U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 AM
 
Location: land of quail, bunnies, and red tail hawks
1,513 posts, read 3,079,829 times
Reputation: 3525

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
The harder they thump that bible, the more hypocritical they are and the more skeletons they have to hide
Non-Christians often make the claim that Christians are projecting their own sins when they disagree with others. Does this mean the people on this thread who are so vocal against the Duggars and Josh's acts of molestation are announcing to the world that they have skeletons of the sexual nature hiding in their own closets? They must be since they are thumping the drum so hard.

Or does "projection" only apply to Christians, conservatives, and Republicans?

Last edited by Blueberry; 05-29-2015 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: finishing a thought

 
Old 05-29-2015, 08:49 AM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,619 posts, read 10,521,232 times
Reputation: 19744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
Non-Christians often make the claim that Christians are projecting their own sins when they disagree with others. Does this mean the people on this thread who are so vocal against the Duggars and Josh's acts of molestation are announcing to the world that they have skeletons of the sexual nature hiding in their own closets? They must be since they are thumping the drum so hard.
That would seem to follow the logic being expressed.
__________________
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
 
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 AM
 
Location: 500 miles from home
29,544 posts, read 16,392,692 times
Reputation: 22166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
Why do Republicans want to die on this hill? Gross.

It's only some reality TV family. Why defend this sexual predator so vehemently?
I agree. Time to move on. Bottom line, we should not be glorifying this family with a televison show anyway. The public has seen enough; the sponsors have pulled out; time to go; emotions aside.

As has been pointed out, this family has wealth of their own and really don't have to have cameras in their face 24/7 to make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Uh huh. That all sounds very reasonable.

Except, the Duggars have done no such good with their platform. Did they come out and say "look, here's some issues we've had within our own family, here's what we did to mitigate the harm, here's some resources for victims, perpetrators and parents struggling with this issue, let us help others by using our family as an example of how to get through it."

No. They used their political clout, spotlight and actual jobs to point out to the community at large how (in their opinion, not evidenced in fact) LBGT persons are a hazard to children everywhere and as such should be denied rights afforded others, while publicly disregarding the enormous mote in their own eye.

That is doing none of what you suggest here. In fact, it's the height of hypocrisy to "do as I say" without even admitting that you have done it too.

There is much good people can do by helping others navigate issues they themselves have had. The Duggars have done no such thing.
With their platform, the Duggars have not raised people up ; they have put them down and they are seeing the repercussions of that now. I say that as an observer; I was neither an avid fan or avid detractor of this show.

I simply think their time on television should be over. There is simply no way to spin this to put it in a positive light. That's why you see sponsors falling like flies. What brand wants their name associated with child molestation (whether you agree or not that is how the sponsors see it.)

I do not like the cultish aspect of this family and I think that is deliberately downplayed on TLC.

Much like I feel like the Karsdashians - I would be simply fine with not seeing them on my television and I don't think that they have any positive message to add.

Of course, neither do any of the 'Housewives" but that's anothet channel and another tread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
Rules for Radicals by Alinsky? I don't think I've ever seen a book quoted by so many people who have likely NEVER read it, as I have in the past 7 years. I mentioned this a few years ago on another forum and at the time, someone did a search on Google and it showed that 97% of all mentions of the title came after President Obama was elected. Did all Conservatives read this or are you just quoting talking points? There is no book that is followed by Democrats or Liberals as so many refer to them.

I have to take issue with the fact that you claim because you never had any problems after being molested that you don't necessarily think the Duggar girls have, either. I was raped at the age of 16 and effectively shut it out for almost 20 years. When it came out again, it was traumatic and I had to deal with the fact that I never properly addressed it at the time it happened. That is what bothers me about the Duggar girls. There is no mention of any counseling for them, either. Considering Josh was NOT counseled and the Duggars lied about it, I doubt they allowed it for their daughters. The Quiverfull movement's literature on molestation have a tendency to blame the victim or to try to claim it's better to have been molested because it allowed them to move closer to God. I think that's horrendous, no matter what religion it's associated with.

I also read that the police officer they originally took Josh to who "gave him a stern talking to" has come forward in an interview and said he's disturbed to have learned that they lied to him. Hutchins (?) said that JB told him that the incident only happened once and to one girl, not several girls and several times. Considering that Hutchens and JB have both been proven to lie, I don't know who's telling the truth. However, this guy Hutchens is behind bars, wasn't compensated for the interview and doesn't benefit in any way by lying now. He won't receive a reduction in sentencing time, etc.

No matter what has happened, the Duggars are not someone I'd hold up as an example as a family to emulate. Not because of religion, although their religion has led to quite a twisted way of behavior and thought IMO, but because they don't appear to have learned from the past. You can't hide the truth. It always comes out and by hiding it, you make others question why you did so and what else are you covering up?!
I agree. In what direction could TLC take this show at this point? Just pretend none of it came out whilst the Duggars go on about accusing others of potential child molestation? Show their (hopefully) counseling sessions and how the girls heal? Have a big televised family meeting?

There simply is no way to take it and spin it in a positive manner. It's really not the end of the world; it's just another reality show whose time is up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Like many other things in life, TLC is purely profit-driven. They are about as principled in their approach to programming as the company behind the Jerry Spring show. Honestly, I have more respect for the producers of the Springer show because at least they're not trying to truss up their product as something as lofty as "the learning channel".
Absolutely. They care only about $$$$$$$$ and not what is right or wrong; their decison will not be emotion-based at ALL; it will be purely profit-based. Of course the new meme for what TLC stands for is probably keeping them awake at night.
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Fairfield of the Ohio
708 posts, read 511,245 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKR27540 View Post
The documents you refer to indicate that the victims all lived within the home except for one. That means that at the time, it was Josh's sisters and an unknown family acquaintance. The ages that, although they may be speculation, are the ages of the five oldest girls in the family at that time. It's an easy process of elimination.
Really? Go ahead, eliminate one of the five girls. With evidence please.
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Fairfield of the Ohio
708 posts, read 511,245 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post


Frankly, I can't imagine most parents would haul their 13-14 year old kid into the Police station to be charged, under similar circumstances, regardless of religious beliefs and/or politics.
^^^^THIS^^^^ He!! no they wouldn't.
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Barrington
45,456 posts, read 33,761,089 times
Reputation: 15114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree. Time to move on. Bottom line, we should not be glorifying this family with a televison show anyway. The public has seen enough; the sponsors have pulled out; time to go; emotions aside.

As has been pointed out, this family has wealth of their own and really don't have to have cameras in their face 24/7 to make money.



With their platform, the Duggars have not raised people up ; they have put them down and they are seeing the repercussions of that now. I say that as an observer; I was neither an avid fan or avid detractor of this show.

I simply think their time on television should be over. There is simply no way to spin this to put it in a positive light. That's why you see sponsors falling like flies. What brand wants their name associated with child molestation (whether you agree or not that is how the sponsors see it.)

I do not like the cultish aspect of this family and I think that is deliberately downplayed on TLC.

Much like I feel like the Karsdashians - I would be simply fine with not seeing them on my television and I don't think that they have any positive message to add.

Of course, neither do any of the 'Housewives" but that's anothet channel and another tread.



I agree. In what direction could TLC take this show at this point? Just pretend none of it came out whilst the Duggars go on about accusing others of potential child molestation? Show their (hopefully) counseling sessions and how the girls heal? Have a big televised family meeting?

There simply is no way to take it and spin it in a positive manner. It's really not the end of the world; it's just another reality show whose time is up.




Absolutely. They care only about $$$$$$$$ and not what is right or wrong; their decison will not be emotion-based at ALL; it will be purely profit-based. Of course the new meme for what TLC stands for is probably keeping them awake at night.
It's business. Without sponsors, there is no show, any show.
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Fairfield of the Ohio
708 posts, read 511,245 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
The harder they thump that bible, the more hypocritical they are and the more skeletons they have to hide
Really? All of the "bible thumpers" that I know are harder on themselves than they are on others. While I can't be sure, they all seem to be very straight forward, what you see is what you get and I would be shocked if there were any skeletons in their closets.
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:12 AM
 
10,171 posts, read 7,014,226 times
Reputation: 23917
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He's hardly the "star" of the show. The boys seem peripheral at best. Even when TLC is filming his family, they seem to focus more on Anna and the kids.
not that it is super important,but I have to disagree. I have seen a lot of episodes (my daughter loved the show) and Josh was by far the most featured male child. He seemed to be his parents favorite. I think in general the show does focus on the females because their target audience isnt males, but I have seen lots of Josh and would consider him a star of the show
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM
 
10,171 posts, read 7,014,226 times
Reputation: 23917
Why do people keep changing his age to 13-14 when she was 14-15?
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:16 AM
 
10,171 posts, read 7,014,226 times
Reputation: 23917
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post


Frankly, I can't imagine most parents would haul their 13-14 year old kid into the Police station to be charged, under similar circumstances, regardless of religious beliefs and/or politics.
No but to get proper mental health care then the government would get involved with CPS, police or both because all trained mental health providers are mandatory reporters. So are doctors and nurses, priests, ministers, etc. If you were to go to any real professional to get help for any child, they would need to report the molestation.

Why can't people wrap their brains around that I just don't know...its been explained like 100 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top