Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 12:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The other day I went to the store and had to deal with one of those minimum wage girls. My god, if the girl had to move it might have broken her. If she cracked a smile her face may have cracked. This girl was young and she is in for a rude awakening. I had to laugh and thought, and my god, she thinks she's worth $15 an hour. LOL. I'll bet she even forgot to mention to the boss that the equipment was broke. That might have taken effort to move her lips.
There are alot of other jobs besides fastfood or cashering that pay less then 11hr that honestly are worth alot more. Ever been a picker or sorter in a huge grocery chain warehouse that serves multiple states? Really hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 12:59 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
[quote=urbanlife78;39820587] I didn't realize Republicans were pushing for higher minimum wage increases....you know they fully support trade deals like the one they sided with Obama on.
Pretty sure it was Obama pushing and signing it. Just like Clinton signed NAFTA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Also, you realize when you increase the bottom wage earners, that adjusts the median, but that doesn't mean everyone got a raise because of it. It also doesn't take into account what was going on in the economy during each raise.
Well, the average income tracks with the median income, so yeah, everyone - or at least most - got a raise.

Quote:
I know you guys hate the working poor making more money and all, but this is getting really funny watching you try to deny the importance of increasing the minimum wage. At least a few states understand this importance and have a higher minimum wage than the federal government.
I'm all for the working poor making more money. What I'm against is an arbitrary number set by the federal government. There is too much diversity in cost of living for a one size fits all solution. Quite frankly, even at the state level the cost of living is too diverse for a state wide minimum wage.

I'm also irritated with you and everyone else who refuses to admit that the best way for the working poor to better their circumstances is to get off their butts and improve themselves so that they can reasonably demand a higher wage. There are too many opportunities out there for anybody who is reasonably healthy to keep themselves down by working minimum wage.
You can earn more than minimum wage with a push mower, if you go out and work for it.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Pretty sure it was Obama pushing and signing it. Just like Clinton signed NAFTA.
And a swing and a miss, nice try though. Clinton signed NAFTA, the Republicans created NAFTA and passed it in Congress. Obama is willing to sign TPP as Republicans in Congress are more than happy to pass it for him. You seemed to either ignore that part or just have no idea how presidents get bills to sign....

Quote:
Well, the average income tracks with the median income, so yeah, everyone - or at least most - got a raise.
Well minimum wage went up, and those at or close to minimum wage saw their wages increase, thus would increase the median....that is how math works, and seeing the amount minimum wage went up was typically higher than the amount the median went up, that suggests that not everyone saw their wages go up. I remember back in my first job, I was hired on at a quarter over minimum wage, then got a dollar raise a year later, but the following year minimum wage went up a dollar or so, but I didn't see any additional increases to my pay because of it. Anything above the minimum wage is between you and your employer to decide.

Quote:
I'm all for the working poor making more money. What I'm against is an arbitrary number set by the federal government. There is too much diversity in cost of living for a one size fits all solution. Quite frankly, even at the state level the cost of living is too diverse for a state wide minimum wage.

I'm also irritated with you and everyone else who refuses to admit that the best way for the working poor to better their circumstances is to get off their butts and improve themselves so that they can reasonably demand a higher wage. There are too many opportunities out there for anybody who is reasonably healthy to keep themselves down by working minimum wage.
You can earn more than minimum wage with a push mower, if you go out and work for it.
Oh I know, you are for employers being able to pay employees much less than minimum wage, after all you think it is an arbitrary number. I find this funny because what irritates me the most are people who think just because someone is making less than them, that they are somehow "lazy," which has to be one of the biggest overused myths from the right wing to continue to push their propaganda that you should like making less money and that you should look down on anyone that you think makes less than you.

Now if one can easily make more than minimum wage anywhere in this country, why do you think it is set too high? Sounds like you are saying it is too low because it is easy for people to make more than minimum wage simply by pushing a mower....gotta love the contradictions in your philosophy.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:29 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
And a swing and a miss, nice try though. Clinton signed NAFTA, the Republicans created NAFTA and passed it in Congress. Obama is willing to sign TPP as Republicans in Congress are more than happy to pass it for him. You seemed to either ignore that part or just have no idea how presidents get bills to sign....

Well minimum wage went up, and those at or close to minimum wage saw their wages increase, thus would increase the median....that is how math works, and seeing the amount minimum wage went up was typically higher than the amount the median went up, that suggests that not everyone saw their wages go up. I remember back in my first job, I was hired on at a quarter over minimum wage, then got a dollar raise a year later, but the following year minimum wage went up a dollar or so, but I didn't see any additional increases to my pay because of it. Anything above the minimum wage is between you and your employer to decide.

Oh I know, you are for employers being able to pay employees much less than minimum wage, after all you think it is an arbitrary number. I find this funny because what irritates me the most are people who think just because someone is making less than them, that they are somehow "lazy," which has to be one of the biggest overused myths from the right wing to continue to push their propaganda that you should like making less money and that you should look down on anyone that you think makes less than you.

Now if one can easily make more than minimum wage anywhere in this country, why do you think it is set too high? Sounds like you are saying it is too low because it is easy for people to make more than minimum wage simply by pushing a mower....gotta love the contradictions in your philosophy.
You are confusing median and mean.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You are confusing median and mean.
You are right, I was, sorry about that.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not ignoring Republican involvement. However, in both cases it was a Democrat president who claimed to be for the working class who signed the bill.

Quote:
Actually, once the minimum wage stabilizes you see a greater percentage increase in both the average and median wage than the increase of the minimum wage.

Quote:
Actually, I think it's fair for employers to pay a minimum wage which is commensurate to the cost of living in their local economy. I don't think it's fair for an employer in Piedmont, MO to be forced to pay the same minimum wage as an employer in St. Louis, MO when the cost of living in Piedmont is a fraction of what it is in St. Louis. Again, minimum wage should be set on a local level, not on a federal or state level. As for the laziness question, if someone is making minimum wage and doing nothing to look for a better paying job and/or improve their skills so that they can make more money then yes, they are lazy.

Quote:
No, it isn't easy to make more than minimum wage pushing a mower. You'll have to work for it, just like you'd have to work for it in any other trade. However, it is very possible to do it. Just like it is possible to do it painting houses, pressure washing driveways, detailing cars, or any of a number of other tasks. But, that's where we differ in opinion. You seem to think that making more than minimum wage should be easy, while I think that if you are satisfied making minimum wage then you should get what you deserve - the bare minimum that employers are required to pay you.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not ignoring Republican involvement. However, in both cases it was a Democrat president who claimed to be for the working class who signed the bill.
And I don't disagree...though when you just say it was a Democrat president who signed something, you make it sound like you are trying to ignore who sent the bill to them....

Quote:
Actually, once the minimum wage stabilizes you see a greater percentage increase in both the average and median wage than the increase of the minimum wage.
I would like to see this chart you are speaking about.

Quote:
Actually, I think it's fair for employers to pay a minimum wage which is commensurate to the cost of living in their local economy. I don't think it's fair for an employer in Piedmont, MO to be forced to pay the same minimum wage as an employer in St. Louis, MO when the cost of living in Piedmont is a fraction of what it is in St. Louis. Again, minimum wage should be set on a local level, not on a federal or state level. As for the laziness question, if someone is making minimum wage and doing nothing to look for a better paying job and/or improve their skills so that they can make more money then yes, they are lazy.
What is the cost of living in Piedmont, MO? And your idea of what classifies as "lazy" is inaccurate.

Quote:
No, it isn't easy to make more than minimum wage pushing a mower. You'll have to work for it, just like you'd have to work for it in any other trade. However, it is very possible to do it. Just like it is possible to do it painting houses, pressure washing driveways, detailing cars, or any of a number of other tasks. But, that's where we differ in opinion. You seem to think that making more than minimum wage should be easy, while I think that if you are satisfied making minimum wage then you should get what you deserve - the bare minimum that employers are required to pay you.
"because it is easy for people to make more than minimum wage simply by pushing a mower" Example of a contradiction....maybe you should try and stop moving the goalposts....

And now you think those making minimum should get the bare minimum, which makes me think that without a minimum wage, you would be content with employers paying people even less than the current minimum wage....obviously you would never actually admit this, but your posts say this every time.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
And I don't disagree...though when you just say it was a Democrat president who signed something, you make it sound like you are trying to ignore who sent the bill to them....

I would like to see this chart you are speaking about.

What is the cost of living in Piedmont, MO? And your idea of what classifies as "lazy" is inaccurate.

"because it is easy for people to make more than minimum wage simply by pushing a mower" Example of a contradiction....maybe you should try and stop moving the goalposts....

And now you think those making minimum should get the bare minimum, which makes me think that without a minimum wage, you would be content with employers paying people even less than the current minimum wage....obviously you would never actually admit this, but your posts say this every time.
1. They never had a veto proof bloc, so if the president had vetoed it wouldn't have happened.

2. Then take the time to research it. I looked at about 2 dozen charts and as many web pages writing that post.

3. Less than St. Louis. Much less, actually. And my idea of laziness is fairly accurate. If you're unwilling to work at something, especially something which would make your situation better, that makes you lazy.

4. Where did I say it was easy? I never did. I said one could do it, that's all.

5. If you're willing to work for nothing, I won't stop you.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
1. They never had a veto proof bloc, so if the president had vetoed it wouldn't have happened.

2. Then take the time to research it. I looked at about 2 dozen charts and as many web pages writing that post.

3. Less than St. Louis. Much less, actually. And my idea of laziness is fairly accurate. If you're unwilling to work at something, especially something which would make your situation better, that makes you lazy.

4. Where did I say it was easy? I never did. I said one could do it, that's all.

5. If you're willing to work for nothing, I won't stop you.
Yes, we are all aware that two moderate Democrat presidents sided with Republicans on trade deals, right? You can try to spin it however you want, but that is the fact.

Maybe later, have a wedding to get to so no time for research today.

Much less isn't an answer, it sounds like you don't know what the cost of living is in Piedmont.

It was the fourth word in that I quoted you where you said "because it is easy...."

Old 05-30-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yes, we are all aware that two moderate Democrat presidents sided with Republicans on trade deals, right? You can try to spin it however you want, but that is the fact.

Maybe later, have a wedding to get to so no time for research today.

Much less isn't an answer, it sounds like you don't know what the cost of living is in Piedmont.

It was the fourth word in that I quoted you where you said "because it is easy...."
Here's the quote:

Quote:
Show me where I used the word "easy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies