Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 10:10 AM

28,563 posts, read 18,566,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is something I had to think about this morning. On another thread, I found a link leading me to the murder by causes. It is well known that half of all murders in the USA are Black men murdering other Black men. There is something else to consider. A large part of those murders are related to arguments. Going back to the 1800s in the USA, the murder rate in the Deep South was quite high. Considering that Blacks were enslaved and considered property, well, I don't think Blacks would have been counted in the crime statistics. The White murder rate was much higher than elsewhere in the USA. There was that "honor culture" that existed. This idea of "you disrespected me, now you must pay". Getting "slighted" often resulted in a violent reaction. This was among the underclass segment of the White population, also known as "redneck culture". Fast forward to now, where those in the "ghetto culture" often get mad over being "dissed". Redneck culture and ghetto culture are more similar than some would want to admit.
It wasn't just the underclass segment. The Hamilton-Burr incident pretty much killed dueling in the North, but it continued vigorously among upperclass whites in the South.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It wasn't just the underclass segment. The Hamilton-Burr incident pretty much killed dueling in the North, but it continued vigorously among upperclass whites in the South.
Not exclusively an underclass segment. However, it was quite prevalent among the underclass. It goes back to the mentality of "you disrespect me, you die".

Old 05-31-2015, 01:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,329,629 times
Quote:
Not exclusively an underclass segment. However, it was quite prevalent among the underclass. It goes back to the mentality of "you disrespect me, you die".
I hear that almost daily, you disrespect me........................ how can i disrespect you, i dont know who you are, you got to earn my respect before i can dis you

Old 05-31-2015, 04:21 PM

57,022 posts, read 34,997,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I hear that almost daily, you disrespect me........................ how can i disrespect you, i dont know who you are, you got to earn my respect before i can dis you
Nonsense.

It's entirely possible to disrespect someone you don't know. Get real.

If you step on my foot without saying excuse me, bump me out of the way, or knowingly cut in front of me in a cue, that's disrespect.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,076,845 times
A redneck typically goes to church, works hard, hunts, fishes, hates the city, drives a pickup and will be cordial to strangers, though he won't trust them much. What about this is similar to living in the city, running dope, living on welfare, robbing people, forming gangs, stealing cars, and killing each other in record numbers all the while blaming whitey for his problems?

I've been described as a "redneck" many times because I hunt, fish, drive a pickup and don't care much for Cidiots. I am also educated, gainfully employed in a successful career, happily married and own my own house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you step on my foot without saying excuse me, bump me out of the way, or knowingly cut in front of me in a cue, that's disrespect.
Truly an offence worthy of death in a lot of urban neighborhoods.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,739,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
However, all of those are also present among poor whites in the South.

And the matriarchal familial formation is a matter of a history in which slavery broke up families and racism since then has specifically targeted black men--it's not a carryover from Africa.
Not sure if EdwardA addressed this comment based on his post earlier, but actually matriarchal family formation is an African tradition. African men have a history of polygamy and many West African tribes and societies were polygamous whereas the female wives had a dominant/leadership role in bringing up children. I know a few people from West Africa who come from extremely large families where they were the one of 20+ children of one man. In those situations, the mothers are the dominant caregivers and providers of the children. Women also had more of a role to play in business especially the markets in West Africa and so have a history of working "outside the family" similar to black American women as well.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:55 AM

29,382 posts, read 16,292,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
You didn't qualify your statement did you? So you weren't right were you, and you have a long history of not being right. I'm not the only conservative that agrees with Sowell by a long chalk so get off your broad brush denigration.
Actually, i qualified it with the word people. So you would be wrong even on the odd technicality you are trying to push.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:04 PM

57,022 posts, read 34,997,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
A redneck typically goes to church, works hard, hunts, fishes, hates the city, drives a pickup and will be cordial to strangers, though he won't trust them much. What about this is similar to living in the city, running dope, living on welfare, robbing people, forming gangs, stealing cars, and killing each other in record numbers all the while blaming whitey for his problems?

I've been described as a "redneck" many times because I hunt, fish, drive a pickup and don't care much for Cidiots. I am also educated, gainfully employed in a successful career, happily married and own my own house.

Truly an offence worthy of death in a lot of urban neighborhoods.
No group "typically" does any of the stuff you claim...and ESPECIALLY not rednecks.

Please.

Secondly, you'd be the last person to know what's worthy of death in an urban environment.

That said, people tend to be more polite when they know disrespect won't be tolerated. I don't live in an urban environment either, but it'd be smart to say "excuse me" if you step right on my foot and I certainly won't lay down for someone cutting in front of a cue out of their turn.

Obviously, you take pride in being walked all over. But hey...that's your business.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,760,771 times
Quote:
There is something I had to think about this morning. On another thread, I found a link leading me to the murder by causes. It is well known that half of all murders in the USA are Black men murdering other Black men. There is something else to consider. A large part of those murders are related to arguments. Going back to the 1800s in the USA, the murder rate in the Deep South was quite high. Considering that Blacks were enslaved and considered property, well, I don't think Blacks would have been counted in the crime statistics. The White murder rate was much higher than elsewhere in the USA. There was that "honor culture" that existed. This idea of "you disrespected me, now you must pay". Getting "slighted" often resulted in a violent reaction. This was among the underclass segment of the White population, also known as "redneck culture". Fast forward to now, where those in the "ghetto culture" often get mad over being "dissed". Redneck culture and ghetto culture are more similar than some would want to admit.
Yep. I would think today, it would be found in biker gangs to some extent.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:51 PM

28,563 posts, read 18,566,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not sure if EdwardA addressed this comment based on his post earlier, but actually matriarchal family formation is an African tradition. African men have a history of polygamy and many West African tribes and societies were polygamous whereas the female wives had a dominant/leadership role in bringing up children. I know a few people from West Africa who come from extremely large families where they were the one of 20+ children of one man. In those situations, the mothers are the dominant caregivers and providers of the children. Women also had more of a role to play in business especially the markets in West Africa and so have a history of working "outside the family" similar to black American women as well.
You missed my point. I did not say that matriarchal family formations do not exist in African tradition. I said that the presence of such family formations among the American families descendent from slavery is not a carryover from that African tradition.

The prevalence of female-headed families among those descended from slavery in America is the result of the slavery itself and the century of racism since. Black women today do not chose to be single mothers because of a fondly remembered tradition handed down from Africa.

You do not appear to be aware of how strongly black men and black women in America have tried to maintain husband-wife/father-mother families in America despite slavery and racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies