Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
All this attention and praise lavished on veterans was engineered by the warmongers themselves (most of whom never wore a uniform), it is so cynical at its core, because the real meaning behind it is to make ones service in some hell hole of a war zone the U.S. government created to be so sacrosanct that speaking out against war is considered something akin to treason, and peer pressure works. Make the brave soul who speaks out isolated, while all those around him/her are busy thanking vets and putting magnetic ribbons on their cars. Make churches places where it is better to praise and pray than to speak out against the inhumanity of war.

It has worked to perfection in this country.
Absolutely spot on. This is EXACTLY what this is about.

And I cringe every time I hear thus nonsense about fighting for our freedoms, when the war monger profiteers are creating these endless conflicts overseas while simultaneously crafting legislation to strip Americans of those very "freedoms" they claim these conflicts are protecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 07:38 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I apologize if this", as you should.

Who do you think YOU are to tell others how to show appreciation for those that served.

Suck it up, say "thank you" back and move on!
Boy I wish some folks would work on their reading comprehension skills...

First line of the post of the original post.

"First, on behalf of all the vets that appreciate the sentiment, don't let my rant keep you from thanking them.

Just don't thank me.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:45 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
To all those who "called me out" because I left out the fact that many had "no choice" but to serve because of the draft, I apologize for my oversight. I do realize that many chose to accept being drafted rather than face jail or leave the country. Although my view is that it is weak or cowardly not to act in accordance of what one believes (for example, to participate in a war that one thinks is wrong), I do know that many others view those who refused to serve as the weak and cowardly ones!

The fact is, I think, that most people choose to do what is right for themselves as individuals, but I can only say that if I had been a male and been given a draft notice for the Vietnam War (my era), I am fairly certain that I would have fought to be recognized as a conscientious objector, no matter what the consequences, and I would have refused to go to Vietnam, regardless.

However, to emphasize, I do very much recognize that what is "right" in the opinion of one person would be very "wrong" in the opinion of someone else!
So now they are cowards if they didn't pull a bill clinton or Ali?

How surprising.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
What needs to be kept saying in these many "thanking veterans" threads is, why don't people in the military thank civilians for their support of the military?

It is ALWAYS thank the veteran this, thank the veteran that. How about veterans and those in the military start thanking civilians for all the kind words, thoughts, gift packages and letters sent, etc.?

I've mentioned before that when I was serving overseas, we received gift packages. Many of my compadres opened these boxes, but tossed aside the cards or letters from civilians that accompanied the boxes like trash.

I made it a point to answer every person that sent a care package that I opened a response back thanking them for their kindness.

This sense of entitlement and selfishness just irks me. Some expecting butt kissing and benefits because of the uniform they wear.

Enough already.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Your rant has been heard and likely to make no difference except to get whatever off your chest. I am a Vietnam era VET and I even thank other military I see now for their service and mean it. I think perhaps they are the less numerous serving this country in a very dangerous era where often they are deployed time and again. I want them to know they are never far from my mind.
The difference being of course, you're sincere and previously one of them. They can probably tell that from the get-go. You're not someone who is merely parroting a trite phrase to garner self appeasement.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:07 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Absolutely spot on. This is EXACTLY what this is about.

And I cringe every time I hear thus nonsense about fighting for our freedoms, when the war monger profiteers are creating these endless conflicts overseas while simultaneously crafting legislation to strip Americans of those very "freedoms" they claim these conflicts are protecting.
That's called an oxymoron and those who engage in it would be called...........

Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What needs to be kept saying in these many "thanking veterans" threads is, why don't people in the military thank civilians for their support of the military?
It reminds me of when my husband went out to dinner on Veterans day and the waitress said,
"Thank you for your service." And my husband said "Well, thank you for thanking me for my service"
Never heard so many TY's in a few sentences in my whole life

Old 05-23-2015, 08:36 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
I understand OP's comment, it does sound hollow and we understand that there are reasons people go into the military many for financial reasons. What OP is missing is just like the EMT, Police, medical staff who provide a service to others that many could not do so are you. You are working to support yourself and family instead of taking the easy way out like many who end up on welfare. You could be called into battle, maybe working in support services which is also important. We could fund a military to the hilt but without people willing to serve in the military there is no telling what would happen to this country and the people who live within this country. So thank you for doing a job I know I could not do. Just know there are people who realize the importance of your job and appreciate people like you.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:44 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Thanks for your service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Thank you for your service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
*mumblemumble* your service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Thank you for your service.
Not surprising considering what I've read from above on other topics...

"Thank you for your service" used as "praise" and just as glibly thrown around as a taunt, thanks for illustrating my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
As a civilian, quite frankly I resent the implication in the OP's post - that everyone who didn't serve is somehow a secret war-monger, eager to send "somebody else" to war to die, and then trying to make themselves feel better by saying "thank you for your service."

It's a sad state we've reached when we can't even honestly thank somebody for their sacrifice without having idiotic accusations made against us.
If the cap fit, let them wear it.

Bob Marley
Quote:
Those who want the endless wars are the people in power - most of the civilian population has not supported "war without end" in years.
But supported it in the past, when opposition actually meant something, so what is it now guilt?

Quote:
Understand that before basically accusing your countrymen of all being cowards, eager to start wars and then have somebody else fight them.
Cowards, I wouldn't go that far more like a penchant for outsourcing.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:47 AM

39,226 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Clearly the civilians have no clue what it was like to serve in the military, but when most of us thank you guys for your service, it comes from a good place in our hearts and they know the sacrifice that took place in general term.

I would hate to see a story like this dissuade people from recognizing the service of our veterans and thanking them for going through what most civilians could never possibly imagine on behalf of their nation. If any of our vets feel that there is a sneer behind the thanks, I hope they stop to talk to some of the people offering them and understand that the well wishes are almost always heartfelt and sincere, even if they come from a place of only marginal understanding when it comes to the nitty gritty of service.

That being said, personal boundary needs to be respected. I can only imagine that there are a lot of things combat veterans just do not like to hear, like "What was the nastiest or most disgusting thing you saw over there? Did you kill anybody?" stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies