U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:09 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,376,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
"The whole "OMG robots are taking over because of minimum wage nonsense is just that-nonsense."

Of course it is nonsense! It is extortion/blackmail pure and simple. Follow the increased dollars to its final destination which is the government laughing all the way to the bank in higher taxes.

I see in the future, McDonalds vending machines in high volume public places saying to its patron, "Would you like fries with that burger?"
It's not just McDonalds. Look around you at the increased number of self-checkouts in stores.
Your super Targets and super Walmarts have 80-90% of the registers closed with one or two manned ones at each end and 8-10 self checkouts being utilized.

You also have your "price check" computers stationed throughout stores.

Stockers and security are the stable jobs in these retail stores now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:24 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,250,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they would make fewer mistakes.
And you'll be able to understand them when you're driving through.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:45 AM

29,824 posts, read 16,522,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
You've seen at the Darden restaurants, they are replacing servers with order machines at the table. Think Olive Garden and Red Lobster ....
Those restaurants are both in serious trouble and I don't think 'order machines' are going to fix their problems. If anything, they most likely will speed up their demise but what do i know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyathome View Post
Plenty of bright students work at McDonalds. You don't have to be dumb to go out & get a job to work your way through college. What will happen is they will just have to go into greater debt or there will be fewer students.
Agree. At least in my town, these places are filled with students trying to stay in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Also...how many people does a mcdonalds employ?

Now how many after automation?

And how long til those new jobs ALSO get automated away?

And....what new jobs will open that will accommodate all these people?
Well. It is scary. Honestly, more and more of my job is outsourced to a vendor of some kind that I coordinate with.

I hope we are not looking at some dystopian, bleak future with the extremely wealthy vs those in rags.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:55 AM

4,370 posts, read 5,126,755 times
Wage increase activism is the government's clever attempt to try to shut down small business. Clearly big businesses will have the money for R & D and will be able to look into automation solutions. It's the small business that I'm worried about, because they don't have the money to invest into automation. At least not right now. I do think it may create a market to consultancy regarding small businesses trying to enter automation. I'm just trying to see if I can find a way to profit off of the automation gravy train.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:03 PM

9,863 posts, read 11,886,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not just McDonalds. Look around you at the increased number of self-checkouts in stores.
Your super Targets and super Walmarts have 80-90% of the registers closed with one or two manned ones at each end and 8-10 self checkouts being utilized.

You also have your "price check" computers stationed throughout stores.

Stockers and security are the stable jobs in these retail stores now.
Speaking of open registers, when they opened the new Walmart down the street, there were 10 registers at Grand Opening week, manned. Now 4 months later, it was 2 out of 20 registers manned. And it stays that way, most days of the week.... I think corporate will soon figure out it's cheaper for them to have self checkouts, than human beings doing the checkout, and interacting with customers...

That same store, employees were talking last week about their "new raises" ($9 dollars an hour wage) and I could not help but wonder the fall out from that (if any) later on...

Old 05-23-2015, 05:23 PM

32,324 posts, read 26,200,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
I'll eat someplace else. Burger King if nothing else but I hardly ever go to those places. There are lots of other places around, pubs and such where you can get good food. Speaking of pubs if you're ever in the fine city of Cambridge Massachusetts check out the Plough and Starts just outside of Central Square. Hancock street I think, very good food. Better than you would expect.

I try to not use the robots or that auto stuff. I've never used an ATM machine, always go in and go to a teller, and never use the auto checkout line
you turning luddite?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:28 PM

18,747 posts, read 7,281,503 times
Happy Texan, Stocking will be done largely by robots in the next few years at big boxes. They must compete with Amazon's army of robots to drive cost out of their stores.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:41 PM

5,039 posts, read 2,209,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Wouldn't bother me at all. At least the robot isn't going to spit in or otherwise adulterate the food, and it won't take selfies doing something stupid in the restaurant and post them on Facebook.

It is very unlikely that the robot will look like the one in the picture. There will likely be a collection of specialized industrial robots adapted from the manufacturing industry combined with sliding trays for collecting payment and delivering the food to the customer.

I look forward to the arrival of the robot overlords.

It will just leak oil into your food............

Old 05-24-2015, 12:12 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,673,105 times
This is probably like the best thing in the world for conservatives, seeing working class Americans lose their job and struggle even more financially... lol, never met such a hateful group of people.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:09 AM

23,860 posts, read 11,871,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This is probably like the best thing in the world for conservatives, seeing working class Americans lose their job and struggle even more financially... lol, never met such a hateful group of people.
So you are admitting liberal policies crush self improvement in looking to get a better paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies