Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Do you honestly think a yogurt/strawberry/graham cracker sandwich promoted by the First Lady is going to make one iota's difference for the waste line of children in America?
Maybe they are easier to digest?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
It is moments like these when I have to really wonder if Michelle Obama is proud to be an American.
YEAH! You are only proud to be American if you slather your eggs in cheese and deep fry twinkies!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
truth be told, noone really eats smores

this thread is really about regular people vs. food nazis

people that eat lettuce sandwiches and tofu chips think michelle obama is a health guru whos doing "amazing work"

the other people arent fans of her "amazing work" and her latest yogurt cracker sandwich promotion is just more annoyance
Yea...pretty much.^^^^…S'mores are a rare treat, reserved for occasions where we have an open fire going. Making S'mores, roasting weenies and just toasting marshmallows is a tradition. Mainly for the kids. If we are camping, all the cooking gets done on the fire. Even when we had a camp trailer, (we call it the Tin Tee Pee) we still cooked on the fire.

The food that comes off a campfire can put a food nazi into apoplexy. Lol. However, that's not to say we eat like that every day. But when activity levels are way up, such as when camping/hunting/fishing, bring on the hearty chow. Tommy Tofu and LA Granola can starve if they want, . Walk away hungry from our fire, that's not our fault.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:32 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yea...pretty much.^^^^…S'mores are a rare treat, reserved for occasions where we have an open fire going. Making S'mores, roasting weenies and just toasting marshmallows is a tradition. Mainly for the kids. If we are camping, all the cooking gets done on the fire. Even when we had a camp trailer, (we call it the Tin Tee Pee) we still cooked on the fire.

The food that comes off a campfire can put a food nazi into apoplexy. Lol. However, that's not to say we eat like that every day. But when activity levels are way up, such as when camping/hunting/fishing, bring on the hearty chow. Tommy Tofu and LA Granola can starve if they want, . Walk away hungry from our fire, that's not our fault.
We cook over the open fire too. I don't get the stove thing. I do bring my cast iron pan for bacon and eggs in the morning. Then you can fry buns In the bacon grease and have the most heavenly bacon and egg sandwich ever known to man. There's something about that and the open air. Mmmm mmm.

Shoot now I want that.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
  1. Don't have to suggest it. That is what was done.
  2. I don't watch Fox news or any cable news. Waste of time. I suggest you do the same since you apparently admit that you are fighting a low brow war started by cable "news".
  3. The nonsense is promoting an impractical snack on the USDA site, as something "healthy". Especially when they also post an article for the real thing.
  4. Pots calling kettle's "Black". LOL! That might create more false outrage for those you wish to promote. In regards to chocolate, Dear Heart it's a man made food. The dog only knows that it tastes good. I'm guessing that you have never heard of Pavlov's experiment based on this.
I'll ask you the question that keeps getting ignored. Do you honestly think a yogurt/strawberry/graham cracker sandwich promoted by the First Lady is going to make one iota's difference for the waste line of children in America?
I repeat, you are really funny suggesting that Pavlov's experiment could be done using chocolate to train a dog to react to a bell ringing. It's toxic. It kills dogs. He'd only eat it once and the 'experiment' would be over.

And to answer your question, No, one strawberry S'More is not going to make a difference in the waist lines of children. HOWEVER, constantly reminding children to be mindful of healthier food choice CAN and already has made a difference. Childhood obesity and diabetes needed to be addressed in this country and Mrs. Obama choose to do that. If it doesn't apply to your and your skinny-mini family, then don't tune in when she talks about it. No need to call her a food Nazi or any of the other nasty names people like you like to use.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:12 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Lol, oh the outrage over a s'more. This will cause loss of sleep, high blood pressures, tears of frustration & hate. A s'more folks, a s'more.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:36 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
truth be told, noone really eats smores

this thread is really about regular people vs. food nazis

people that eat lettuce sandwiches and tofu chips think michelle obama is a health guru whos doing "amazing work"

the other people arent fans of her "amazing work" and her latest yogurt cracker sandwich promotion is just more annoyance
Truth be told, the true food nazis are those who demand a recipe be followed rigidly and to the letter of the camping law or it isn't real 'Amurrican' food.

The other regular people are most likely liberals who are much more flexible and willing to try something new or different.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Wow, almost 20 pages of outrage over a recipe? You would think people were arguing over what part of the country makes the best barbecue.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:02 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Come on now, nothing should come between camping and your S'mores no one period. Some families only go camping once or twice a year. I understand where Michelle is coming from, from the health aspect. But sometimes she can go overboard.

I am fit flat abs, work out, eat right, drink my water, but know that moderation is the key. Some people only have S'mores for gosh sakes once or twice a year, and it will not hurt you. In fact Dark Chocolate in moderation is actually good for you. I think when a family goes camping as we did when younger, and when our kids were growing up into teenagers, you experience the whole camping trip with your family. And nature.

S'mores trust me, ain't going to hurt no one, because I do not know many people who eat them, except when they go camping. And there comes a time, when families ought to decide what is best for their own family. Having S'mores while camping is part of a camping tradition, don't change it.

Sometimes some people can go overboard, it is one thing, and turns into something else, then another thing, when does it stop.

I love strawberry's and eat them and yes appreciate O.C. Strawberry's. But yougart and strawberry's s'mores, just does not appeal to me, and I am a healthy eater. I say try it if you must, but leave my S'mores alone.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
The fact of the matter is that Michelle Obama is entirely correct. We should not be feeding our kids garbage such as "s'mores.' You are what you eat.

Decades ago when I lived on the South Side of Chicago I had a very close female friend who was deep into the benefits of healthy nutrition, and in particular a nutrition sage from that time named Jethro Kloss.
Jethro Kloss and Back to Eden

Michelle reminds me so much of my friend that I almost feel like I know her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies