Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The progressive left's Margaret Sanger at her best:

"I will answer B. first because I consider that the world and almost our civilization for the next twenty-five years, is going to depend upon a simple, cheap, safe contraceptive to be used in poverty stricken slums, jungles, and among the most ignorant people. Even this will not be sufficient, because I believe that now, immediately, there should be national sterilization for certain dysgenic types of our population who are being encouraged to breed and would die out were the government not feeding them."

American Experience | The Pill | Primary Sources

_"Birth Control and Racial Betterment"_
http://www.nyu.edu/projects/sanger/w...Doc=143449.xml

Science wins again.
Ever notice that anyone who says "science wins again" is usually not scientifically literate.

First of all, historical context would be nice. I've seen your posts, and you seem to struggle with it. She made these remarks in 1919. What this means, quite specifically, was the eugenics was a popular idea because the Holocaust hadn't happened. Eugenics wasn't seen as a moral wrong until after Hitler's Nazi tyranny led to the attempted forced extinction of the Jews.

And, it was 1919. To hold the past to the exact same standards as today is simply unfair. Benjamin Franklin was a brilliant man and an active abolitionist post-Revoluiton, but he also owned slaves, even some after he became an abolitionist. Does that suddenly mean Benjamin Franklin was evil, or in your world view, a leftist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM

231 posts, read 171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. Tho to be fair; more and more "Muslim" countries have fast dropping birthrates. Iran's is less than 2 kids per woman in 2015.
The big story is pretty obvious -

Birth rate - Country Comparison

Old 05-22-2015, 05:33 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Good point......not much outrage from Edison killing elephants to discover electricity.
If people were still actively killing elephants pretending it was good for them, this would be a good comparison.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
The big story is pretty obvious -

Birth rate - Country Comparison
Total fertility rate (TFR) compares figures for the average number of children that would be born per woman if all women lived to the end of their childbearing years and bore children according to a given fertility rate at each age. TFR is a more direct measure of the level of fertility than the crude birth rate, since it refers to births per woman.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...27rank.html#af

Old 05-22-2015, 10:33 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Ever notice that anyone who says "science wins again" is usually not scientifically literate.

First of all, historical context would be nice. I've seen your posts, and you seem to struggle with it. She made these remarks in 1919. What this means, quite specifically, was the eugenics was a popular idea because the Holocaust hadn't happened. Eugenics wasn't seen as a moral wrong until after Hitler's Nazi tyranny led to the attempted forced extinction of the Jews.

And, it was 1919. To hold the past to the exact same standards as today is simply unfair. Benjamin Franklin was a brilliant man and an active abolitionist post-Revoluiton, but he also owned slaves, even some after he became an abolitionist. Does that suddenly mean Benjamin Franklin was evil, or in your world view, a leftist?
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+wins+again%22

Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
i.e., my original post is a total fail, so I'm gonna change the subject...

Yes, some scientists get things wrong. The great thing about science is that, when an idea proves wrong, it gets dropped.

And, BTW, there were scientists at the time who said - and demonstrated - that eugenics, like the similar social darwinism, was based on overly simplified ideas about heredity and natural selection. http://www.eugenicsarchive.org/eugen...fs.pl?theme=26

Last edited by jacqueg; 05-23-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 08:42 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Margaret Sanger devoted her life to legalizing birth control and making it universally available for women. Whatever her flaws and mistakes, her work, tenacity, activism and bravery changed lives for the better, and not just women's lives.

I challenge her critics to find any other person who had more impact on the betterment of women's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies