U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 AM

698 posts, read 459,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Did you read the police report? It goes into more detail about how much more serious than "touching" this was. And it is particularly concerning to me that they were asleep.

I suspect the 4/5 year old was involved because one of the victims has requested that the records be redacted and a judge agreed. I am no lawyer but from speaking to friends who are, it seems like that would most likely be granted if the victim is still a minor. That just leaves the youngest sister.

At the very least, he molested an 8 year old. Still firmly prepubescent. Still pedophilia.
The police report referenced one incident that happened while Josh had one of the girls seated on his lap and was reading a book to them. You usually quit reading books to kids when they are able to read themselves. That episode almost certainly involved one of the youngest children in the household. I know the family is a little weird, but there is no way that an 8-12 year old girl was sitting on their brother's lap while he read them a bedtime story.

Last edited by newtoks; 05-22-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 AM

40,103 posts, read 24,345,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Josh was at least 14 at the time and it was multiple episodes over a lengthy period of time, so he was 14-16 years old and molesting girls that could have been as young as 4 years old.

Plenty of 14 year olds have been charged as adults after committing crimes. To act like a 14 year old is just an innocent child that was so curious about his sister's bodies that he had to keep checking them out over and over again is ridiculous.
I'm not saying that Josh was an innocent child. I'm saying that Josh was an immature 14-year-old child who molested his sisters, and whose parents should have contacted the police and allowed people with knowledge and experience to deal with this situation properly. As it is, his sisters were molested and then had to live with that molester for years, and evidently never received any professional counseling to assess how the molestation affected them and to give them the tools to deal with what happened.

While Josh is legally clear of this situation, it should be clear to any that there are social repercussions, and personal repercussions he's going to suffer. And while I am disgusted by his behavior, I think that his age and upbringing have to be considered when we villify him for what he did.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:15 AM

12,160 posts, read 10,344,414 times
Having been a 14 year old boy once, I can assure you that sexual gratification was most assuredly on his mind.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM

40,103 posts, read 24,345,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, this was very far outside the norm of 14 year old sexual behavior. Boys will experiment with other boys, even willing girls of the same age. But little girls... Isn't this how adult pedophiles begin??
He wasn't in an environment where he could experiment with other boys or willing girls of the same age.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM

12,005 posts, read 16,758,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Wow, this is a huge trigger for so many people. Nothing like taking a word like "mistake" and spinning it into your own version of "kill the pedophile" hysteria.

Here's the reality. Young people have sexual curiosity. Sometimes they touch another person (sibling or whomever) inappropriately out of curiosity. Does this make them a pedophile? Does this make them a sociopath? According to you folks, it does. Let all the other criminals go free! Start building more Super Max prisons because they will be brimming over with all the kids who've touched another kid.

Apparently, some of you would send a 14-year-old away for life the same way you would a grown man who is a serial offender without any knowledge of the facts of the case. No one but the family, the boy (Josh) and the young people (the female) know EXACTLY what happened.

I am not condoning or condemning either way. Just saying we don't have all the facts. This is inappropriate behavior, yes, but does not rise to the level of sociopathic or on the same level with an adult career pedophile that rapes & molests, or rapes, molests and kills.

Now, go enjoy your hysteria and let the "hang 'em high" and sociopathy chat continue. Sheesh! No wonder the Duggars tried to keep this quiet.
Most adults are "triggered" by parents allowing a serial pattern of abuse to continue. Not only were 4 of their own daughters molested, but a 5th child who was entrusted into the care of this family was also attacked. And that's only those that we know of.

If you are implying that I am so upset because I was molested as a child, you're sorely mistaken. I was raped by a teenager my own age - and not that much older than Josh was so I suppose you could say I'm a little peeved by those implying that he was a child who had no idea what he was doing. Of course he knew. He was 14 years old, not 7 or 8. But no, being angry about parents allowing incest to continue and then covering it up is a normal reaction for most people. I would feel the same way if it was a passing article in the newspaper about someone who wasn't famous. What makes this unique is the Duggars have chosen the public eye while knowing that their son molested their daughters - and then Josh went on to make a career calling others dangerous to children. People gave money to his organization based on his words. You should be angry, too.

Josh needed help, but more importantly, the girls needed help. Maybe they received therapy but given that Josh's only therapy for molesting 5 girls under the age of 12 was to spend the summer doing manual labor, my hopes aren't too high. He should not have been allowed any further access to the girls when they slept, which means he should have been sent to his grandparents' house or to another safe location without children. Even if he never touched a child again, those girls shouldn't have had to spend another SECOND wondering what if when the doorknob to their bedroom turned at night.

I think this pattern shows a serious issue with Josh, but in many ways he's a victim here too. The way in which he was taught about sexuality and gender is one based in shame and lack of communication. But the worst part of all of this - which I think what most of us are trying to get across - is that the parents did not take responsibility to take care of their children - all of their children. Instead they hid it and went on with launching a TV show that would bring their family very much into the limelight when there were serious cracks in the foundation.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 AM

698 posts, read 459,030 times
Quote:
Yeah, this was very far outside the norm of 14 year old sexual behavior. Boys will experiment with other boys, even willing girls of the same age. But little girls... Isn't this how adult pedophiles begin??
As Hannibal Lector explained, they begin by coveting what they see. Molesting 5 young girls, including 4 of your sisters is not normal behavior and it is not something that you just quit doing after a few prayer sessions.

Would any of the people defending Josh or claiming that this could have just been the curious nature of youth be willing to let him babysit your kids for a weekend?

Old 05-22-2015, 11:19 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,461,269 times
Hope they take the show off the air. Famous for breeding like a rabbit? Go figure. Christians to boot? Wow!

Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 4 days ago)

8,130 posts, read 5,814,271 times
Quote:
No different??? You really think that? Sibling molestation isn't just something every family goes through Out come the apologists The Duggars are hypocrites... working for an anit-gay hate group and accusing gay people of being sexual perverts when the real perverts are under their own roof.
I guess my post was confusing to some but I wasn't saying that every family goes through this tragedy. Most families if not all have issues like hypocrisy of some sort (other than the Duggar's problem). Families aren't perfect is what I was trying to say. And no, I am not an apologist for this family.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM

45,003 posts, read 17,902,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
There are so many twists to this story.. will TLC try to make it through the season by exploiting the drama and behavior....
It's fascinating how these channels love "scripted" reality, but head for the hills when real reality manages to take headlines. Oh well, that should be fascinating.

Meanwhile, from the taking advantage of tragedy dept we have this.....

Mama June threatens to sue TLC for not axing Duggar show following child molestation scandal, after Honey Boo Boo was canceled. | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-22-2015, 11:29 AM

32,423 posts, read 16,612,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's fascinating how these channels love "scripted" reality, but head for the hills when real reality manages to take headlines. Oh well, that should be fascinating.

Meanwhile, from the taking advantage of tragedy dept we have this.....

Mama June threatens to sue TLC for not axing Duggar show following child molestation scandal, after Honey Boo Boo was canceled. | Daily Mail Online
Dear Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or