Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:51 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Some folks apparently think this way.

There has never been a better time to be alive than in 2015. This to me is flat out inarguable.
Rich white guys have had it good basically forever. Otherwise, yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:51 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
people have always been selfish and me first

we finally have social media to prove it.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:57 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
First, violence was much lower in the 1950's than it is today.

https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-...crime_fig1.jpg

Secondly, racism is hardly gone(note what is going on in Baltimore, Ferguson, etc).
Ferguson? LOL... that wasn't even as bad as St. Louis or LA riots or Watts riots.

IMO people are getting soft and anything they see on the news is "OMG, this is the worst thing ever" when in reality its tame in comparison to the past.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Now THIS sounds like an old person! Not the OP.

Some old peoples (especially some old white people) rants always seem to speak of how us blacks in particular were better off being heavily discriminated against and being victims of domestic terrorism because having "in tact" families to them is the reason why (and I'm being saracstic here) all us blacks have a lot of horrible ills in the inner city. They ignore that we are better off now than we were then both economically and educationally and that the majority of us don't even live in the inner city. To them, that's not as important as having higher marriage rates even though just like now, back then out of wedlock births for blacks were 2 times more than whites. But the TV news feeds them stories about African Americans and because they come from an era when news was respectable they don't question the information they are fed or listen to the truth and reality about black people especially today. Plus in their era, blacks were also viewed as lazy and poor and uneducated, and unfortunately for many of them, those views and ideas are still in their minds from their childhoods.

These old people sit around and watch TV news and listen to radio news programs that feed them ideas and a false view of history that they believe and try to lecture us about and rant about the demise of society. It is pretty funny to me. They want to be able to be racist and homophobic and have the majority of society agree with them and their views instead of having those views pointed out for what they are - discriminatory and prejudicial. They think when others respond to their racist and homophobic views that their free speech is being trampled upon, even though they have every right to say what they want just like their detractors can respond how they want and they aren't jailed for speaking what they say.

Some old people don't like diversity. They like segregation. They don't see that diversity and "unity and a peaceful existence" are the same thing. They politicize every freaking thing imaginable! They pretend that the history they were taught it the "right" history, other people's struggles an experiences, even right here in our country is not important to them. They feel that speaking of the latter is just an attempt to make them feel guilty. In that way, some old people are VERY self centered and exhibit narcissism. They feel everything going on today is a threat to them or is something to make them less appreciated.

They think that Howard Zinn runs the educational system and that all public schools in every place around the country are the same and have the same teaching methods taught by only liberal teachers.

I personally think these old people are cute.

Some things are different today but being more diverse and less homophobic is nothing negative. The ignorance thought that I spoke of in my previous post is the most concerning to me but I did not mention what I already know, that most of the ignorant people today have ignorant parents (like the old people described above) and so that is not new either. Nor is corruption in government or any other things that have been mentioned.

The only things that are truly different is technology, which was mentioned and the lack of person to person socialization from preschool aged through adulthood today.
EVERYthing you said about some "old people" in this post can also be said about some "young people." However, I don't think they're cute - I think they're ignorant, and there lies the problems with so many people who tend to rant, be they young or old.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:47 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin

So, for those of you who feel that modern western culture isn't devolving into a piece of crap, perhaps you care to give some actual arguments instead of just calling me old?
The only ones who dont ARE ASLEEP AND IN COMPLETE CONTROL! (Sheeple)

We all who are awake KNOW THE TRUTH!!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Rich white guys have had it good basically forever. Otherwise, yeah.
Well, I ain't rich and about as far from white as a person can get.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:15 PM

11 posts, read 9,084 times
Let's put it this way. When women are now having bastard children like never before and want to emulate the disgusting Kardashan sisters that is all we need to know about where society is and where it is headed. The family home is no more and when you don't have stable families good luck with the outcome.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Old bigot white racist xenophobic misogynist fairy tale believers.

All relics of the past and fading away.

No longer any place for "God bless the new America."

Hail the New America.
Damn straight! Thank goodness that the generation of segregationists is now old and decrepit.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Without a doubt society has turned into me, me and me.
I blame it on selfies.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I take the view that western society has regressed and become worse than in the past, and that people have become more selfish than they use to be.

Whenever I say this, it's a rule of thumb that somebody shows up and says "your just old and are saying the same thing people said in this past. This is nothing new".

But I don't ever hear any actual arguments for this view, just generic claims that I am old and that people use to say this in the past. There is, however, plenty of actual research showing real negative trends:
Research says young people today are more narcissistic than ever - All In The Mind - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
The Narcissistic Personality Inventory consists of 40 items. On each item the respondent chooses whether they agree with one statement or another: one of those statements is narcissistic and the other is not. So, for example, 'If I ruled the world it would be a better place' is the narcissistic statement, and then the non-narcissistic one is, 'Ruling the world scares the hell out of me'.

Professor Twenge and Campbell analysed data from 15,000 American college students who responded to the Narcissistic Personality Inventory before 2006. They found that there was a relationship between the birth year of the people filling out the scale and their narcissism score, and those narcissism scores were significantly higher in the 2000s than they were in the 1980s and 1990s.

To make sure that the results weren’t due to other factors, they used subjects who were all about the same age, ethnicity and gender over that time period."

In the area of vanity, for example, they observe that plastic surgery rates in the US have gone through the roof since the late 1990s. Even invasive procedures such as breast augmentation or liposuction have increased two or three times over this time period."

But it's all merely in my head cus I'm old right?

The funny thing is, I am not even that old. I recently turned 24 years old. That isn't very old, is it? Even as a young man I can tell that people are considerably worse now even compared to just 10 or so years ago. By far one of the biggest blights of modern society is social media and how people don't even seem to care for talking to each other face to face anymore because it's "too time consuming".

So, for those of you who feel that modern western culture isn't devolving into a piece of crap, perhaps you care to give some actual arguments instead of just calling me old?
It is possible you are right and you are also wrong. Society may be devolving and regressing, but this is cyclical. There have been times in the past that people are altruistic, creative and productive, i.e. the Renaissance, and also times when society has been a waste of space, i.e., the Dark Ages.

These eras are extremes, but there have been lots of cycles to a lesser degree as well. The Roaring 20s to Prohibition.

So it may not necessarily be that society will self-destruct. Things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies