Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 06:30 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
He was 15 when this happened. He is also white. If this was a black 15 year old who had assaulted somebody, there would be people on this forum making excuses, saying he was "an angel going through a rough period" and blaming "institutional racism", but because Duggar is a white male he is made out to the devil himself.
If people are making excuses for him, they are as dumb as those that use the excuse of "institutional racism" or "slavery" as an excuse for criminal behavior.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:33 PM

934 posts, read 595,210 times
Quote:
He was 15 when this happened. He is also white. If this was a black 15 year old who had assaulted somebody, there would be people on this forum making excuses, saying he was "an angel going through a rough period" and blaming "institutional racism", but because Duggar is a white male he is made out to the devil himself.
Defending a molester rapist, typical. Its the medias fault he swxually assaulted his sisters. Its the democrats fault

Sick

Old 05-24-2015, 06:33 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,543,034 times
Quote:
Anyone who molests is the devil themselves. Quit defending the bastard.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:22 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Defending a molester rapist, typical. Its the medias fault he swxually assaulted his sisters. Its the democrats fault

Sick
I am not defending anyone, I am making a point of fact. Do you disagree that a black assailant would be treated with "kid gloves"? If so, then explain.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Quit defending the bastard.
LOL, do you guys read from the same script? Please quote where I defended anyone in this thread. I will wait.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:35 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
Quote:
I guess the two posters who slandered me would have defended this guy if he were black since they didn't bother to deny that the double standard exists and made false statements about me.
In fairness, there's a difference between a molester and someone who acts out. The black kids you're referring to, they may not have been upstanding citizen but they didn't molest anyone. If you want to call it a double standard that defending some criminal activity over another, so be it. But people like Treyvon Martin or Mike Brown didn't molest someone.

Speaking as a liberal, it's complicated to describe issues of crime. Some of the black kids who get into a trouble, it's because that's what's around them. Duggar is a bit different. He was likely sexually repressed and probably never given proper sex education, as Christian fundamentalists aren't very good at thinking. He had some pretty terrible parents. And while molesting is a terrible thing to do, that fact that he was 14 does matter to me. I would forgive him of this, as I'd forgive anyone else who was just a kid. As far as I'm concerned, up to the early 20s, you got some wiggle room to make amends for your past. Granted, a 14 year old vs a 22 year old molesting a kid is quite a bit different, I'd still see it as monumentally worse when a 30+ guy does it.

Bottom line, he made a mistake. His parents didn't give him proper discipline. He's not blameless, but I don't think he's a bad person for this. He made a mistake as a teenager. Kids make mistakes. What's important is that we give young people who make mistakes a way to make amends for their past, be them white, black, liberal, or conservative.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
In fairness, there's a difference between a molester and someone who acts out. The black kids you're referring to, they may not have been upstanding citizen but they didn't molest anyone. If you want to call it a double standard that defending some criminal activity over another, so be it. But people like Treyvon Martin or Mike Brown didn't molest someone.

Speaking as a liberal, it's complicated to describe issues of crime. Some of the black kids who get into a trouble, it's because that's what's around them. Duggar is a bit different. He was likely sexually repressed and probably never given proper sex education, as Christian fundamentalists aren't very good at thinking. He had some pretty terrible parents. And while molesting is a terrible thing to do, that fact that he was 14 does matter to me. I would forgive him of this, as I'd forgive anyone else who was just a kid. As far as I'm concerned, up to the early 20s, you got some wiggle room to make amends for your past. Granted, a 14 year old vs a 22 year old molesting a kid is quite a bit different, I'd still see it as monumentally worse when a 30+ guy does it.

Bottom line, he made a mistake. His parents didn't give him proper discipline. He's not blameless, but I don't think he's a bad person for this. He made a mistake as a teenager. Kids make mistakes. What's important is that we give young people who make mistakes a way to make amends for their past, be them white, black, liberal, or conservative.
I agree. Children at that age are not fully developed and need the guidance of good parents. I am not angry at black kids who "act out" so much as I am dismayed that their parents let them down and tired of race or "racism" being made the issue instead of the actions and the failure to teach these kids right and wrong. Duggar made a mistake and is paying for it. He was also a child when it happened and you are correct that consideration should be given to that fact. We need to be addressing parenting and moral training instead of wasting our time with race nonsense. When the people who make things like the Michael Brown incident, for example, about race stop doing so then I will be the first to stop pointing out the double standard that exists if the same individual was white.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:00 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,112 times
Find me a case where a black teen got handled with kids gloves like this:

Ethan Couch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
I agree. Children at that age are not fully developed and need the guidance of good parents. I am not angry at black kids who "act out" so much as I am dismayed that their parents let them down and tired of race or "racism" being made the issue instead of the actions and the failure to teach these kids right and wrong. Duggar made a mistake and is paying for it. He was also a child when it happened and you are correct that consideration should be given to that fact. We need to be addressing parenting and moral training instead of wasting our time with race nonsense. When the people who make things like the Michael Brown incident, for example, about race stop doing so then I will be the first to stop pointing out the double standard that exists if the same individual was white.
And time and time again - many have posted that it is the parents that are to blame in this situation as well. For failing to take any action for one full year allowing their daughters to be molested again.

The parents - not the boy - who is just an unfortunate by product of this entire, insular, cult that teaches complete submission for women (to their brothers even if they are not married). It's surprising that more of this does not go on and perhaps it has.

The parents failed their children all the way around on this one including parading them on national television; knowing all the while this particular skeleton was in their closet AND that they had consulted other, non-professionals about it. It was bound to be discovered. So not only did they fail to protect their daughters from being victimized - they also failed to protect their privacy.

I feel for this young man and I hope that this never, ever happens again. I hope that he got or will get professional, private counseling by a qualified counselor - as well as all of the girls. Get them out of the spotlight and into treatment. I hope that he has learned that he is not the moral authority on family values. He is not. His family is not. Less demonizing of others and more taking care of their own problems is what is needed.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I care about them. I guess you stopped reading at the part you bolded, but I finished by saying how important it is to ensure that the victims of these types of crime, or any crime like it, be given the necessary help and support they need to help them feel safe and secure in their own lives.

Why is it cruel? Think about it. Who does it help? His victims won't get better by us ostracizing him, he's not less likely to reoffend is we ostracize him, and frankly, what kind of society wants to do that to people who have been shown to have certain weaknesses. Stability is key in cases like this. I find it hard to believe he would do something like this again, but being made into a pariah would make anyone more likely to do it again.

But that's our system, both societal and judicial. We value vengeance, not rehabilitation. That's of course why we have 2 million people in jail, 42,000 of them given life without parole, and of course 60% recidivism. But that's our culture. Deluded into thinking it's leading the world and believing ourselves to be a 'Christian country' yet not doing any of those things. In terms of our treatment of people, we look more like Iran than we do a western nation. We used to be the most forward thinking country on the planet. Then the Cold War happened and we became so consumed with leading the world against the USSR, that we started to think we were perfect as we are. And now look at us.

Our justice system is not just a failure.... it' a disgrace. We would rather ostracize a 14 year old sex offender than help him to get to a better place in his life. That says more about us than it does about him.

Well obviously he wasn't ostracized as a 14 year old, when it happened, since everyone covered it up. A 14 year old these days knows all about sex. It's not like he was some innocent little boy who just discovered that females had different body parts. And we aren't talking about one person, which he should have wakened up and said what am I doing. Instead he did this to multiple girls. The disgrace is sweeping this under the rug and having that family preach to us about moral values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.