Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2015, 06:15 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not On The Payroll View Post
I'm proud to know the truth.

Unfortunately liberal schools and teachers today are editing and omitting parts of the history books they deem unnecessary or don't agree with.

In 10-20 more years who knows what kind of rubbish they will have added or omitted to/from those books.

Everything in your post was addressed in the book 1984.
The main character, Winston Smith, works in The Records Department of the Ministry of Truth. His job is to change past writings of newpapers, books or anything else "The Party" (Big Brother) wants changed to reflect how they want the world to appear.

A foreboding quote from that book pertaining to Smith's job...

"Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."

The quote kind of aligns with your post, no?

I suggest this book to anyone with half a mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Is Anyone Really Proud Of U.S History?

Damn right! I am proud of our history.
Can you be more specific? I mean, what are you proud of that the United States has done in the past 50 years? Send a man to the moon?

In the last 100 years, the only thing anyone could possibly say is that we "helped to defeat the Nazis". But to defeat the Nazis, we supported arguably the most oppressive regime in world history, the Soviet Union. Which guaranteed the fall of most of Asia to some form of communism(China's Mao, Cambodia's Pol Pot, North Korea, Vietnam, etc).

If anyone understands the actual history of WWII, and not the propaganda and lies we are told about Hitler, the Nazis, and the "holohoax". You'll realize, much like George Patton did, that we were fighting the wrong enemy.

General Patton mysteriously died not long after WWII, and even Bill O'Reilly touched a little on this strange death in his book "Killing Patton". A lot of people think it was an assassination, because George Patton was a staunch critic of the story of the holocaust, the Nuremberg trials, and denazification.

Killing Patton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He wanted to rearm the German Army and march on the Soviet Union. But was prevented from doing so by the FDR/Truman administration, who at Yalta and Potsdam, handed over Eastern Europe to the Soviets.

If we go back even further, most people will claim to be "proud of the Civil War", because "we fought to end slavery". Such a view of history is about as far from reality as possible. The Civil War was not fought in the name of abolishing slavery. And Frederick Douglas explains pretty clearly that Lincoln didn't care whatsoever for black people. He pushed to abolish slavery as a war measure, and for political reasons.

The only part of American History that anyone could possibly be proud of, is the revolution itself, and the founding fathers. Especially our Declaration of Independence. Which is possibly the most important document in world history.

As for our Constitution, I will agree with Jefferson that "Our Constitution has many good articles, and some bad ones."

Our Constitution is one of the better Constitutions, but it was far from perfect. Which is why it has been amended 27 times. And the Supreme Court has reinterpreted it so many times, few have any idea what it even says or means.

I like the American people(at least, many/most of them). I despise our government, and I hate practically all American History post-1808(after Jefferson's presidency).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
in the dark ages........they still are in 2015 if you go to many places in Africa and many places in the Central and South America and see how the Natives live. Backwards in every way.

U.S. greatness has nothing to do with slavery or the native Americans.
Well, be careful about how you define "great" and "backwards". I would say that America is a pretty degenerate nation, full of soulless consumers, who value money over relationships. America is certainly wealthy and powerful, but I don't think if I would define it as "great". And I would say that America of the past was probably "greater" than America today. It was certainly more free, and probably more happy.

As for the "dark ages". Most of what people believe about the supposed "dark ages" is a myth. In fact, no one calls it the dark ages anymore(that was a term coined during the Renaissance). It is now just the "Middle ages". And the Early Middle Ages(what you would believe was the dark ages), was actually pretty good times, at least compared to times preceding it under the Roman Empire.

How the Middle Ages Really Were*|*Quora

5 Ridiculous Myths You Probably Believe About the Dark Ages | Cracked.com

15 Myths about the Middle Ages

Why a medieval peasant got more vacation time than you

Preindustrial workers worked fewer hours than today's

The only thing that really sucked about the middle-ages, was the scumbag governments(especially after Charlemagne). Just like now.

Don't fall into the elitist trap, equating wealth and power to greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyzi9GNZFMU

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-25-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,269,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Well, be careful about how you define "great" and "backwards". I would say that America is a pretty degenerate nation, full of soulless consumers, who value money over relationships. America is certainly wealthy and powerful, but I don't think if I would define it as "great". And I would say that America of the past was probably "greater" than America today. It was certainly more free, and probably more happy.

As for the "dark ages". Most of what people believe about the supposed "dark ages" is a myth. In fact, no one calls it the dark ages anymore(that was a term coined during the Renaissance). It is now just the "Middle ages". And the Early Middle Ages(what you would believe was the dark ages), was actually pretty good times, at least compared to times preceding it under the Roman Empire.

The only thing that really sucked about the middle-ages, was the scumbag governments(especially after Charlemagne). Just like now.

Don't fall into the elitist trap, equating wealth and power to greatness.

soulless consumers???? people didn't value money in the past or other countries????? you think if other countries in the world could trade to have what the U.S. has, they wouldn't do it???? of course they would trade positions in a heartbeat and they wouldn't feel guilty about it like you....lol

The rest is your opinion about America being happier in then past than today. Life before was simple compare to today because of the information age and global economy and how easily you can connect with anyone in the world with today's technology. Everything is faster today, I don't consider that negative.

I really doubt you would trade your life and lifestyle in the U.S. for one in African tribes or Native American tribes anywhere in the Americas today . Don't feel guilty or bad about it. Feel proud and lucky to be born in a great nation and one of the most advanced civilization in world's history.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:00 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
I'm proud of US history. I have no hard feelings for what was done in the past as it has made us what we are today.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I'm proud of US history. I have no hard feelings for what was done in the past as it has made us what we are today.

I agree....people like to focus on the negative and can't put things under perspective......if the worst thing they can say about the U.S. is our slavery past then they are clueless since slavery was an institution that was practiced in most countries and continents in the world from Asia, Africa, India and the Americas........I don't see the Japanese, Chinese, Italians, South America, Central America and Africans have this guilt trip about their past as much as some Americans are with our past.......some Americans and most are liberals can't let it go.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
soulless consumers???? people didn't value money in the past or other countries????? you think if other countries in the world could trade to have what the U.S. has, they wouldn't do it???? of course they would trade positions in a heartbeat and they wouldn't feel guilty about it like you....lol
Lets back up a minute. The concept of being a "producer" and a "consumer" is a relatively new idea. Most people were fundamentally subsistence farmers until the advent of capitalism/enclosure/industrialism/market revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3u4EFTwprM

The question is really, "Why was capitalism invented?". Was it actually the outgrowth of individuals? Or was it actually the product of the wealthy elites, who wanted to "maximize economic growth" at any cost(read about the Enclosure acts), for the benefit of themselves and "the state"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNftCCwAol0

With that said, I agree with you that other countries would take America's place if they could. But that doesn't mean that what America is doing is good. I mean, saying that America isn't great, doesn't mean that anyone else is better. It just means that America isn't great. China isn't great either.

My point was merely that, you shouldn't equate being rich and powerful, with being great. I mean, China is becoming one of the most powerful countries on Earth. But China is one of the last places on Earth that I would want to live.

Quote:
The rest is your opinion about America being happier in then past than today. Life before was simple compare to today because of the information age and global economy and how easily you can connect with anyone in the world with today's technology. Everything is faster today, I don't consider that negative.

I really doubt you would trade your life and lifestyle in the U.S. for one in African tribes or Native American tribes anywhere in the Americas today. Don't feel guilty or bad about it. Feel proud and lucky to be born in a great nation and one of the most advanced civilization in world's history.

First, the question is "What is the point of life?". Isn't it fundamentally "to be happy"? If technology and materialism makes us less happy, then doesn't that mean it is a "bad thing"?

Materialism: a system that eats us from the inside out | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

Spending More Won't Make You Happy

The Psychology Of Materialism, And Why It's Making You Unhappy

Why We're So Materialistic, Even Though It Doesn't Make Us Happy

As for living with African tribes or Native-American tribes. The issue here is two-fold. First, tribalism is just that, tribal. A tribe has a set of values, traditions, a culture, and a religion, which I do not agree with, and would not feel comfortable in. I mean, at one time, I really wanted to move to Europe. Then I realized that I would basically forever be an outsider. Had I been born in some other country, I would love it, but I wasn't.

With that said, it reminds me of the old quote...

"Indian Chief ‘Two Eagles’ was asked by a white U.S. government official, “You have observed the white man for 90 years. You’ve seen his wars and his technological advances. You’ve seen his progress and the damage he’s done.â€

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued, “Considering all these events, in your opinion where did the white man go wrong?â€

The Chief stared at the government official and then replied, “When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex.â€

Then the chief leaned back and smiled, “Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that.â€

Where white man went wrong - BoreMe

Sometimes I try to imagine the United States as the Indians saw it, especially in the plains(like Oklahoma). These wide open spaces. No roads, no fences, no real permanent dwellings. Just wandering across a vast open space. Buffalo all across the plains. Seeing the flocks of "passenger pigeons". The rivers before they were all dam'ed off. It would have had a pretty amazing experience.

As a man especially, things were much better in the past than today. But its impossible to go back, and the United States(and other "nation-states") don't treat "undeveloped/unorganized" peoples very well. They, as you know, are "standing in the way of progress".

Old 05-25-2015, 10:26 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
Quote:

Fact is, Native Americans and African Tribes were NOT advance in many areas,,,they were basically stuck in the dark ages........they still are in 2015 if you go to many places in Africa and many places in the Central and South America and see how the Natives live. Backwards in every way.
Over simplification. Europeans were more advanced in those areas you mentioned(science,technology)when they started exploring and colonizing but not all Africans and Native tribes in America were as backwards and non influential as you are assuming.

African empires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trade routes in pre-colonial west Africa:

The Trans-Saharan Gold Trade (7th?14th century) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

-----------------

Also do some reading on the mathematics of the Mayans in this link below.

julie

Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Over simplification. Europeans were more advanced in those areas you mentioned(science,technology)when they started exploring and colonizing but not all Africans and Native tribes in America were as backwards and non influential as you are assuming.

African empires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trade routes in pre-colonial west Africa:

The Trans-Saharan Gold Trade (7th?14th century) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

-----------------

Also do some reading on the mathematics of the Mayans in this link below.

julie

the Natives and African Tribes also did exploring and colonizing and they never accomplished or came near to the accomplishments of the European Civilization that we enjoy today.

the Mayans mathematics didn't help them at the end. Their civilization got destroyed within.

This is not Over simplification.....the fact is that the United States is the country that it is today in technology and innovation because of the European Civilization that immigrated to the U.S.......English is the main language that glues everything together,,,,a distant second is Spanish which also comes from European Civilization.

Without that the U.S. and the New World would be different places.....night and day!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:42 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn
I thought it was the whites who taught the Indians about raping and scalping!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; even IF 100 percent right, you "forgot" about how the stronger American Indian tribes killed the defeated tribes except for the younger women and small kids. Everyone else was murdered in cold blood. A lot of this crap came down BEFORE 1492.
YEAH RIGHT,and you KNOW this..........how?????

Old 05-26-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

As a man especially, things were much better in the past than today. But its impossible to go back, and the United States(and other "nation-states") don't treat "undeveloped/unorganized" peoples very well. They, as you know, are "standing in the way of progress".

again, that's your opinion based on nothing. Back then most people died of many illnesses that they didn't have the technology and knowledge to confront. Life was much harder in the past for the common folks that's why most people didn't get to live past 45 years.

Back then minorities and women didn't have basic rights that we have today. Extreme poverty was much higher and I'm not talking about just the U.S. but the world.

The United States helps many undeveloped/unorganized people around the world in funds and innovations and we accept millions of poor uneducated immigrants to our country more than any country in the world......every technology that comes out of the U.S. we share with the rest of the world.

again, that might not be enough for some liberals who want an Utopia world but that's not realistic...............I don't feel ashamed or guilty for what the U.S. has accomplished in our short time as a Republic. I wish liberals would feel the same way and puts things under perspective when it comes to history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies