Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 03:47 PM

934 posts, read 595,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I'm ashamed of the American left.
Since you probably consider demcrats left, and majority of Americans supported Obama.in the last election, that means youre ashamed of majority of the country.

Is that what righties consider patriotic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:49 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Is anyone surprised to see right-wingers using Memorial Day to push their anti-liberal, war-mongering agenda?
It was a leftist that brought up war mongering....

Old 05-23-2015, 03:57 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Since you probably consider demcrats left, and majority of Americans supported Obama.in the last election, that means youre ashamed of majority of the country.

Is that what righties consider patriotic
LOL...no, but nice try...

obama won 50% of the people who showed up to vote......not 50% of Americans....

Old 05-23-2015, 04:06 PM

934 posts, read 595,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
LOL...no, but nice try...

obama won 50% of the people who showed up to vote......not 50% of Americans....
He won with more than 50% and.his approval rating was 70% during the election

Old 05-23-2015, 04:32 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Jesus H Christ people go out and Celebrate on Monday because you can.

Raise a beer, have a cup a joe, BBQ with family, make love to your significant other, visit fallen loved ones at the cemetery, watch the PBS Memorial Day Tribute, volunteer to make someone's life easier or comfort those in pain, smoke a doobie, go for a ride on your motorcycle, go to work, WTF ever.

Just understand that millions have paid the price with their lives in service to this country. Many hundreds of millions more benefited from that service.

Lets understand something, anything the government does, is in the interest of the government, not the people. And memorial day is as clear a case as any. It is about worshiping the military, and the military is supposed to represent America, and our so-called "freedoms".

In reality, the military does not represent America, and for that matter, America is not free. And everyone who isn't either dishonest or delusional knows it.

As for the people in this thread who want to rant about how much they love America. They don't know what they are talking about. What is America anyway? Many conservatives think America is what it was prior to Obama being elected. Some believe America is what it was in the 1950's or 1960's. Some conservatives look to our founding fathers and the Constitution for what America is. But obviously all of these America's cannot be "America". Nor is America some monolithic entity. America is quite different from one end to the other, and America is quite different from one social "class" to another.

There is a great quote by Jon Stewart...

"With Republicans, they never have to prove that they love this country. Democrats always seem to have to prove to America that they love America. Republicans love America- they just seem to hate about 50 percent of the people who live in it. Democrats- you know, for their thing, it’s always they love this country- they just somehow wish it were a different country. You know, Democrats are always like- you know, America’s the greatest country in the world. Have you seen Finland’s health care system? You get back rubs at work. You’re surrounded by sandwiches."

The truth is, everyone fundamentally hates America. Everyone fundamentally hates the majority of Americans, or at least disagrees with them so fundamentally that the issues can never be reconciled. And no one has any clue what America actually is. If anyone tries to describe it, they do it in such a vague way, that either its impossible to disagree, or it could just as well be said about basically every other country on Earth.

With that said, I like some parts of America, and hate most of the rest, and I certainly hate our garbage government. The only saving grace of America, is that it is so rural. Rural people, or rural areas, are the only parts of this country not filled to the brim with garbage people. Who would want to live in an America that was nothing but New York City from coast to coast?

What irritates me about conservatives, is their unwillingness to criticism this country, this government, or even "What is left" of our constitution after Supreme Court activism(living document). They might complain, but they sure as hell aren't doing anything about it. They don't understand that the culture has been taken over. And this takeover is rooted in our education system, and to some extent the military(which is often used more for social-engineering and imperialism, than defending anyone's "freedom"). The only way to save America, is to abolish the Federal Reserve, abolish public schools, and downsize the military to only what is absolutely necessary.

Otherwise, those who claim they love America, will wake up a few years from now and no longer recognize the country they live in. And I'm afraid these things won't happen through anything short of revolution.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:41 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
The use of the soldier is being outmoded. Technologies are in place that
can subdue or kill entire populations with very little human involvement.
There isn't a gun on the planet that can protect you from a microwave beam
shot by a drone into your house that can burn it to ashes in 5 seconds, or a
wave of electrical static frequency that can give entire population centers
immediate cardiac arrest and disabling of brain function. These and worse
can be used at any time. We are in a new world, people.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:45 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Now, sit down on the back porch and play me a little "Cripple Creek," please.

I was already playing the banjo when I enlisted, and took it with me throughout my service with the exception of boot camp.

A lot of servicemen do that, but most bring their guitars.

Whatever anyone thinks about Memorial Day is OK with me. All wars are stupid, but we are a warring species. Show me a guy who wants to die for his country and I'll show you a lunatic. Accepting the possibility of death is nothing but part of the job description, and there are a lot of jobs that can kill someone

Everyone who ever enlisted did so for a thousand different reasons, and once anyone is in, everything else is a matter of blind luck. I ended up pulling a ship that kept me half the world away from Vietnam only because I was given a choice of which coast I wanted to go after graduating from radio school. Since I hd never been east of Colorado in my life, I put in for the east coast. Nothing but blind luck. I could have just as easily ended up on the Mekong river in a swift boat even though I wanted to go east.

A hell of a lot of kids my age never got any choices. They were drafted, and that was that. Getting drafted and sent to a war has left a lot of them angry for life, and if I had been drafted I may have been one of them now.

I never resented any of the kids who never served, and there were plenty of them, too. What they did was their business, not mine. I din't give it much thought when I enlisted, but I would not have wanted a draft resister who was forced into the Navy as a shipmate of mine; such a person would have been a drag to be around, and likely would not have done a good job.

But if families of our dead military feel the need to justify their loved one's deaths with a day of remembrance, so be it. Our memorial Day is our Day Of The Dead, a day when we all remember our dead loved ones. Nothing at all wrong with that.

There is no need for patriotic chest thumping. But I guess some folks feel the need for it, and if it makes them feel better, that's OK with me too. They are no more special than the rest of us.

Last edited by banjomike; 05-23-2015 at 05:24 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 04:53 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Lets understand something, anything the government does, is in the interest of the government, not the people. And memorial day is as clear a case as any. It is about worshiping the military, and the military is supposed to represent America, and our so-called "freedoms".

In reality, the military does not represent America, and for that matter, America is not free. And everyone who isn't either dishonest or delusional knows it.

As for the people in this thread who want to rant about how much they love America. They don't know what they are talking about. What is America anyway? Many conservatives think America is what it was prior to Obama being elected. Some believe America is what it was in the 1950's or 1960's. Some conservatives look to our founding fathers and the Constitution for what America is. But obviously all of these America's cannot be "America". Nor is America some monolithic entity. America is quite different from one end to the other, and America is quite different from one social "class" to another.

There is a great quote by Jon Stewart...

"With Republicans, they never have to prove that they love this country. Democrats always seem to have to prove to America that they love America. Republicans love America- they just seem to hate about 50 percent of the people who live in it. Democrats- you know, for their thing, it’s always they love this country- they just somehow wish it were a different country. You know, Democrats are always like- you know, America’s the greatest country in the world. Have you seen Finland’s health care system? You get back rubs at work. You’re surrounded by sandwiches."

The truth is, everyone fundamentally hates America. Everyone fundamentally hates the majority of Americans, or at least disagrees with them so fundamentally that the issues can never be reconciled. And no one has any clue what America actually is. If anyone tries to describe it, they do it in such a vague way, that either its impossible to disagree, or it could just as well be said about basically every other country on Earth.

With that said, I like some parts of America, and hate most of the rest, and I certainly hate our garbage government. The only saving grace of America, is that it is so rural. Rural people, or rural areas, are the only parts of this country not filled to the brim with garbage people. Who would want to live in an America that was nothing but New York City from coast to coast?

What irritates me about conservatives, is their unwillingness to criticism this country, this government, or even "What is left" of our constitution after Supreme Court activism(living document). They might complain, but they sure as hell aren't doing anything about it. They don't understand that the culture has been taken over. And this takeover is rooted in our education system, and to some extent the military(which is often used more for social-engineering and imperialism, than defending anyone's "freedom"). The only way to save America, is to abolish the Federal Reserve, abolish public schools, and downsize the military to only what is absolutely necessary.

Otherwise, those who claim they love America, will wake up a few years from now and no longer recognize the country they live in. And I'm afraid these things won't happen through anything short of revolution.
Glad you got that all out of your system are you?

Go back and reread my post you quoted because I believe you didn't but just clicked on it to post this moronic diatribe and use it as an occasion to insert a quote from your social hero Jon Stewart.

But hey whatever that's what this holiday is about. Now go get that doobie stoked up and get back to those Daily Show reruns on YouTube or Hulu.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:02 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
The LWNJs seem to always forget it was their hero, FDR, that maneuvered the USA into a world war that killed a couple hundred thousand Americans. They forget that JFK ramped up VN and LBJ really went nuts causing tens of thousands of Americans to get killed. It was a republican administration that ended it. Look what the left did to Nixon while later ignoring the crimes of Clinton and Obamba.

The LWNJs also seem to forget the senate dems overwhelmingly supported both Bush's in going to war. LWNJs are a hypocritical bunch of wackos.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:06 PM

46,956 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am not ashamed of what I had to do while I was in 'Nam. I was trying to save my companions lives and my own. I did what had to be done. I did not sign on to be a thug for the French Michelin company.

I am ashamed of my country for being there and everywhere else we have been fighting ever since. Fighting to protect investors anywhere is moral delinquency and an economic sin. They knew the risk when they made the investment and protecting their mistakes just distorts the real market.

This is not a happy weekend for me. I grieve for all those that fought for the wrong cause at the wrong time. I mostly grieve for those that died trying to save their companions.
Well said, that man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies