has been
and is exploited all the time; the events of today are more important because if
they are not properly understood, the end of this country will come while people
are cooking hot dogs and waving flags on the holidays - as the serpents slither
under their feet.
THANK YOU FOR AN AMAZING AND LOGICAL POST!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:16 AM
 
26,309 posts, read 24,366,354 times
Reputation: 15985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
As a student of history, I can say that there has never been a nation free from fault. not one.

Further, I can say I know of no single group of people who have gathered for noble causes that are free from fault.

America has had fault. There is no question about that. But on Par, America is the greatest nation on the planet today.

America is a nation full of promise for every person here and for millions more who want to be here.
If things continue as they are....(regarding ignoring our laws) it soon won't be....
you can say what you will, but when people disregard laws, everything becomes chaotic and that is what is happening....Like I said before, I remember America as it was....and the trickle down effect has been astrinomical.

I remember when people respected the personal space of others.
I remember when you sat in a doctors office you whispered.
I remember when people obeyed traffic laws
when people paid attention to the road and didn't have a phone sticking out of their ear while driving.
when people drove slower
when people didn't take something for nothing
when people knew who their neighbors were and we all sat out in the summer visiting each other
when neighbors looked out for all the neighborhood kids
when neighbors yelled at us and it was fine with our parents
when someone didn't get sued for an accident
when we bought 3 rooms of furniture on a handshake and paid it all off
when debt wasn't an issue
when kids were respectful or else and spankings were not child abuse.
when we actually learned something in school
when our streets were so safe, I walked to the wading pool when I was five years old, when I was eight I was on the swimming team.
when growing up, we were much more mature at a younger age
when as a kid, I had chores to do and a job to go to and everything wasn't handed to me.
when I respected my neighbors and couldn't yell in the yard
when my teacher yelled at me, and then I got a spanking when I got home!
and I could go on and on
we didn't rely on telephones like today
we didn't sit in front of the TV as kids, we were outside playing, with all the neighborhood kids
when people respected cops
when boys duked it out and then they became best of friends and parents didn't interfer...
when the whole world moved a lot slower
when we didn't have to worry about terrorists or child molesters

Our world was much different, and I thank God for growing up when I did

everything was much stricter...our laws and parents were strict....we got spankings, we were taught respect and awareness for the people around us...to be responsible for others, to watch out for others, and to respect the property and lives of others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM
 
16,257 posts, read 9,052,754 times
Reputation: 6529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Well, I am also a "student of history", and I can tell you and any reader here that
as things are today, probably the best thing Americans can do is just forget about
their history, and don't even bother reviewing it anymore, because it is loaded with
disinformation, lack of true information, and bias in reporting.
What's happened here is that Americans today are still clinging on to yesteryears,
and are unwilling to face the facts as they are today. Things have been changing and
are continuing to change at such a rapid pace, combined with the lack of real news
in the media. The romanticized notion of the past - and the incorrect belief that
America is still the same country it was many years ago are a stumbling block.
Americans need to stop visualizing their country as it was and start confronting
the realities which exist today and are developing at breakneck pace.
I say don't waste your time on history, because I can promise you that none of
the people who are making bad things happen care one iota about the past of
this country. Understand today. Do not have the blind trust in authority which has been
and is exploited all the time; the events of today are more important because if
they are not properly understood, the end of this country will come while people
are cooking hot dogs and waving flags on the holidays - as the serpents slither
under their feet.
and I would argue you have failed to understand the founders.

not having blind trust in authority is what this country was founded on. knowing that is vital.

I don't disagree that America is now moving away from some of the things that made it great.

abandon an understanding of hour history? I think you've lost your mind. I think we need to quit being silly and wringing our hands over the failures of long dead men who lived by a different social-moral paradigm. I think we need to embrace the good and understand the bad in the context of its time

Seek to expand on the good and seek to avoid the failures of the past as we move at breakneck speed into the future.

One of the single greatest dangers to American society is the American Progressive Academia's attempt to nullify the MEN who founded this country and wrote its founding documents using modern moral understanding to view their lives. The goal of this is not to understand the complexity of human nature, rather it is to NULLIFY THEIR WORK. That work being AMERICA itself.

HISTORY and a proper understanding of it is umportant for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 AM
 
Location: north central Ohio
8,422 posts, read 4,325,095 times
Reputation: 4976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I know that most countries in the western hemisphere have a similar history as far as the removal of their native peoples(and slavery) but my issue has always been with those Americans who want to romanticize about the U.S having some righteous founding.
Exactly,and it makes me want to hurl when our leaders boast how great American is,while ignoring all the violations of human rights and international law,and all the corruption,OMG!

All the BS history taught in our schools!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:27 AM
 
47 posts, read 44,667 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Well, I am also a "student of history", and I can tell you and any reader here that
as things are today, probably the best thing Americans can do is just forget about
their history, and don't even bother reviewing it anymore, because it is loaded with
disinformation, lack of true information, and bias in reporting.
What's happened here is that Americans today are still clinging on to yesteryears,
and are unwilling to face the facts as they are today. Things have been changing and
are continuing to change at such a rapid pace, combined with the lack of real news
in the media. The romanticized notion of the past - and the incorrect belief that
America is still the same country it was many years ago are a stumbling block.
Americans need to stop visualizing their country as it was and start confronting
the realities which exist today and are developing at breakneck pace.
I say don't waste your time on history, because I can promise you that none of
the people who are making bad things happen care one iota about the past of
this country. Understand today. Do not have the blind trust in authority which has been
and is exploited all the time; the events of today are more important because if
they are not properly understood, the end of this country will come while people
are cooking hot dogs and waving flags on the holidays - as the serpents slither
under their feet.
What a load of garbage. Americans should be proud of their history, just as Chinese, British, French, and Russians should do the same. Every nation teaches their own history and the history of the world differently, generally speaking with a self-centered view. WW2 is a great example. US classrooms teach a very US centric view of the war, basically concentrating on 1941-1945. Chinese WW2 history is taught in a much different light.

Name a country that doesn't romanticize it's past. I'll wait.

History, especially of the last 150 years, is EXTREMELY important for understanding why the world is the way it is today, and how to learn from past mistakes. America is not going to be competitive in the future marketplace without continuing to define itself, and part of that definition is by the nation's history. America's past is dominated by ingenuity, strong work ethic, quality of work, self sufficiency, and free market economics. None of those are bad things, and are ingrained into America's cultural past. No nation currently on the rise is one that is not striving toward those same cultural staples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:32 AM
 
10,543 posts, read 11,972,706 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
and I would argue you have failed to understand the founders.

not having blind trust in authority is what this country was founded on. knowing that is vital.

I don't disagree that America is now moving away from some of the things that made it great.

abandon an understanding of hour history? I think you've lost your mind. I think we need to quit being silly and wringing our hands over the failures of long dead men who lived by a different social-moral paradigm. I think we need to embrace the good and understand the bad in the context of its time

Seek to expand on the good and seek to avoid the failures of the past as we move at breakneck speed into the future.

One of the single greatest dangers to American society is the American Progressive Academia's attempt to nullify the MEN who founded this country and wrote its founding documents using modern moral understanding to view their lives. The goal of this is not to understand the complexity of human nature, rather it is to NULLIFY THEIR WORK. That work being AMERICA itself.

HISTORY and a proper understanding of it is umportant for the future.
Spot on. Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 AM
 
9,985 posts, read 6,719,556 times
Reputation: 5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
HISTORY and a proper understanding of it is umportant for the future.
Of course, however it is truly unreachable that a PROPER understanding of history
will ever be comprehended by enough people to change anything. Consider that
the "basics" of American hi-STORY, especially that since the Civil War has been
taught, "understood", and it DID ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD whatsoever. Zero.
We are in this position, which it seems most still do not understand today because
of the backward-looking wishy-hopey patriotism which has been exploited.
Americans have always known their history, but that didn't stop the loss of our
country over the last 100 years at all. Things are much worse than people are aware of.
Today is becoming too late. We are losing the ability to do anything at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:39 AM
 
Location: north central Ohio
8,422 posts, read 4,325,095 times
Reputation: 4976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Of course, however it is truly unreachable that a PROPER understanding of history
will ever be comprehended by enough people to change anything. Consider that
the "basics" of American hi-STORY, especially that since the Civil War has been
taught, "understood", and it DID ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD whatsoever. Zero.
We are in this position, which it seems most still do not understand today because
of the backward-looking wishy-hopey patriotism which has been exploited.
Americans have always known their history, but that didn't stop the loss of our
country over the last 100 years at all. Things are much worse than people are aware of.
Today is becoming too late. We are losing the ability to do anything at all.
So very true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2015, 09:44 AM
 
32,221 posts, read 26,049,985 times
Reputation: 18882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Well, I am also a "student of history", and I can tell you and any reader here that
as things are today, probably the best thing Americans can do is just forget about
their history, and don't even bother reviewing it anymore, because it is loaded with
disinformation, lack of true information, and bias in reporting.
What's happened here is that Americans today are still clinging on to yesteryears,
and are unwilling to face the facts as they are today. Things have been changing and
are continuing to change at such a rapid pace, combined with the lack of real news
in the media. The romanticized notion of the past - and the incorrect belief that
America is still the same country it was many years ago are a stumbling block.
Americans need to stop visualizing their country as it was and start confronting
the realities which exist today and are developing at breakneck pace.
I say don't waste your time on history, because I can promise you that none of
the people who are making bad things happen care one iota about the past of
this country. Understand today. Do not have the blind trust in authority which has been
and is exploited all the time; the events of today are more important because if
they are not properly understood, the end of this country will come while people
are cooking hot dogs and waving flags on the holidays - as the serpents slither
under their feet.
i disagree with your port. first americans should NOT forget their history, in fact though we are doing just that. the powers that be have been rewriting history for years now, some to hide the sine of the past, others who magnify the sins of the past to force social change.

but society has been in a constant state of flux since the founding of this country. every generation has seen upheavals of change and thinks that only happened with their generation and that the previous generation had things easier, better, what ever.

and this country has always faced challenges that "might end the country" as we know it, remember world war two? vietnam? korea? world war one? the hippie movement of the 60s(tune in, turn on, drop out)? this country has survived all that and more, and i believe we can survive a whole lot more.

true our elected officials waver, and move the country one way or the other from time to time, but in the end the country comes back to where it was and moves forward again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top