Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,287 times

Advertisements

Seriously,

I am going to pull up a chair and ask that some of you to pull up beside me and challenge me. What I really dislike about politics is that you can present certain facts that is without question reasonable and yet, people will look at you and the information, and just continue on with their agenda.

Listen, I am not attacking any particular party so I am not going to be specific. Today while watching a prime time cable news show, there was a round table and the discussion was when will the blank party follow the lead of Ireland with regards to Gay Marriage. They provided footage of the candidates keeping their stance on the issue. But, and a big BUT, there is no mention of the Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s secretary of state and second to the pope, saying “I was deeply saddened by the result,” at a conference in Rome on Tuesday night.

Vatican says Ireland gay marriage vote is 'defeat for humanity' | World news | The Guardian

BUT, and another BUT, the one political party is questioning why the US doesn't follow the lead of a region where recently- Dated March 22, 2015:

Quote:
"Dublin-born law graduate Laura Lee, 37, and an Irish psychology graduate and sex worker, has of a range of services that include S&M and bondage. She said she was taking the legal challenge to thwart an attempt to introduce a similar law criminalizing the consumers of sex in the Irish Republic. She is also launching an unprecedented legal challenge that could go all the way to Strasbourg, against a human trafficking bill which includes banning the payment for sex among consenting adults".
Not to mention:

Quote:
The region is the only part of the UK where people can be convicted of paying for sex. The law, which was championed by Democratic Unionist peer and Stormont assembly member Lord Morrow, comes into effect on 1 June.
Sex worker launches legal challenge against NI prostitution ban | UK news | The Guardian

So, virtually look me in they eye and please tell me, no matter what religion, race, political party, or sex, and if there is a hell, we are all going in a hand basked cause we are all simply full of S....

How is that we have so many contradicting views and yet still try to find a way to blame one another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:18 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Sorry dude, I read it twice and I still don't know what you're getting at.

Translation, anybody?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
I read it once and don't get what s/he is getting at. Not making much sense. Maybe someone else can translate???

Old 05-26-2015, 08:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Me three, I don't get the point either.

Unless it's a plea for more civility? I agree that would be nice, but a deeply contentious issue like homosexuality is bound to evoke strong responses, and for many people, the only means they have to express how strongly they feel is "casting vile aspersions" on those they disagree with.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Unless it's a plea for more civility?

That'd be my guess, but I really can't tell.

I'd tell this feller to 'use his words'... but I think he already used too many.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
What?

Here's what I'll say. People who are against gay marriage shouldn't be hunted by the media. Yes, they are stupid, and yes, you are stupid if you care how other people have sex. It's none of your business and hurts no one. But being against it doesn't make someone a bad person. People are entitled to their views, even if it's a stupid view.

As I understand it, that's how Ireland is. The pro-SSM aren't publicly ostracizing the anti-SSM crowd. I don't know if Ireland just isn't super politically divided (and therefor unintelligent) or if this is just an issue most aren't that invested in.

Either way, we could learn something from Ireland.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Sorry dude, I read it twice and I still don't know what you're getting at.

Translation, anybody?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I read it once and don't get what s/he is getting at. Not making much sense. Maybe someone else can translate???
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Me three, I don't get the point either.

Unless it's a plea for more civility? I agree that would be nice, but a deeply contentious issue like homosexuality is bound to evoke strong responses, and for many people, the only means they have to express how strongly they feel is "casting vile aspersions" on those they disagree with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
That'd be my guess, but I really can't tell.

I'd tell this feller to 'use his words'... but I think he already used too many.
Hey, it's all good. Not trying to rub shoulders or pick a fight so I will better articulate.

The point I am trying to make is that today, there was a round table on MSNBC going at the Rep candidates for not taking a positive stance at gay marriage and refferring to Ireland as a leader that we should follow. On the same page, the Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s secretary of state and second to the pope, said he was deeply saddened by the result of the gay marriage vote.

At the same time, the Liberals are wanting the US to take after Ireland, which is the ONLY part of the UK that just recently criminalized paying for sex and at the same time you have a law/psychology graduate, who is also a sex worker taking legal action against Northern Ireland, saying it is against the human privacy laws...

So, all of this is happening where the Vatican's second in command is not in aggreeance, a service worker is fighting a law that was just instituted, and US liberal wanting republicans to follow the lead of that country while citing 60% of Americans approve of gay marriage.

Where do we draw the line? It's like we are all on our own program. It sounds confusing because it actually is...

Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
While I think Irish public opinion and papal opinion are useful things to know, I'm not sure how relevant they are to the American debate. Why do you think that Americans should somehow align themselves with the Irish and/or the pope? Are we not entitled to our own take on the issues? Why wouldn't we be "on our own program"?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Hey, it's all good. Not trying to rub shoulders or pick a fight so I will better articulate.

The point I am trying to make is that today, there was a round table on MSNBC going at the Rep candidates for not taking a positive stance at gay marriage and refferring to Ireland as a leader that we should follow. On the same page, the Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican’s secretary of state and second to the pope, said he was deeply saddened by the result of the gay marriage vote.

At the same time, the Liberals are wanting the US to take after Ireland, which is the ONLY part of the UK that just recently criminalized paying for sex and at the same time you have a law/psychology graduate, who is also a sex worker taking legal action against Northern Ireland, saying it is against the human privacy laws...

So, all of this is happening where the Vatican's second in command is not in aggreeance, a service worker is fighting a law that was just instituted, and US liberal wanting republicans to follow the lead of that country while citing 60% of Americans approve of gay marriage.

Where do we draw the line? It's like we are all on our own program. It sounds confusing because it actually is...
I'm sorry, you're still not being clear though.

Ireland voted to approve gay marriage: True

Cardinal Pietro Parolin does not approve: True

Ireland criminalized prostitution: True

A sex worker is fighting it: true

People are, as you'd expect, taking sides in the US: true

What's the conflict here?

Good for Ireland for being more progressive than the US. It's not that hard to do so anymore. I don't care what anyone in the Vatican has to say, so I'll dismiss that. I think prostitution should be legal, but if and only if the individual selling their body is doing so by choice, not force. I respect the rationale behind making it illegal and support anyone who wants to take to the courts to change the laws. I don't care what a bunch of actors on MSNBC or Fox or CNN have to say about it and neither should anyone else.

Did I address what you were trying to say?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

Either way, we could learn something from Ireland.
This is my point!!!!

We are getting at each other for what? Ireland is the only part of the UK that recently criminalized paying for sex. So how do we learn from that country that up until recently legalized sex but won't in our own backyard?

It's all twisted because we are getting at each other with so many contradicting elements involved.... Why would you criticize a roman catholic, regardless of candidacy, for not changing his/her stance, especially after what the cardinal said? And have us follow the lead of a region where it is legal to have sex in parks in the UK?

What are we doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies