Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't get the whole liberal part, but good for the Boy Scouts to join the rest of the real world on this issue.
Just another baseless, gratuitous whine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
My son (and therefore I) is a Cub Scout.

I think the only possible concern is that a gay man out in the woods with a bunch of teenage Boy Scouts is akin to a straight man out in the woods with a bunch of teenage Girl Scouts. Not a question of pedophelia at all. Just basic attraction.
However, Scouts are structured so that no single adult is ever alone with anyone- "Two Deep Leadership."

And it is not like Gays are anymore nefarious than Straights. All adults in Scouting are expected to act a role models. Scouts are expected to conform and follow the pack.

Consequently, I think Scouting will do just fine as long as everyone checks their lifestyles and ideologies at the door.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
That makes as much sense is allowing a woman to be a scout leader.
Tilt11, meet reality. Reality, this is Tilt11.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Give me a break. This has nothing to do with not excluding kids and everything to do with allowing openly gay adults to be in leadership positions where they're surrounded by impressionable children.
An Eagle Scout - who probably didn't have any idea of things sexual when he started out as a cub scout - realizes what his sexual orientation is, probably in his mid to late teens.

He wants to give back to the organization by becoming a leader, you wish to make sure he's of the apporved sexual orientation first. Who has an agenda here, again?

Quote:
And pushing their agenda is next. Goodbye helping old ladies cross the street. Hello to the gay agenda and learning more than you ever wanted to know about the LGBT lifestyle.
Dogs and cats living together, human sacrifice, MASS HYSTERIA!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes there are, and I have no clue why. Ask the BSA, they set the rules for their group. They decided in 1988 that women could serve in leadership roles.
Correct. My den leader was a woman growing up and she was like a second mom to me in grade school. Some women want to be in leadership roles because they have kids in scouts and want to be a part of the program with their sons.

Likewise, there might be a gay dad whose son is in scouting and he might want to be a part of the organization too.

The only thing I find strange is when an adult of either gender volunteers for the organization with absolutely no connection to BSA.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:22 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Correct. My den leader was a woman growing up and she was like a second mom to me in grade school. Some women want to be in leadership roles because they have kids in scouts and want to be a part of the program with their sons.

Likewise, there might be a gay dad whose son is in scouting and he might want to be a part of the organization too.

The only thing I find strange is when an adult of either gender volunteers for the organization with absolutely no connection to BSA.
Yep. All of our leaders either currently have kids in scouting, had kids in scouting, or were scouts themselves.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
My son (and therefore I) is a Cub Scout.

I think the only possible concern is that a gay man out in the woods with a bunch of teenage Boy Scouts is akin to a straight man out in the woods with a bunch of teenage Girl Scouts. Not a question of pedophelia at all. Just basic attraction.
However, Scouts are structured so that no single adult is ever alone with anyone- "Two Deep Leadership."

And it is not like Gays are anymore nefarious than Straights. All adults in Scouting are expected to act a role models. Scouts are expected to conform and follow the pack.

Consequently, I think Scouting will do just fine as long as everyone checks their lifestyles and ideologies at the door.
Two questions, one for each of the highlighted comments....

• It's not? What do you base that on? Yes, it is what you are supposed to say and it is what you are supposed to think in 2015. It is the PC party line. It is not reality.
  • Why should everyone check their lifestyle and ideology at the door? Especially in a group like the scouts that is all about ideals? Is that truly the kind of world you want to tailor? A world where people are afraid to reveal their normalcy for fear of offending the anti-social few who have no use or respect for the scouting oath in the first place?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No gays. A parent has to be reassured that when they send Johnny out the door it is not into the clutches of a pedophile.
Then Johnny will just have to stay home in the basement because they are no guarantees in life.

[naive little Johnny]

Old 05-22-2015, 12:22 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
And in fact Cub Scouts have had Den Mothers since 1932! It is only the Boy Scouts proper that held out until 1988. Venturer and Explorers have been co-ed for quite a while, both students and leader. ( I was really disappointed to learn that BSA has done away with Exploring. I was part of the Explorer Post out at Marshall Space Flight Center, and it was fantastic!)

I think this is a great move, and I hope it happens. The BSA's policies on Gays and Atheists have kept me from being willing to get involved in the organization again. It was hugely formative for me, I was a Scout for 8 years and an Explorer for 2. Making Eagle was one of the highlights of my teen years, it felt like a real accomplishment. I would love to get involved in our local troop, but those two positions make it impossible for me to do so with a clear conscience. I hope they step up and make the change.

-NoCapo

Old 05-22-2015, 12:28 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
And in fact Cub Scouts have had Den Mothers since 1932! It is only the Boy Scouts proper that held out until 1988. Venturer and Explorers have been co-ed for quite a while, both students and leader. ( I was really disappointed to learn that BSA has done away with Exploring. I was part of the Explorer Post out at Marshall Space Flight Center, and it was fantastic!)

I think this is a great move, and I hope it happens. The BSA's policies on Gays and Atheists have kept me from being willing to get involved in the organization again. It was hugely formative for me, I was a Scout for 8 years and an Explorer for 2. Making Eagle was one of the highlights of my teen years, it felt like a real accomplishment. I would love to get involved in our local troop, but those two positions make it impossible for me to do so with a clear conscience. I hope they step up and make the change.

-NoCapo
Unfortunately we're going to have to diverge on the atheism part. Duty to God is a core pillar of Scouting. I'm OK with atheists being in the organization, but to have the "-ism" as part of scouting is a no go for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies