Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Never mind that the information was released legally via the Freedom of Information Act. Arkansas State Sen. Bart Hester is now calling for the firing of Springdale Police Chief Kathy O’Kelley for releasing the report to In Touch Weekly, noted KFSM.

http://radio.foxnews.com/2015/05/25/...-report-fired/

Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
"They have a social group that works for them. It wouldn't be my choice, since I was raised differently.I don't know that the girls aren't any happier than other people who aren't a member of their group. The social norms and culture of main stream society have changed a lot in a relatively short period of time. My observation has been that there are a lot of lost and unhappy people out there that would like to tell everyone else how they should handle their problems. They visit this counselor and that counselor. If it works for them, great. I certainly wouldn't want those people telling me what to do. I think counseling at this point in time would be more likely to bring the girls down to their level of unhappiness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Counselors dont tell you what to do with your life.

I am sure in the bunch (9 of them) a few of them still have some of their own spirit in them. Of the older my money is on Jinger and Joy Anna. But you know, if they do...they lose their entire families, including their sisters and their "buddies". I can't imagine the trauma of that decision.
Ok. I was generic in my sentence there. I was referring to people who are not happy. I was not referring to a counselor. I don't believe counselors tell you what to do with your life.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You are looking at it from your point of view and your teachings. The girls have not been raised to trust outsiders. They believe in the teachings of the church. At this point, outsiders are trying to intrude into their private life at a point where they feel successful and have probably found their happiness.

If outside counseling were to happen, it should have happened when they were kids. It didn't. They were most likely instructed in the ways of their church. Like it or not, they are probably comfortable with that.

They have a social group that works for them. It wouldn't be my choice, since I was raised differently.I don't know that the girls aren't any happier than other people who aren't a member of their group. The social norms and culture of main stream society have changed a lot in a relatively short period of time. My observation has been that there are a lot of lost and unhappy people out there that would like to tell everyone else how they should handle their problems. They visit this counselor and that counselor. If it works for them, great. I certainly wouldn't want those people telling me what to do. I think counseling at this point in time would be more likely to bring the girls down to their level of unhappiness.
You have no idea if this 'social group' works for them. Do you think you know this family becuase you see a highly filtered version of their life on televison?

Women born into 'this group' don't really have the option of leaving becuase they know they will not be allowed to see their family. Education is not encouraged - marrying young and popping out babies is ~ making it even more difficult to leave if you have no way of earning a living and you are now a mother to a few children.

A qualified counselor can be an objective observer that helps you make sense of your life. Absolutely, I think every single one of these women could use it. Whether or not it helps them OR if they would be open to it, is up to them. (Really it's up to Jim Bob since he controls all aspect of their lives).

So I doubt that it will happen. I guess you can rest easy.

Quote:
Counselors dont tell you what to do with your life.

I am sure in the bunch (9 of them) a few of them still have some of their own spirit in them. Of the older my money is on Jinger and Joy Anna. But you know, if they do...they lose their entire families, including their sisters and their "buddies". I can't imagine the trauma of that decision.
Jinger seems like she could do it . . . but the whole never seeing your family again . . would be very hard. It's another good way to make sure your adult children toe the party line.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You have no idea if this 'social group' works for them. Do you think you know this family becuase you see a highly filtered version of their life on televison?

Women born into 'this group' don't really have the option of leaving becuase they know they will not be allowed to see their family. Education is not encouraged - marrying young and popping out babies is ~ making it even more difficult to leave if you have no way of earning a living and you are now a mother to a few children.

A qualified counselor can be an objective observer that helps you make sense of your life. Absolutely, I think every single one of these women could use it. Whether or not it helps them OR if they would be open to it, is up to them. (Really it's up to Jim Bob since he controls all aspect of their lives).

So I doubt that it will happen. I guess you can rest easy.

Jinger seems like she could do it . . . but the whole never seeing your family again . . would be very hard. It's another good way to make sure your adult children toe the party line.
Yeah jinger has a job skill (midwife of course). Something in Joy Anna's eyes always looks sad to me

Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You also have no idea if this social group doesn't work for them. Basically, you are willing to make one big science experiment out of their lives.

I don't watch that show that often, but it's splashed on all over magazine covers, the internet, tv and other tabloids. I don't profess to know them. Historically, when one western culture starts messing with or 'helping' another culture, the original culture has suffered for it.

This is sort of a tangent, but it's the example I can think of off the top of my head. Have you ever seen the "The Gods Must Be Crazy" movies. In the movies, the African tribe in seems to be happy in their culture and life. Then there is another sociology type movie made some time after the made for comedy movies. The interference and good intentions of the movie makers seems to have made a negative effect on the tribe. The tribe isn't as happy and they have adopted some of the trappings of western culture. I see these girls' lives in the same manner. There are some people who do have good intentions with the counseling or whatever. I believe that imposing the counseling on them will have a negative effect because it doesn't work with their lifestyle and the timing is several years too late.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:45 AM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
Quote:
Yeah jinger has a job skill (midwife of course). Something in Joy Anna's eyes always looks sad to me
yes but she isn't a registered nurse and that will keep her out of almost every hospital or clinic.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:49 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
yes but she isn't a registered nurse and that will keep her out of almost every hospital or clinic.
And continuing working in the Quiverfull movement

Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM

299 posts, read 635,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How can you possibly say such a thing when they did nothing to help the girls who were abused by their son?

"Counseling has no place their belief system." Do you not see how inherently harmful and backwards that statement is?

It sickens me that regarding this entire disgusting episode, the family's concerns were all about Josh. What about their daughters that were molested by their brother? Obviously, women don't count in the Duggar family unless there are children to be cared for, diapers to be changed, meals to be prepared and any other chore that JB feels is for women only. One of their sons is out of the house and living on his own despite not being married yet his daughters weren't allowed to attend college for nursing when asked. JB was too worried about what they might learn about reality, IMO. They would have found out that things aren't like their father has said where as anyone who doesn't believe as they do is unworthy. Who is going to take care of these girls and their many children after they get married if one of their husbands' should die unexpectedly? Accidents and illnesses can happen and to refuse to allow your daughters to gain the skills they might someday need to care for their families or bring in a paycheck along with their husband, is to fight reality.

This family is far too focused on how things look. I watched an episode where they were getting their daughter's home ready for her and her soon-to-be-husband to move into after they were married in a day or two. The entire family was running around the house, moving furniture, making beds, unpacking, etc. JB actually sent one of his young sons, about 8 or so, to "chaperone" the engaged couple because they were in what would be their master bedroom, putting together the bedframe and making the bed. Hearing this little kid announce that he was there to keep them pure made me ill. WTF are they filling their minds with? Either you trust that you've raised your children properly and you allow them to be alone in one room of the house with the door open with over 2 dozen people running around or you've got a sick f'ing mind. With JB, it's the latter, it's likely what he would do! It's also disgusting to see these young girls not have a life of their own. They were bred to babysit their younger siblings, it's really sad. JB & Michelle could never have handled 19 kids if the older siblings didn't raise the younger siblings. They were doing the parenting while their parents were getting "Parents of the Year" awards! The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Those girls who were molested didn't receive counseling from what I've read. Apparently, in JB's mind, they were probably partially to blame. All their talk of modest clothes and side hugs meant nothing in the long run. They are a sick, twisted family. It has nothing to do with them being Christian, either, before anyone should jump on me about what I've said. Any father who treats half of his children as second class citizens, not worthy of a proper education and put on earth to do nothing but have children and take care of everyone else should not be a father. Michelle is no better as she's allowed JB to treat their daughters with disrespect, ignoring their needs after being molested by their brother, concentrating only on Josh rather than the fact that 5 of her daughters were molested, including a 4 yr. old according to the reports. She also hypocritically made robocalls during the elections, claiming homosexuals were likely to be child molesters and was worried about transgendered individuals using the same washroom as her children. She should have paid more attention to what was going on at home over the years!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
This is sort of a tangent, but it's the example I can think of off the top of my head. Have you ever seen the "The Gods Must Be Crazy" movies. In the movies, the African tribe in seems to be happy in their culture and life. Then there is another sociology type movie made some time after the made for comedy movies. The interference and good intentions of the movie makers seems to have made a negative effect on the tribe. The tribe isn't as happy and they have adopted some of the trappings of western culture. I see these girls' lives in the same manner. There are some people who do have good intentions with the counseling or whatever. I believe that imposing the counseling on them will have a negative effect because it doesn't work with their lifestyle and the timing is several years too late.
The San people in the movie were never accused of sexually abusing their children! It's not as if people are suggesting Westernization of the Duggars for the sake of it, but because of atrocities committed against the girls, there is a huge difference.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
It gets worse. Jill chose the apprenticeship path to become a midwife, but the midwife who supervised her apprenticeship lost her license in Arkansas due to negligence. So, in all likelihood, all of the hours Jill Clocked in are null and void. She's no closer to being licensed than she was 3 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 05-26-2015 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies