Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times

Advertisements

Will the GOP go 2 for 2 defending molesters this month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 09:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Statutes of limitations do not expire in cases like this, just like they did not expire in Sandusky's case, or in murder cases.
THat depends on the laws of the state where the abuse took place. Some states don't have expiration limits any more, but most still do.

That's why Cosby hasn't been charged with a crime yet. All his complain tents have time limits that expired.

In some states the limits are only 2 years.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
From what I understand he didn't skirt bank laws. You can remove 10k plus all you want to. It's just going to throw a red flag for someone to look into why it's being done. (which is a horrid practice)
No. What alerted DHS was Hastert was withdrawing $50,000 at a time. Anything above $10,000 catches Homeland Security's attention now. As soon as Hastert realized this, he dropped down to $10,000, but that was only recently.
A further check of his bank records revealed he had been withdrawing $50,000 or more for years. From accounts that should have never been used for the purpose. That's why he's in trouble with the law, not the abuse.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:58 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
How did someone like Hastert rise to be Speaker of the House in the first place? Did some insiders know about his scandalous behavior? Maybe they promoted him because they knew he would do whatever he was asked to do to protect his secrets?

Old 05-30-2015, 02:12 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
This whole story has gotten more attention than it deserves. Hastert (Scumbag A) got caught up in illegal banking irregularities and lied about it. The bank withdrawls and lies happened after he left elected office and the alleged incident(s) happened years before he entered politics. He is stupid to get himself into this situation - both now and in the distant past. He should have known about the $10,000 withdrawl limit too. Are we surprised that another dumbass politician got caught doing something stupid and illegal....I think not. They seem to have a weakness for flesh and cash.

Hastert never impressed me as being very bright which is probably why he was Speaker for so long. I think that the question remains as to how he acquired the money to make the payoffs. That could broaden the scope of the whole fiasco.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Ohhh But they did..This abuse dates back way before he even entered politics..which means like 30+ years ago..during his time as a teacher and Coach..Back in his hometown..BEFORE Political Career....He was first elected to the House back in 1986 election...and stayed there until became Speaker of the house after Gingrich resigned and (EDIT) Livingston had to resign ( both due to scandals) then Dennis Hastert got brought in to smooth over things...Little did they know that he too had skeleton's in his closet as well !!

This link speaks to such crimes in Illinois ( State crime alleged to have occurred)

Illinois Coalition Against Sexual Assault: English: Legal Issues: Statutes of Limitations

Since when does Sexual molestation crimes NOT expire?? Sandusky Case was far closer in timeframe..within those Statutes for many of them..NOT all by any means..But enough to catch him a boatload of prison time!!

ETA~~ IF Dennis did this back in his younger self...I rather doubt it was a ONE OFF!! More Skeleton's just may fall out that closet kept locked for 30+ years..
Thanks for the link. I thought sex crimes involving kids never expire.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
First Josh Duggar, now Denny Hastert. Been a rough couple weeks for the "moral majority"….
Don't forget Larry "the tapper" Greig .

Old 05-30-2015, 05:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No. What alerted DHS was Hastert was withdrawing $50,000 at a time. Anything above $10,000 catches Homeland Security's attention now. As soon as Hastert realized this, he dropped down to $10,000, but that was only recently.
A further check of his bank records revealed he had been withdrawing $50,000 or more for years. From accounts that should have never been used for the purpose. That's why he's in trouble with the law, not the abuse.
Which isn't illegal or skirting laws. The reason it shouldn't be used for that purpose has nothing to do with bank laws.

And before anyone starts, that isn't a defense of him, I just think info should be as factual as possible. You can take as much as you want whenever you want out of your accounts. What you do with it is the problem.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Seriously, what is it with Illinois? And its not a GOP or Dem specific thing, they just seem to do bad things over and over. Is it something in the water?
or it is something in their early childhood, even if they were not born in Ill. It rubs off I guess. I certainly wouldn't be proud to be living in Ill right now. And if I lived there and wanted to be a politician, I think I would move to another state, wait a few years and then dive into the water.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:07 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
How did someone like Hastert rise to be Speaker of the House in the first place? Did some insiders know about his scandalous behavior? Maybe they promoted him because they knew he would do whatever he was asked to do to protect his secrets?
Basically, when the Republican cabal tossed Newt, they were looking for a lower key Speaker....one who would stand up to the Democrats, but NOT get in Tom DeLay's way. DeLay was too nuclear to get the Speaker's chair, but he could still run the House Republicans from the Whip's chair; a chair he had a stranglehold on.

While I'd never call Hastert a flunky, he wasn't much more than a loyal errand boy. Before his rise to the Speaker's chair, no one outside of his district had ever heard of him....even in Illinois. I can still remember the news shows introducing him with some bemusement.

Of course, he made a few power moves of his own that brought his propensity to be corrupt to the forefront, like when he worked pretty tirelessly to get a major highway built through some commercial property he owned.

One day they'll completely uncover the bones buried under DeLay's and Hastert's tenure in the House. They were a piece of work to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies