U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 PM

39,126 posts, read 20,252,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
There is a lot of talk about "equal pay" on a gender basis and now women can serve in combat units in the military. Hillary Clinton wants to be elected commander in chief of our armed forces, yet she has never served a day in the military. It is true that she can't be called a draft dodger(like her husband) since women were not subject to the draft, but nothing prevented her from volunteering for military service during the Vietnam War. Why should we put her in charge of all U.S. servicemen and servicewomen when she wouldn't take the initiative to serve herself?
I'm not sure, she can't even answer the red phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 AM

10,946 posts, read 8,233,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Yes.

Bush graduated from Harvard and liberals constantly called him stupid and incompetent, what makes you think graduating from Harvard makes this hopelessly corrupt candidate qualified? Shouldn't the POTUS have at least a shred of integrity? Hillary clearly doesn't.
Careful, you may have just added a word to the liberal pc banned word list: integrity.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:32 AM

6,966 posts, read 5,403,691 times
Quote:
There is a lot of talk about "equal pay" on a gender basis and now women can serve in combat units in the military. Hillary Clinton wants to be elected commander in chief of our armed forces, yet she has never served a day in the military. It is true that she can't be called a draft dodger(like her husband) since women were not subject to the draft, but nothing prevented her from volunteering for military service during the Vietnam War. Why should we put her in charge of all U.S. servicemen and servicewomen when she wouldn't take the initiative to serve herself?
Stupid post. Hillary and I are about the same age. Serving in the military was not a consideration for women in the mid 60s.
Quote:
The country relied on the Selective Service System to draft sufficient numbers of young men, but the armed services maintained that women volunteers needed to be smarter and more qualified than these men in order to perform the jobs open to them. And they needed to be feminine.

Military recruiting brochures targeting women promised “challenging jobs with unlimited opportunities.” But in fact, most truly challenging technical jobs were closed to women, and those already trained and experienced in technical skills such as engine repair, equipment maintenance, intelligence, weather and radio operations were retrained for jobs the military considered women's work.

In the Army, WACs no longer underwent bivouac training or weapons famliarization. WAF recruits were told how to apply lipstick correctly and Women Marines were told their lipstick and nail polish had to match the scarlet braid on their uniform hats. Even in Vietnam under combat conditions, women were told to dress in skirts and pumps rather than boots and field clothing in order to project a neat and feminine image. Their careers were further limited because women were allowed few promotion opportunities and none could serve as admirals or generals. Women in the US Military - 1960s

Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 AM

7,981 posts, read 3,431,885 times
When did the Bush boys go in the military? (Crickets) enough said....

Old 05-25-2015, 12:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,410,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
When did the Bush boys go in the military? (Crickets) enough said....
Which one? George W. Bush served in the military - he was qualified. Jeb Bush did not serve in the military - he is not qualified. By the way it is considered inappropriate to not allow some time go by before using the "crickets" meme, but you may be new to internet forums so I will let that pass. Besides, it doesn't work with me if you thought that you were scoring some partisan points. I despise both parties. Democracy exists to inhibit change.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:49 PM

10,946 posts, read 8,233,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Stupid post. Hillary and I are about the same age. Serving in the military was not a consideration for women in the mid 60s.
And yet many did serve. How do you explain that?

Old 05-25-2015, 06:28 PM

3,817 posts, read 1,617,135 times
Quote:
Military service would be a mark against her in my view. Killing brown people who never attacked us for a paycheck isn't admirable. And that's been our military's primary mission since WWII ended.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM

19,433 posts, read 17,674,661 times
Quote:
I don't know about the conservative narrative. It is the truth. I despise both parties, so don't think that you are scoring any points. The truth doesn't see partisan nonsense and the truth is that Congress voted for war. Can you not handle the truth?
Congress authorized the use of force. Bush pulled the proverbial trigger.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:33 PM

6,966 posts, read 5,403,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
And yet many did serve. How do you explain that?
During the Vietnam era, 7000 women served in the military. http://www.va.gov/vetdata/docs/speci...3_2_12_v_7.pdf Most of them were nurses. http://www.nationalvietnamveteransfo...statistics.htm

I wouldn't call 7000 "many," more like "some." As I said, military service was not a consideration for most women in the 1960s.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,223,494 times
She would have been a K-9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies