Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 02:11 PM

4,134 posts, read 2,836,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
I think the parents should be charged with a crime. They knew about it and let it continue to happen under their roof. Accessories to a crime are prosecuted all the time. Why not now?
Statute of Limitations.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Of course it should be off limits, and it disgusts me that this is now public knowledge. The problem is the parents chose to live in the spotlight and put their entire family on display, and the unfortunate byproduct of reality TV fame is the inherent lack of privacy. They chose money and notoriety over their children's right to privacy, and now the children are paying the price in an incredibly humiliating way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
So if a child accuses their parent of sexual abuse, the police don't do a proper investigation, and the parents don't cooperate, the discussion the child has as part of that investigation should be open to the public? I mean, after all the parents didn't cooperate or report the incident.

If some neighbor minor child accuses your minor child of sexual abuse three years earlier, you obtain a lawyer for your child who advises you not to cooperate or allow your child to cooperate, the police don't do a proper investigation in part because the statue of limitations has passed, ten years later should that report be able to be made public?

The fact that it involved juveniles should have made it off limits, even if the parents didn't do the right thing.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
So if a child accuses their parent of sexual abuse, the police don't do a proper investigation, and the parents don't cooperate, the discussion the child has as part of that investigation should be open to the public? I mean, after all the parents didn't cooperate or report the incident.

If some neighbor minor child accuses your minor child of sexual abuse three years earlier, you obtain a lawyer for your child who advises you not to cooperate or allow your child to cooperate, the police don't do a proper investigation in part because the statue of limitations has passed, ten years later should that report be able to be made public?

The fact that it involved juveniles should have made it off limits, even if the parents didn't do the right thing.
You raise an interesting point. The people who obtained the records did so pursuant to a FOIA request, or the Arkansas state equivalent. I don't know what the statute says about minors, but it may have been enough to satisfy the statute that the names were redacted. Because the Duggars are celebrities, however, it's easy to identify the girls.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:18 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Being in the spotlight is the parents doing for putting the family on tv. But, even with rules in place, lots of abused children are known by the public as having been abused. It's not their chase to hide anyways. Yes, personal and it should be private. But it isn't their shame to hold.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:19 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,752 times
Yes, agree being in the spotlight is reopening old wounds for the girls involved. Its causing more damage to everyone and nothing can be done about the past incidents.

How exactly did this get out publicly now? Was it first from in touch who dug up the old police reports?

Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
Yes, agree being in the spotlight is reopening old wounds for the girls involved.

How exactly did this get out publicly now? Was it first from in touch who dug up the old police reports?
They aren't old wounds if they haven't dealt with them. They are open festering wounds. This could be the best thing for them to shine a light on it. To bad there are so many ignorant people who are still making excuses for the abuser.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:24 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
They aren't old wounds if they haven't dealt with them. They are open festering wounds. This could be the best thing for them to shine a light on it. To bad there are so many ignorant people who are still making excuses for the abuser.
Maybe the victims don't want light shone on it.

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
So we have a pedophile that has no recourse taken against him. Curious how so many in CD always talk about killing peds, yet I'm not seeing such a tone towards this ped. Curious!

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
I agree. Especially considering they had to face their abuser day after day for so many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
They aren't old wounds if they haven't dealt with them. They are open festering wounds.This could be the best thing for them to shine a light on it. To bad there are so many ignorant people who are still making excuses for the abuser.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:39 PM

1,077 posts, read 871,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
So we have a pedophile that has no recourse taken against him. Curious how so many in CD always talk about killing peds, yet I'm not seeing such a tone towards this ped. Curious!

He's not a pedophile if it took place when he was 14.

A pedophile is a grown person who gets pleasure from younger girls/boys.

I see a tone of disgust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies