Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 04:19 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times

Advertisements

If the left is left to it's own devises this can be result. It takes balance from both sides. Hopefully democracy will regain its equilibrium for a better tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 04:25 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Liberals, please explain Detroits 50% unemployment rate

Simple...

GOP governor and legislature.

Next easy question, please!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:05 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh good, another "liberals bad" via cherry picked data again from this OP.....shocking. Maybe Detroit shouldn't have invested all their eggs into one industry, Seattle learned that lesson in the 70s.
Oh I see. So when Seattle has a 3% unemployment, it's because of the Democrat Party. When Detroit is a financial disaster, it's because of some random excuse.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
All leftist hellholes end up like Detroit. It's just a question of when.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:13 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Too much dependence on oil is a big factor in what happened to Detroit. The left is on the right track in many ways but not all. The stubborn right needs to acknowledge that change is good. The problem is when change happens too fast. The govt administrations have been too short-sighted obviously. Capitalism is out of control but educations are useless without it so go figure.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:37 PM

593 posts, read 667,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well that's a rather thinly veiled slander (trying to be polite)

Of course redlining, and blockbusting had nothing to do with the destruction of Detroit's tax base:

The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit (Princeton Studies in American Politics: Historical, International, and Comparative Perspectives): Thomas J. Sugrue: 9780691121864: Amazon.com: Books

Detroit's destruction began in its heyday | xpostfactoid

Ah, but Pittsburg was Detroit twenty years ago, but does Detroit have a Carnegie Mellon, or a University of Pittsburg to anchor economic diversity? I think not.

What a little reverse ethnic cleansing perhaps?
No I'm not supporting ethnic cleansing, but the fact is Detroit needs white people. I'm truly sorry to even say that but its true. Demographics doesn't mean only race though, education level is also part of it. I don't know off hand what it is but Detroit's high school graduation rate is pathetic. Couple this with poverty and boom you got the one of the deadliest cities in the nation.

I know and acknowledge there are many exceptions to these horrible generalizations but obviously there's not enough to outweigh the bad. My response might be politically incorrect but when you grow up outside detroit you get a little sick of the constant violence and disgusting behavior that stems from the city. My parents, grandparents, and great grandparents all grew up in the city and they sure as hell knew a much better detroit that I wish could make a come back. This comeback will never happen given the current population.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its the OP seeing the Seattle question, which was picked because of the $15/hr minimum wage increase, and decided to create a cherry picked counterpost. Its advanced trolling.
That is definitely impressive of him.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Oh I see. So when Seattle has a 3% unemployment, it's because of the Democrat Party. When Detroit is a financial disaster, it's because of some random excuse.
Actually both sound like nonsense, but you already knew that. That would be like saying Republicans are good with the economy in a state because the state struck oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies