Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Apples to Oranges really. In most European Countries many of the degrees we have in College are taught at vocational schools.
Yep. I think the European model makes sense. Unfortunately, in this country, people would never agree to limit college based on academic achievement/testing. People like to pay lip service to the idea that only the best and brightest should go to college until their special snowflake doesn't make the cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yep. I think the European model makes sense. Unfortunately, in this country, people would never agree to limit college based on academic achievement/testing. People like to pay lip service to the idea that only the best and brightest should go to college until their special snowflake doesn't make the cut.
There is no one "European" model. They're all different. Britain in particular is getting more like the US, with more student choice. In fact, most that I've looked at are going that way. Who knew we were doing something right?

I think systems that track kids like that, often as young as 10-11 years old, suck. There's no other word for it. There ARE late bloomers.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:24 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is no one "European" model. They're all different. Britain in particular is getting more like the US, with more student choice. In fact, most that I've looked at are going that way. Who knew we were doing something right?

I think systems that track kids like that, often as young as 10-11 years old, suck. There's no other word for it. There ARE late bloomers.
For the late bloomers in Germany:

"Possible ways to get Abitur ( university entry qualification)

• Gymnasium (Realschulabschluss with qualification for Sek2 after class 9 needed)->class 10 - 12 Sek2/Oberstufe ->Abitur examination (the classical way) (This school is for fast learners)
  • Gesamtschule (if available in your state)(Realschulabschluss with qualificatiion for Sek2 needed in class 10) -> class 11 - 13 Sek2/Oberstufe ->Abitur examination (If the Kid needs a bit more time this is good too)
  • Realschule until class 10 (+ qualificatiion for Sek2), switch to Gymnasium grade 10 or Gesamtschule grade 11 rest see above. (Realschule is ok, do not worry your kid can make the Abitur if it cares for the grades)
  • Hauptschule (Realschulabschluss with qualification for Sek2 in class 10 needed), switch to Gymnasium or Gesamtschule(adviced cause you have a year more to adapt).

(In earlier times Hauptschule was for kids who are a bit more into craft, nowadays it has a bad reputation, that does not really mean that Hauptschule is really bad, it depends on the staff and the pupils gathered in the school.)

What is important for the career of your kid independent from the kind of school, is to reach the Realschulabschluss with qualification for Sek2.

Also in my view an apprenticeship in germany is not necessarily worse than an university degree, some of them can be easily compared to an Bachelor degree (depending on profession) and some Meister in a profession are near a Master degree in my opinion."

Old 05-29-2015, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Thanks for some input from the source!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:03 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
[quote=Frank DeForrest;39748430]Yes making your neighbor pay for the education of your children is immoral.

As if one person or a handful of washington "experts" would know the educational needs of a country of 300 million [/QUOTE

Frank it isn't just immoral to pay for our neighbors childrens education its also immoral to pay for doctors and CEOs education too. Immorality doesn't know class boundaries. The highest defaults on college loans etc is Doctors and Lawyers etc, who pays and is still paying for that? Why is it in this country morality is defined by clsss?

The bottomline is every economic superpower has a highly educated workforce. Highschool performance has no standing on ability of students success in college later. Raising the education level of our workforce will make us more competitive in the world market.

I would require students to take perhaps the best college class to take at a college level and that is a college success class. Since most of success at this level is managing time.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:25 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What in the World: Free college tuition for all? - CNN Video

Checkout this video. I thought he made some good points.
Plus we are already over $18 trillion in debt, so where is all this free taxpayer funded college money going to come from? Our grandchildren?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:33 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Plus we are already over $18 trillion in debt, so where is all this free taxpayer funded college money going to come from? Our grandchildren?
As I've pointed out once or twice before in this thread, the federal government already spends more on federal grants (not loans--grants) than all the public colleges collect in tuition. This proposal would save money.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:28 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Free college for students who can make the grade ,others will have the option to go to trade school or military .

Old 05-30-2015, 05:34 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yes. Most people shouldn't have to go to college to have a career. The path should be open for people to demonstrate their skills and aptitude through testing. Thank disparate impact lawsuits for it being closed.
You are one of the few that have nailed it! Dead on you nailed it!

Many, but not all, college degrees offered today are a joke and if they are the avenue to earning more money over a lifetime, a claim all to often made, why shouldn't we expect colleges and universities guarantee their own student loans?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:59 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times

From your link:

"In Germany every child has a legal right to attend kindergarten from the age of three until the age of six, when compulsory education begins"

Anything before first grade is private and not mandatory. They generally believe the kids are better off with mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies