Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 AM

6,243 posts, read 5,031,083 times

Advertisements

I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV

Old 10-06-2014, 10:23 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,068,283 times
Good for her. This is far more constructive than what most celebrities have to say about... anything really. Particularly the part about her not wanting gto be labeled African American. Any racial tension that exists could easily be solved, or at the very least reduced in severity, by not being concerned with racial labels.

As for the gay thing, again, good for her. This one is a smaller issue big picture, but societies obsession with labeling everything is a great way to divide people, which is generally not good.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:32 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,848,474 times
She seems to be a very intelligent and enlightened young woman and has also been able to avoid the plight of nearly all child stars.

I've always been a fan of Raven.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,200,559 times
Smart women.....good for her.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:44 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,333,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV

I happen to agree with her.

Government labels do nothing but set the teams, to do battle with one another.

"That's so Raven" Had no idea watching it with my daughter years ago, that she was Ruddy on the Cosby show, until now.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:57 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,661,056 times
Wow in 2 sentences she removed all labels and said call me an American.

Liberals must besides themselves.

Can't call her GAY and or African American. To things they take great pride in reporting and or making more then it needs to be.

Raven basically has taken the last 30 years of liberal reporting and causes and said I am not a GROUP. So what is it Raven can do this and liberals/progressives are so focused on her relationship status and her color label.

Sounds like Oprah should take a hint.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 AM

17,320 posts, read 9,134,679 times
Oprah did not take this well ..... and apparently, neither did her viewers. Oprah tried to get Raven to retract her statement.

Raven's response was PERFECT -

“I don’t know where my roots go to. I don’t know how far back they go,” she said. “I don’t know what country my family’s from. But I do know that my roots are in Louisiana.”

“I’m American — and that’s a colorless person,” she said confidently.

She said her parents taught her to keep her private life "private" -- great advice for a child star, so many of them go way off track and end up with destroyed lives. She said she doesn't want to be "put in a box" (i.e. the Gay Box or African American Box) -- think about that for a minute.

She is correct - that's exactly what those labels do. They put you in a Box, and there you stay while manipulators toss that Box around, put it on a shelf, haul it out when it's time to vote or just ignore it at will. Point is -- you are in the Box and expected to stay there and do what you are told.

Lucky kid to have such great parents - "I'm an American & a Lover of Humans -- and that's a colorless person". I'm sure her family is very proud of her, as they should be. She is a woman who is very comfortable in her skin and the color of it has nothing to do with who she is. An American is colorless.

On a side note - I have a good friend of about 30 years. She is Black (about 20 years older than I am, and I used the term once about her being African American (we were discussing her early years of picking cotton) - Whoa! She got mad. She pointed her finger at me and said -- "Don't you be calling me an African American, I'm the same kind of American you are. I've never been to Africa and don't know anyone who has. I apologized. I've never forgotten that. She made it clear that calling her an AA was an insult to her as an American. It's why I never use the term, I consider it an insult - my friend convinced me of that.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,369,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Wow in 2 sentences she removed all labels and said call me an American.

Liberals must besides themselves.

Can't call her GAY and or African American. To things they take great pride in reporting and or making more then it needs to be.

Raven basically has taken the last 30 years of liberal reporting and causes and said I am not a GROUP. So what is it Raven can do this and liberals/progressives are so focused on her relationship status and her color label.

Sounds like Oprah should take a hint.

I always got a kick out of her, when she was little and she grew up to be an amazing young women. Agree with your post. Most should take a hint from her, but we know they won't. I like what she said and she does not have to go along with the status quo.

An American is what she is. In today's world a lot of time media reporting, seems to make things so much more worse.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:45 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Liberals will have no use for her since she's no longer apart of any "protected class", nothing to exploit. I agree with her, I'm not African American either, I'm a Black Texan

Last edited by 14Bricks; 10-06-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 11:59 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,369,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Liberals will have no use for her since she no longer apart of any "protected class", nothing to exploit I agree with her, I'm not African American either, I'm a Black Texan

I am glad that you agree with her common sense approach. I sincerely do not think she is the type person, who really cares what others think about her. She has her own mind, and will not be sway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies