U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM

10,171 posts, read 7,045,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Do you know for a fact that if the girls moved out and tried to make a life that they would be ostracized by the others? I know that's true in the FLDS church, but is it true for the Duggars/Quiverfull people as well? Not challenging your statement, just curious.
Well I guess I don't know for sure that the duggars would do it, but yes, it's a Quiverfull practice if you read about them. They become outsiders if they do not follow the heavy fundi lifestyle. Then again, they did allow some contact with a niece (Amy I think) who was religious but not to their degree. They kept her at arms length. But not totally shun her.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM

1,712 posts, read 879,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Well I guess I don't know for sure that the duggars would do it, but yes, it's a Quiverfull practice if you read about them. They become outsiders if they do not follow the heavy fundi lifestyle. Then again, they did allow some contact with a niece (Amy I think) who was religious but not to their degree. They kept her at arms length. But not totally shun her.

Speaking of "shunning", isn't that what the Amish do to their community members who marry outside the religion?

As an aside, it is very difficult for a female FLDS member to leave the sect but maturing teenage boys are regularly driven out to reduce the male population, leaving the maturing young women avaiable as new wives for the older men in the sect.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM

206 posts, read 174,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
What sickens me the most about all of this is that Anna supposedly knew about it.. As did her family! And she chose to marry him and have children with him! WTF. Not sure if I am buying that story. It has to be a PR move... But yeah.. He should NOT be around children. Sick to think he has a few of his own
That was one of my concerns in one of my earlier posts - that he has kids of his own, including a daughter, and are they being investigated?

Old 05-26-2015, 01:47 PM

23,976 posts, read 32,714,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
Speaking of "shunning", isn't that what the Amish do to their community members who marry outside the religion?
Some of them do. Not all. Plus, "shunning" doesn't always mean "no contact."

AMISH SHUNNING

Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM

44,474 posts, read 17,754,807 times
PIERS MORGAN A sex-abuse cover-up isn't the most disgusting thing about the Duggars, it's their repulsive, pious hypocrisy* | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-26-2015, 02:07 PM

29,822 posts, read 16,506,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspistol View Post
Another thing I find interesting here is that everyone assumes that it is Jim Bob that is hyper-vigilant about clothing, touching, etc but a lot of the comments and intensity seem to come from Michelle. What's to say that she isn't the more fanatic of the two? I'm not so convinced that she's been brain-washed by JB.
In the quiverfull cult - it is the man who makes ALL decisions and controls every aspect of family life. I'm not saying Michelle is not cray but according to her sect - she MUST defer to her husband in everything.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:10 PM

12,982 posts, read 12,228,470 times
I had forgotten that Jim Bob had a senate run in 2002, and in his campaign stated that incest and rape should be punishable by death.....and it was during this senate run that Josh was first reported to Daddy by one of the sisters.

Duggar patriarch Jim Bob called for rape and incest to be punishable by DEATH during failed 2002 Senate campaign... two month after his son first abused a minor | Daily Mail Online

Old 05-26-2015, 02:13 PM

698 posts, read 457,564 times
I agree 100% with that article. The fact that a Republican candidate for President is actively defending a sex offender is crazy. I knew that some people take the red team/blue team stuff way too seriously, but I never thought that someone would feel compelled to defend a sexual predator that abused children.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:23 PM

23,976 posts, read 32,714,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
I agree 100% with that article. The fact that a Republican candidate for President is actively defending a sex offender is crazy. I knew that some people take the red team/blue team stuff way too seriously, but I never thought that someone would feel compelled to defend a sexual predator that abused children.
Piers Morgan is an arrogant blowhard, but he's right about this.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:34 PM

988 posts, read 838,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
What sickens me the most about all of this is that Anna supposedly knew about it.. As did her family! And she chose to marry him and have children with him! WTF. Not sure if I am buying that story. It has to be a PR move... But yeah.. He should NOT be around children. Sick to think he has a few of his own
I don't watch the show and know next to nothing about this family, but based on the little that I've read about quiverfull, did the daughter (Anna) actually have a say in whether she married him or was it arranged? Didn't her father decide that this guy was a suitable husband for her and that was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or