U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 10:43 AM

672 posts, read 617,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Happy? No. I'd much rather live in a world where the Duggars hadn't ever been propelled to fame and there an organization like the FRC didn't hire one of them as a spokesperson.

But when people use their fame to point fingers at others and yell "Immoral!", they'd damn well better take care of the beams in their own eyes first. When a family hushes down the molestation in their midst, they have no moral high ground to claim.
Right, this is the point. I've always considered them part of the TLC televised "Freak Show", and I've always been uncomfortable with the normalization of the repression of women portrayed in some of these shows, the idea that women are just there to be breeders, and that the female children are expected to be surrogate parents for their younger siblings, to cook, clean, and that everyone is home schooled.

Then, to have them be part of these organizations which are as controversial as the FRC, TLC should have backed away. I understand that the Quiverful cult wants to live life on their terms, and I get that their ideas and mine are different. I just wish that people didn't look at this sort of cultish behavior as something which should be admired.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,124,556 times
I don't care who you are, the rules are simple, you hurt a child, you deserve to die.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM

40,115 posts, read 24,365,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I've made mistakes too. When I was about 14, I shoplifted a box of Junior Mints. I knew it was wrong, but I wanted the thrill.

My mistakes do not include molesting my younger siblings, or anyone. They certainly do not involve a pattern of attacking very young girls (as young as 4) in their sleep to grab their breasts and stick my fingers up their vagina. If that's a "mistake" to you, then G-d help you. That's a sociopathic behavior.

And no matter his sexual frustration, molesting a 4 year old is pedophilia. Even the most sexually frustrated 14 year old in the world isn't going to look at someone who is under 10 sexually unless there are much deeper issues.
I think touching a breast and grabbing a breast are two different things.

I think touching a girl's genitals and sticking fingers into the vagina are two different things.

There is no excuse for what Josh did, he molested his sisters. We don't know that he molested a 4-year old. A lot of the information in the police report is redacted. Josh was a child himself at the time. And truly, the welfare of his sisters is much more important.

I do agree with Dane that this family's willingness to cover up Josh's actions, while also attacking homosexuality and actually trying to associate homosexuality with pedophilia is egregious.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:49 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,434,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

I think touching a girl's genitals and sticking fingers into the vagina are two different things.

There is no excuse for what Josh did, he molested his sisters. We don't know that he molested a 4-year old. A lot of the information in the police report is redacted. Josh was a child himself at the time. And truly, the welfare of his sisters is much more important.

I do agree with Dane that this family's willingness to cover up Josh's actions, while also attacking homosexuality and actually trying to associate homosexuality with pedophilia is egregious.
I don't think of a 14 year old as a child. That's a teenager. At that point, you're over the whole "play doctor" routine. He knew what he was doing, he didn't stop it, nor did his parents. He did this to his sisters. That's about as disgusting as it gets.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:50 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,837,192 times
I have a feeling the Duggars are finished as TV personalities. Every time the parents or Josh open their mouths to tell someone else how to behave the response will be, "except for diddling your sisters. That's perfectly fine."

Hope they've been saving their money.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 AM

30,066 posts, read 16,619,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Agree. Also with what Ringo said, I havent seen them "point the finger" in the manner your speaking of to anyone. Nobody, no family is perfect and they certainly never stated to be perfect, actually many times they mentioned past mistakes that jim bob and michelle made while dating. Im not sure why your stating untrue facts..
Really. We have been lectured by Josh numerous times on family values. OR - see the post from Apexgds for some 'specific' examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
My question is can a boy of 14 years old be curious (for lack of better word) and do this, or at that age would he be like a 20 year old or 50 year old who is just plain sick and will surely repeat the actions?
I think a boy of 14 can be curious. But - five times with different girls? At least one of them around the age of 5? This is not simple curiousity IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Well, how about some specific examples of hypocritical Josh?

(CCHO is the Christian Children's Home of Ohio; he was a keynote speaker for one of their events)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I've never watched the show and could really care less as to how many kids they have or whatever, but I have noticed that there seem to be a lot of people in jubilation this has occurred.

I think it's kind of despicable so many of you seem so happy this happened. Obviously, it's not even in the same universe in terms of the horrendous acts carried out by this pervert who molested his sisters, but I still find it pretty bad that so many seem to rejoice that it happened.
Many of us have been concerned about the girls in this family for years. For people to shrug it off in favor of the molester - makes light of their plight, IMO. Basically used as slave labor to care for all the kids because obviously it cannot be done by the mother.

Also, it's never good to be the person who holds themselves out as a paragon of 'family values' THEN to have it come out that you were diddling little girls while your family kept it a big secret. The entire family has lectured America many, many times on the evilness of the LBGT community while they kept their own evil secret.

It is my wish that every one of these girls gets the counseling they deserve and probably never got; and that this show is taken off the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Happy? No. I'd much rather live in a world where the Duggars hadn't ever been propelled to fame and there an organization like the FRC didn't hire one of them as a spokesperson.

But when people use their fame to point fingers at others and yell "Immoral!", they'd damn well better take care of the beams in their own eyes first. When a family hushes down the molestation in their midst, they have no moral high ground to claim.
THIS.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 AM

625 posts, read 471,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I've made mistakes too. When I was about 14, I shoplifted a box of Junior Mints. I knew it was wrong, but I wanted the thrill.

My mistakes do not include molesting my younger siblings, or anyone. They certainly do not involve a pattern of attacking very young girls (as young as 4) in their sleep to grab their breasts and stick my fingers up their vagina. If that's a "mistake" to you, then G-d help you. That's a sociopathic behavior.

And no matter his sexual frustration, molesting a 4 year old is pedophilia. Even the most sexually frustrated 14 year old in the world isn't going to look at someone who is under 10 sexually unless there are much deeper issues.
Wow, this is a huge trigger for so many people. Nothing like taking a word like "mistake" and spinning it into your own version of "kill the pedophile" hysteria.

Here's the reality. Young people have sexual curiosity. Sometimes they touch another person (sibling or whomever) inappropriately out of curiosity. Does this make them a pedophile? Does this make them a sociopath? According to you folks, it does. Let all the other criminals go free! Start building more Super Max prisons because they will be brimming over with all the kids who've touched another kid.

Apparently, some of you would send a 14-year-old away for life the same way you would a grown man who is a serial offender without any knowledge of the facts of the case. No one but the family, the boy (Josh) and the young people (the female) know EXACTLY what happened.

I am not condoning or condemning either way. Just saying we don't have all the facts. This is inappropriate behavior, yes, but does not rise to the level of sociopathic or on the same level with an adult career pedophile that rapes & molests, or rapes, molests and kills.

Now, go enjoy your hysteria and let the "hang 'em high" and sociopathy chat continue. Sheesh! No wonder the Duggars tried to keep this quiet.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:56 AM

40,115 posts, read 24,365,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I was really responding the post saying he's not a child molester because he grew up in a sexually repressed home and turned to his sisters because they were available. I think that is pretty much a textbook definition of a child molester. They have sexual urges for which they don't have a healthy outlet so they prey on available victims.

I understand what you're saying and agree that he was young when it happened and may have been acting on desires that he did not otherwise know how to address. But, if the allegations are true that he did it repeatedly to multiple sisters over a span of time, I believe that behavior crosses the line from curiosity to molestation. Also, in a house where masturbation may have been treated as a sin, surely fondling a member of the opposite sex would also be considered a sin. Don't their parents make a big deal out of not touching a member of the opposite sex until you're married?

I think the key issue is whether it happened again after he was sent away. If it did, it will only come to light if the sisters speak up. Seeing as how their family fortune rests on their being quiet, it would take a brave young person to come forward.
I don't think he crossed the line. I think his initial behavior was molestation. His sisters were asleep. He touched them inappropriately when they were asleep and had no way to stop him. That, to me, is pure molestation.

It's the fact that the parents make such a big deal out of not touching a member of the opposite sex that I think would create an obsessive interest in a child going through puberty. An obsessive curiosity. And possibly something more, that required professional assessment and treatment.

I think the family's public image is hopelessly damaged at this point. It's my hope that regardless of what happens to Josh (because legally there are no consequences for him at this point in time), that the girls receive counseling, to make sure they understand that they were not at fault for any of this, and that they have rights. They get to decide who touches them, and how they will be touched. It's not a man's decision. It's theirs.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:57 AM

12,031 posts, read 16,773,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post

Did you read the police report? It goes into more detail about how much more serious than "touching" this was. And it is particularly concerning to me that they were asleep.

I suspect the 4/5 year old was involved because one of the victims has requested that the records be redacted and a judge agreed. I am no lawyer but from speaking to friends who are, it seems like that would most likely be granted if the victim is still a minor. That just leaves the youngest sister.

At the very least, he molested an 8 year old. Still firmly prepubescent. Still pedophilia.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:58 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,292,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
This is one of the best comments!

It is disturbing that so many are rejoicing in the pain of this family.
They help cause pain for gay Americans... I suppose I should pity their ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or