U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:37 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,362,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Pretty simple really, corporate owned companies cannot do things which appear to impact the bottom line negatively. Costco has been a exception, and has gotten a TON of grief about it from wall street.
Starbucks is publicly traded. And they just raised starting wages in 2015 along with raises for the other workers.

Only the other workers aren't too happy how it turned out. Instead of reviews and raises every 6 months they only get it annually now. And the raises for already employed workers weren't as huge as the employees expected.

So while they are now ALL getting more money they are not happy. Previously raises were based on how an individual performed every 6 months. You can't have both..it's either collective or individual.

I read the same about the raises in Seatac. The employees lost a few of their individual benefits in favor of more money only the more money didn't always pan out to be in their best interests.

Experienced Starbucks Employees Say Recent Raises Help New Employees The Most | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:37 PM

78,238 posts, read 33,343,867 times
Quote:
Pretty simple really, corporate owned companies cannot do things which appear to impact the bottom line negatively. Costco has been a exception, and has gotten a TON of grief about it from wall street.
Costco stock is up.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Starbucks starting wages arent extreme.
Seems to me that Starbucks Barista's gets tips. I've never been to one so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:46 PM

26,306 posts, read 12,797,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Seems to me that Starbucks Barista's gets tips. I've never been to one so someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you are correct. Nature of the business.

Quote:
Costco stock is up.
Costco doesn't have direct competitors in most markets. They are a cross between a regular store, and amazon in a way. But yes they have shown regular growth. The argument from wall street is that the stock would do even better paying their employees less.

Dont know that I would agree with wall street, but maybe.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:49 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,362,914 times
Quote:

Costco doesn't have direct competitors in most markets. They are a cross between a regular store, and amazon in a way. But yes they have shown regular growth. The argument from wall street is that the stock would do even better paying their employees less.

Costco's direct competitor is Sam's Club.

Costco is #1 and Sam's Club is #2.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:

so.....the problem is wall street, not a lack of a law.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
so.....the problem is wall street, not a lack of a law.
ts a little of both. We can cherry pick, and argue all day, but really...the vast majority of businesses are not going to raise their minimum wage unless everyone does. It really is a prisoners dilemma.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 PM

I
Quote:
ts a little of both. We can cherry pick, and argue all day, but really...the vast majority of businesses are not going to raise their minimum wage unless everyone does. It really is a prisoners dilemma.
Not all can afford to and stay in business. Its a whole different world when you are McD's and your competition is Burger King across the street compared to you being a widget manufacturer and your competition is in China or India.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I

Not all can afford to and stay in business. Its a whole different world when you are McD's and your competition is Burger King across the street compared to you being a widget manufacturer and your competition is in China or India.
If your competition is in China or India....you're already gone generally.

The majority work for companies of 100 people or more.

Sooo....tell me, in the past when minimum wage has gone up, can you demonstrate job loss at the level you are concerned about?

And how does this relate to replacing people with robots?

Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 PM

820 posts, read 798,963 times
An honest robot who likes to work that is dependable. The beginnings of a fascist new world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies