U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 10:59 AM

14,379 posts, read 7,931,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick enough View Post
"i apologize if this", as you should.

Who do you think you are to tell others how to show appreciation for those that served.

Suck it up, say "thank you" back and move on!
exactly right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
^^^That's what bothers me the most. Everything like TY for your service is just lip service
if everything else we are suppose to provide for them is out of whack.

For this Memorial Day, donate to the Vietnam Vets of America or another worthwhile organization
that actually TRIES to help them. And, please hound your Congress into doing things
that not only make sense but are cost effective FOR the VETS!

Oh, and most importantly - Stop the Wars!
thank the 17th amendment for the sh|t politicians we have now
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Clearly the civilians have no clue what it was like to serve in the military, but when most of us thank you guys for your service, it comes from a good place in our hearts and they know the sacrifice that took place in general term.

According to the op we, even I who have lost family to war, are disingenuous in our appreciation. Like I said, the op deserves no thanks because his spirit requires no thanks. I'd say the majority of servicemen appreciate it. I'll thank a soldier whenever I get the chance, and I hope they'll take it for what it's worth... which is a lot, and genuine!

Last edited by steven_h; 05-23-2015 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,130,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Here we go again with the Vietnam Vets nonsense.

Vietnam Vets were treated just fine. This whole overboard praise of the military is totally misplaced if it's based on post Vietnam.

That's what I was talking about earlier. The need for some sort of weird redemption based on what so-called happened after Vietnam.
I feel the same way about slavery!

Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,230,650 times
Here is something for all of you who despise the veterans and all who serve. Whether you agree or not, these people made a commitment and swore an oath to do as legally directed.

Apparently unlike some of you, those oaths meant something to these people. Not only when they felt like it but all of the time, good or bad. A few if you appear incapable of fulfilling an oath, freely given.

For myself, if a thank you is given, you are welcome. If none is offered, no offense as I was just doing my job to the best of my ability.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:14 AM

32,978 posts, read 19,947,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
exactly right!

thank the 17th amendment for the sh|t politicians we have now

According to the op we, even I who have lost family to war, are disingenuous in our appreciation. I'd say the majority of servicemen appreciate it. I'll thank a soldier whenever I get the chance, and I hope they'll take it for what it's worth... which is a lot, and genuine!
yeah totally agree.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:42 AM

29,287 posts, read 39,605,925 times
My narrow self-interest that got me into a war was screwing around in high school so badly that I had terrible grades and could not afford/get into college and get a draft deferment. So I "served". No need to thank me. Whenever my wife and daughter get a nail manicure from Vietnamese immigrants I am rewarded in knowing that our war upon those miserable people made the world a better place.

I do believe that at least one or two times a year, the people of this nation need to be reminded of all the good men and women they have sent to their deaths in the name of corporate profiteering. Our many wars were not in vain. They were just for different reasons than we were told. Saying "thanks for your service" should not be too much of a burden considering.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:50 AM

In my opinion, it takes some guts for a random stranger to approach and express that appreciation.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:53 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,109,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Do you feel any better about the current CiC?

Don't get me wrong, as I agree with you. GWB freakin made this Reagan Republican become a Libertarian... damn it!

We might not see eye to eye, but we can both agree that politicians can kiss our assets... as they try to steal them!

Happy VDAY, and TY for your service
Thanks man. I had high hopes for Obama, but I'm not a huge fan. I think he's worlds better than McCain or Romney would have been, so I would not have changed my vote in either election. I hope some day the GOP runs someone I could consider voting for, but given the state of the party, I think that's going to be awhile.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:57 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,109,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
We're what you might call a "military" family , of combat veterans, BTW, and the almost perfrfunctory Thank you for your service gets under my skin, too.

I can't imagine thanking someone for service in the military simply because s/he's wearing an identifying cap, jacket, or t-shirt. And is this a war veteran, or someone who worked behind the scenes for 20 years (or far fewer, for the benefits)? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but in this family all veterans are not created equal

Not by a long shot.
Yep and yep. I've done four deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, but I'm not a combat soldier. The closest I've gotten to combat was to take incoming fire or travel down roads with IEDs (never had one hit my vehicle). I'm not exactly the same as a guy who did four deployments to kick down doors and shoot bad guys. That said, my deployments were far more dangerous than any most airmen or sailors do -- it's all relative. You can't really lump all vets together. It annoys me that people do.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 PM

29,287 posts, read 39,605,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yep and yep. I've done four deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, but I'm not a combat soldier. The closest I've gotten to combat was to take incoming fire or travel down roads with IEDs (never had one hit my vehicle). I'm not exactly the same as a guy who did four deployments to kick down doors and shoot bad guys. That said, my deployments were far more dangerous than any most airmen or sailors do -- it's all relative. You can't really lump all vets together. It annoys me that people do.
I hear you, but you I have always believed that the ones serving in "peace time", or in the lonely outposts sitting in front of a radar screen, or taking part in endless exercises and days filled cleaning the hardware in preparation are the ones that are really defending our freedoms. Nam, Iraq, Afghan - none of that was about defending us. When I was in 'Nam, the guys in Europe or Korea or Japan were doing more for our national defense than we were. The ones who are out there projecting our power and deterring those who might actually harm us deserve more credit than they ever get.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:27 PM

At the end of the day there is a stigma on both pogs and grunts and many Marines I personally know seem to not be interested in doing away with this stigma. lol

One thing is for certain. In today's USMC you are getting a much more educated Marine, especially in the infantry field, so this is a good thing.

I personally (key word: personally) respect grunts and enlisted a little bit more, I know this is not politically correct for me to say. This is just a personal opinion of mine. It seems to me that Sergeant, Corporal die in combat the most, and most Veterans are not retirees. No veterans I know (personally) collect a big chunk of benefits like some posters suggested. Grunts are the ones who walk into direct combat, since they have to put up with much more overall, their standards and expectations are usually higher, since their training in many cases is much tougher and different, many of them will feel they they deserve much more respect and they don't want to be seen in the same manner as a pog. I think that is fine and very understandable.

I think many pogs do have a higher respect for grunts, but once a grunt starts popping his chops, that respect level will go out the door therefore continuing this divide. It's hard to respect anyone when they dedicate their time to bringing you down for juvenile reasons.

My friend served in Marine Corps for a total of seven years, he lost one arm and has one son. He is a single father. He is also working part time as a mechanic assistance. He gets $2000 / month. And he earned every cent of that money. I believe he deserves it.

My own bro served too, he didn't get anything. He did ops overseas, and his mos was 0321. Many people served because they wanted to be there. Nothing more, nothing less. My brother got what he wanted too. A life time of friendship formed in combat. No complains there.

I say thank you for your service because I understand their sacrifices. I have seen it. Thank you for your service can open a door for open conversation too. It cannot be a bad thing when you really think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or