Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:09 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Mostly laziness. With rare exception, most people that work at minimum wage that aren't high school students do so because it requires few skills, zero responsibility and they have zero interest in advancing their career.
There's also a lot of college graduates who work for min. wage because they're line of work isn't hiring. Do you call it laziness if someone, say, gets a bachelors in history or biology but can't pay for a masters program so they end up working a min. wage job until they can afford it? "Be weary of those who believe in a neat little world" such as yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yep, the ACA really worked out well for them.

Proving that even stupid people can earn them.
Sure, there's absolutely truth to this, you can be an idiot and earn a bachelors, or hell even a masters and you can be brilliant without ever having gone to college. I know people who earn more than I could ever imagine, but go and have a conversation with them and it's like talking to a wall. Never confuse intelligence with education, and visa versa.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
MW was never meant to be a living wage.
Really? Then why is it that the person who signed it into law said this:

Quote:
It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

Franklin D Roosevelt
Additionally, its 2015, live in the present. A lot of people depend on minimum wage despite your assertions that it wasn't "intended" to be that way. Given Roosevelt's quote above, I would argue that you are wrong. And lets be honest-Times have changed.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:31 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Because it's all they can find. Several people working at the local McDonalds have college degrees.
Degrees in what? Communications? Sociology? Art History? Black Studies? Womens Studies? Philosophy?

Yeah, that worked out well...

Old 05-28-2015, 02:47 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? Then why is it that the person who signed it into law said this:

Additionally, its 2015, live in the present. A lot of people depend on minimum wage despite your assertions that it wasn't "intended" to be that way. Given Roosevelt's quote above, I would argue that you are wrong. And lets be honest-Times have changed.
You don't see the irony in saying "times have changed" and then use a quote from 1933 to support doing the same thing today?

Minimum wage in 1933 (when FDR said that) was $0.25 / hour. In 2015 dollars that would be $4.48. Regardless of what he said, was 25 cents an hour ever a "living wage"? I doubt it was even close to the wages of decent living even in 1933 and especially since FDR didn't get his welfare programs going until 1935.

At $0.25 / hour before taxes someone would be making $10 / week, $44.33 / month, $520 / year, about 1/2 what the average laborer earned and 1/3 of the average US income.

Was (after taxes) $8 or 9 a week really enough to live on, much less raise a family on? It cost $18 / month to rent a house in 1933, so right there half of those wages would be gone on housing. So now someone would have $4/week to feed and cloth themselves. $0.10 for a can of soup, $0.11 for a pound of hamburger, $0.07 for a loaf of bread. Looks possible, for a single person with careful spending, easier with a room mate to split the bills with - much like someone making minimum wage today who would be taking in (pre tax) $1256.67/month or $290 / week, $1641.47/month in WA (not Seattle).

So how much have times really changed? It looks like minimum wage in 1933 was barely enough for a single person to live on, much like minimum wage is today - possible but not pleasant.

Did FDR really mean it to be "the wages of decent living" when it clearly wasn't?

Old 05-28-2015, 02:53 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Minimum wage workers are more likely than higher wage workers to work part-time, or have irregular hours that makes working a second job difficult.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:54 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times
So what, we should be happy living off 50 cents an hour instead?

Old 05-28-2015, 02:58 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
So what, we should be happy living off 50 cents an hour instead?
So you're a minimum wage worker looking for government to give you a raise?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 PM

854 posts, read 1,482,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
There's also a lot of college graduates who work for min. wage because they're line of work isn't hiring. Do you call it laziness if someone, say, gets a bachelors in history or biology but can't pay for a masters program so they end up working a min. wage job until they can afford it? "Be weary of those who believe in a neat little world" such as yourself.
They would probably tell them they should just suck it up and learn to love IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Really? Then why is it that the person who signed it into law said this: Additionally, its 2015, live in the present. A lot of people depend on minimum wage despite your assertions that it wasn't "intended" to be that way. Given Roosevelt's quote above, I would argue that you are wrong. And lets be honest-Times have changed.
In 1933, Roosevelt signed an executive order making gold ownership illegal, required everyone to turn in their gold coins to their nearby bank to be given a $20 federal reserve note (newly created) in return. Failure to do so could result in jail time. He then devalued this paper money by 50% and used the proceeds to fund his social welfare programs.

i.e. FDR's antics of 80+ years ago were unsustainable and have no bearing on modern times.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies