Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 05:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
The United States has been and continues to be the Golden Land, that's why overwhelmingly large numbers of people will do almost anything to come here, in spite of all the flaws the naysayers continually spout.
People come here because they are likely to find work here. Not because they have a romanticized notion of the US being a "Golden Land" (what the heck is that?). Just like people from Africa and elsewhere emigrate to Europe - because they are able to find work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 05:47 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
People come here because they are likely to find work here. Not because they have a romanticized notion of the US being a "Golden Land" (what the heck is that?). Just like people from Africa and elsewhere emigrate to Europe - because they are able to find work there.
And that's just fine just as long as they follow the legal channels to come here and that we actually have jobs for them without diminishing job opportunities for Americans.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:55 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Certainly a legitimate reason but not the only one by far.

I do pity your limited vision but that's all some are capable of.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:44 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Are most people here saying you love America's history and are proud of it white?

Many blacks seem to have a more critical view of America's history even if they are proud to be American. The black experience doesn't allow blacks to overlook America's historical flaws. Blacks and other people of color even if they are patriotic have been more aware of America's hypocrisy when it comes to preaching about democracy.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMkmB85m1s

Old 05-21-2015, 09:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Is Anyone Really Proud Of U.S History?

Yes, i am sure there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I know that most countries in the western hemisphere have a similar history as far as the removal of their native peoples(and slavery) but my issue has always been with those Americans who want to romanticize about the U.S having some righteous founding.
Lol, why do you have an issue with how OTHER PEOPLE see their countries history?

I'm actually not proud of U.S History, The US and the whole world has seen some very dark moments and luckily history is history i'm just glad i was born in a peaceful era.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
I know that most countries in the western hemisphere have a similar history as far as the removal of their native peoples(and slavery) but my issue has always been with those Americans who want to romanticize about the U.S having some righteous founding.
It ain't just the US: I'm gonna say about every country in history had some bad things in its past.

I'm proud of being an American: despite parts of our past being bad by 2015 rules; it's a part of who we are.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Are most people here saying you love America's history and are proud of it white?

Many blacks seem to have a more critical view of America's history even if they are proud to be American. The black experience doesn't allow blacks to overlook America's historical flaws. Blacks and other people of color even if they are patriotic have been more aware of America's hypocrisy when it comes to preaching about democracy.

Example:

Not just Black people: many "white" groups and ALL Asian/Indian groups had a rough time of it here in the US, like us "Irish".

Old 05-21-2015, 09:54 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Lol, why do you have an issue with how OTHER PEOPLE see their countries history?
I'm an American(Black American specifically).

Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:

Example:

What does race have to do with anything? that sounds soooo 1950s

People who are critical of US history are critical of US history, it doesn't matter what your skin color is lol.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I've raid that there were many who wanted Cuba as a state even in the early 19th century, but that it never happened mainly because those in the north believed that it would be a slave state, thus tipping the political balance further in favor of slavery.
I believe it. The "slave" thing was why the US didn't take ALL of Mexico in 1848; too many non white people plus there were real fears the dark skin Mexicans would've been put into slavery. If Mexico was more like Spain in "race"; there'd be NO Mexico in 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies