Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 08:16 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times

Advertisements

I also wanted to add that even though I was an adult, both me and my children were at risk of further abuse until my abuser was outed. It wasn't until then I was able to fully step up and protect myself and my children.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:16 PM

511 posts, read 508,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
No. I was trying to say that most families have skeletons in their closet and not necessarily molestation.
Really? Wow I know people aren't perfect but that is pretty bad

Old 05-23-2015, 08:19 PM

511 posts, read 508,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I also wanted to add that even though I was an adult, both me and my children were at risk of further abuse until my abuser was outed. It wasn't until then I was able to fully step up and protect myself and my children.
good for you

Old 05-23-2015, 08:20 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
It is t just famous people! I remember my neighbor going to prison for molesting "a 12 year old girl in his famil". All technically not identifying information. We all knew it was his daughter. Duh. Man was that hard for her! She didn't get much support, we peers didn't know how to. And her mom was mad at her for letting it out. I would like more people showing support for the girls the support or even disdain for the male abusers. I want them to feel a army of men and women behind them.
Agreed. Totally.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, you don't understand that correctly.

I don't believe discussing the actions of the molester and his protectors are re victimizing the girls. The girls have nothing to be ashamed of, they did no wrong, and the only ones suggesting they are are people who think girls/women being this kind of thing upon themselves, and those people are a special kind of arse.

People are decrying the actions of Josh Duggar and the parents, not the girls.

And, yes I believe you are entitled to keep the events of your sexual abuse private. Unfortunately, due to the fact that their parents allowed tv cameras and all that goes with that deal with the Devil into their lives, that wasn't to be. You'd have to be incredibly naive or stupid, or both, to think that this wouldn't come out one way or the other.

Apparently it's been lurking around for years. Hollywood is full of TMZ et al. They weren't country bumpkin unknowns, they were reality TV stars, in one if the most merciless and unforgiving industries on the planet. Fame is a double edged sword. I have issues with parents who allow cameras into their minor children's private lives. I think that's immoral in and of itself. You have no right to make that decision for your kid. So their rights, IMHO, have been violated since the get go. So again, it comes back to Michelle and Jim Bob. That's it.

And spare me the self righteous indignation. You're here talking about it, and them, just like everyone else.
I was assaulted in high school, I had nothing to ashamed of either but I didn't report it. Not because I wasn't allowed to but because I just wanted it put behind me. And for YEARS my greatest fear was people finding out what happened. Truth is, I really don't want people who actually know me to find out to this day, almost half a century later. I don't want to discuss it with them and, regardless of what anyone says, I would still be embarrassed if I thought people knew. The only reason I can disclose here is because I am anonymous. If you published my story, with my name, you'd be re-victimizing me and I would be revisited by the trama. Identification of victims, especially victims who were minors at the time of the event, should strictly be the victim's choice. And no, you or society trashing the SOB who did that to me would not provide comfort. I'm just glad the world didn't think I needed to pay for the actions of my parents on top of everything else.

And, just to remind you, this discussion started because you questioned why I though InTouch should be made to removed the report from their website. Yeah, I am indignant when people appear to not care how this impacts the girls.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 05-23-2015 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 08:39 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
It is t just famous people! I remember my neighbor going to prison for molesting "a 12 year old girl in his famil". All technically not identifying information. We all knew it was his daughter. Duh. Man was that hard for her! She didn't get much support, we peers didn't know how to. And her mom was mad at her for letting it out. I would like more people showing support for the girls then support or even disdain for the male abusers. I want them to feel a army of men and women behind them.
Running down their family is not going to make them feel better. Josh and the parents are still a very active, very involved part of the girls' family. Strangers rehashing old news (to them) is just stirring bad memories from the past.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:46 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Running down their family is not going to make them feel better. Josh and the parents are still a very active, very involved part of the girls' family. Strangers rehashing old news (to them) is just stirring bad memories from the past.

These are people who had no trouble "running down" and passing judgments on others. They're pathetic and if they don't like what the public is saying now that the truth is out that's just too bad.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I was assaulted in high school, I had nothing to ashamed of either but I didn't report it. Not because I wasn't allowed to but because I just wanted it put behind me. And for YEARS my greatest fear was people finding out what happened. Truth is, I really don't want people who actually know me to find out to this day, almost half a century later. I don't want to discuss it with them and, regardless of what anyone says, I would still be embarrassed if I thought people knew. The only reason I can disclose here is because I am anonymous. If you published my story, with my name, you'd be re-victimizing me and I would be revisited by the trama. Identification of victims, especially victims who were minors at the time of the event, should strictly be the victim's choice. And no, you or society trashing the SOB who did that to me would not provide comfort. I'm just glad the world didn't think I needed to pay for the actions of my parents on top of everything else.
I agree it should be the victim's choice. I don't think the world thinks the girls need to pay for the actions of the parents.

Unfortunately, this is out. Whether it should be or not. There is no choice to argue about now. These things have a way of finding their way out of the darkness into the light. Especially under these circumstances.

You, and millions of others, carry the weight of something that happened to you for years because as a society people blame the victims. And I'm very sorry for that. I'm mentally trashing the sob that did that to you anyway, I don't have to know who either of you are to offer that support.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:

And, just to remind you, this discussion started because you questioned why I though InTouch should be made to removed the report from their website. Yeah, I am indignant when people appear to not care how this impacts the girls.
I just saw this edit. No, I didn't. You must have me confused with someone else.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Because the identities of the victims, who were minors at the time and one who is still a minor, are clear. The victims, you know the people actually impacted by the act. It is absolutely jaw dropping how many people are so busy getting their hate on that they don't care that those girls are being re-victimized.
Parents put them in the spotlight and keep them there. It's not just TLC, their books of "how to parent," their fees for speaking, taking the whole family on national morning tv shows so EVERY CHILD WAS SEEN, and all their exclusive rights shopped out to magazines and others for photos. The parents had these children and are responsible for their safety.

You can judge your motives for your posts but you can't for anyone else, as you don't know the true motives of others.

I, for one, having treated Sex offenders and victims, want laws changed in AR. At least now I have a better idea how come this enmeshed family didn't travel to some states..good old Josh and parents could have been arrested. I sincerely hope AR joins other states where Victims are valued as much as perpetrators!!

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies