Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,966,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
This situation does not reflect a deteriorating economy or Bush. Instead, it merely reflects a national trend that consumers are growing sick and tired of enclosed shopping malls and the inconvenience of getting into them from the parking lots. The smaller stores are especially unhandy to get to. Neither do people like the bother it takes to get to the upper level stores. People now much prefer going to the strip malls. Both the large and small stores are easier to get to from the parking lots.
I've never heard or read of this before. I am genuinely curious (as an entrepreneur about to open up something of direct relevance). Where did you read this or hear of this? I'll go out and search on my own but would appreciate it if you could point me to your sources of information.

Thanks in advance.

Regarding the OP's topic - I would definitely state that the US is in some interesting economic times right now. Not necessarily the textbook definition of a recession... but the poor and middle-class do seem to be tightening their belts spending-wise. I would in any case not rely upon the media nor the government to tell you when a recession begins... they're clueless and obligated to never make such an announcement as the announcement itself would cause panic and repercussions that would make things worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 04:39 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,155,863 times
It is actually a well documented evolution, from malls towards "power centers"

Hamilton Marketplace: The Future of Shopping | Mercer Business | Find Articles at BNET.com

Old 01-20-2008, 05:20 PM

4,520 posts, read 6,759,524 times
There are mixed signals in the marketplace. The educated shopper doesn't want to get ripped off when they watch the news and keep hearing how bad things are so they will wait to get a better deal if they're not in a hurry.

I went to the Mall of New Hampshire yesterday. You would have thought it was Christmas shopping season. The traffic was horrendous inside and out. People carrying many bags. There were some pretty good discounts on winter items.

I stopped to look for a new cell phone and teenagers were in there with parents laying down $399 for an I-Phone plus accessories like it was no big deal.

In my home state of Connecticut people evidently didn't knock the retailers dead at Christmas but business has been pretty good lately. I think a lot of people are out using their gift cards to take advantage of the discounts. I know many people who received them for Christmas.

Department stores and other retailers are definitely impacted by media hype one way or another. Those retailers that are part of larger organizations can weather the storm better than the smaller ones. That's why there has been so much consolidation and why everywhere you go it's pretty much the same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies