Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 06:12 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
We should be outraged at all corporate subsidies.

This should be completely nonpartisan across-the-board outrage.

We debate taxes here all the time while many major corporations get free passes or straight-up subsidies.

Pointing out TSLA as a beneficiary is a start -- hardly much compared to ALL the others (not just oil & gas).
If you read through the thread you will see where some of have agreed that the problem is far bigger than this one example.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Electric vehicles have been around for a LONG time:

History of the electric vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The invention of the first model electric vehicle is attributed to various people.[1] In 1828, Ányos Jedlik, a Hungarian who invented an early type of electric motor, created a small model car powered by his new motor. In 1834, Vermont blacksmith Thomas Davenport built a similar contraption which operated on a short circular electrified track.[2]

Musk's ultra-expensive Yuppy-electric does not impress me. I mean sure, neato.....but not practical for most people.

Make a practical and affordable electric, that has a capability to receive a SIGNIFICANT
solar-charge from the sun........that would impress me. Tesla to me is Yuppy-fluff and a pit for some Fed gravy.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
First death by auto was because of an electric car in the 1890s.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
The ends justify the means when it comes to getting his products, eh? Even though the guy engages in the same shenanigans as the other corporate welfare companies liberals and progressives complain about? Just cus Musk is less of corporate welfare queen doesn't make it any better.
It's not even in the same ballpark, this is whole other level of government involvement. For example the annual tax breaks given to oil is equal to Exxon's revenue in a few days, it comes out to fractions of a penny per gallon and if those tax breaks were removed it wouldn't even be a blip on the market.

Quote:
Since 2006, SolarCity has installed systems for 217,595 customers, according to a corporate filing. If each paid the current average price for a residential system — about $23,000, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists — the cost to the government would total about $1.5 billion, which would include the Treasury grants paid to SolarCity
That 1.5 billion is going to be pretty close to Soalrcity's total revenue since 2006, it's that much.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's not even in the same ballpark, this is whole other level of government involvement. For example the annual tax breaks given to oil is equal to Exxon's revenue in a few days, it comes out to fractions of a penny per gallon and if those tax breaks were removed it wouldn't even be a blip on the market.

That 1.5 billion is going to be pretty close to Soalrcity's total revenue since 2006, it's that much.
Comparing a long established technology and business to a new emerging one....and then not understanding why one might get higher tax breaks?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:22 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Actually, I, and I think most others, don't care whether Musk makes money or not. We want the goods and services he is producing. It's not Musk, it's Tesla. Get it?
I'm not sure Elon Musk even cares about money. I remember an interview where his mother said that Elon was not motivated by money, but by ideas. And if it was that easy to take subsidies and make millions, why are there only a few who have done it?

Elon Musk is no corporate welfare queen - MarketWatch

Elon Musk Strikes Back: LA Times article attacking Tesla and SolarCity 'fundamentally incorrect' : TreeHugger

Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I'm not sure Elon Musk even cares about money. I remember an interview where his mother said that Elon was not motivated by money, but by ideas. And if it was that easy to take subsidies and make millions, why are there only a few who have done it?

Elon Musk is no corporate welfare queen - MarketWatch

Elon Musk Strikes Back: LA Times article attacking Tesla and SolarCity 'fundamentally incorrect' : TreeHugger
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Heck, as long as he isn't motivated by money we might as well cut any federal funding of the company and all federal welfare for buyers of EVs.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:34 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Heck, as long as he isn't motivated by money we might as well cut any federal funding of the company and all federal welfare for buyers of EVs.
The point of this federal spending isn't to make Elon Rich, its to encourage new tech.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The point of this federal spending isn't to make Elon Rich, its to encourage new tech.
Do you think new tech should come from the desires of politicians or consumers?

Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
We should be outraged at all corporate subsidies.

This should be completely nonpartisan across-the-board outrage.

We debate taxes here all the time while many major corporations get free passes or straight-up subsidies.

Pointing out TSLA as a beneficiary is a start -- hardly much compared to ALL the others (not just oil & gas).
Every developed country does it. We couldn't compete without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies