Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 10:36 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't understand the difference? You are hung up over a word?
Apparently there is a difference or marriage would not need to be redefined. "Legally" equalize civil union rights to marriage rights and problem is solved. It is really a simple solution to a problem people wish to make complicated.

EDIT or is there a different problem I'm not seeing at face value?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 06-02-2015 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: adding EDIT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Then make it exist. Laws can change. Equalize legally civil unions to that of a marriage. That also takes away the idea that it is a second class legal status. No redefinition of marriage required.
So rather than open the already existing legal structure to more citizens, kind of like how the term voter was opened to blacks and women, we should create a whole new legal structure, change all documents that mention marital status,and change all laws that mention marital status? That is tens of thousands of laws on the books that will need to be changed just because of the use of a word that no one has ownership of.
Even IF this were to happen, same sex couples would still call it marriage, and there would be nothing anyone could do about it. So socially it would still be called marriage, and the only difference would be on a piece of parer that no one really sees anyways, PLUS it would cost millions of dollars to change all of those laws.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Apparently there is a difference or marriage would not need to be redefined. "Legally" equalize civil union rights to marriage rights and problem is solved. It is really a simple solution to a problem people wish to make complicated.
Even simpler solution. Allow same sex couple access to the already existing legal structure called marriage. Which will be happening in a couple of weeks anyways.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:39 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Wow. Though I didn't share my Grandparents world view, I didn't deliberately try and provoke them. Little thing called "respect". Maybe you've heard of it? My Grandparents loved me and I loved them back. My parents didn't share all the views and opinions of their parents either, but flying colors in their face never entered my folks minds, either. A d yon thought shocking and angering yon Grandparents was "fun "?

Perhaps this fits the mold of fbe breakdown of family that is being talked about? That seems an unfair and quite vi fictive way to treat your Grandparents. Their game on things may have differed , radically, from yours, but that is the world they lived in, all their lives. If yon tell me I should like the smell of shyte, throwing a bucket of it in my face sure isn't going to convince me you're on the right track. , Ahh, but the ..exuberance..of youth, does often lead us to think such .methodology is the best bet to get the point across.

Idk, maybe yon actually despised your Grandparents, maybe your parents , as well. I have a good family, so maybe I'm just lucky. Neither my Sister, or I, share the take on things my parents and Grandparents do/did. But we never let that divide us, as a family. Hate to tell you this, but, you made a point for the opposition. Could be a three pointer. Breakdown of family, in this manner, is a big talking point on one side of the fence here.

Even though I already know where I come down on the issue at hand here, I'm meaning toward thinking breakdown of family IS a valid concern, that bears further looking at as to a possible correlation.
I have a great family and love my grandparents. But that doesn't mean I can't call them on their B.S...that's just not how my family works. We operate on total honesty...if we disagree with a member of our family, we let them know. My grandparents have had to move their positions over the years...I married outside of my race. My cousin is a lesbian in an SSM. My brother had a child out of wedlock. The world didn't end...we all are successful people who contribute to society...

I don't buy into the whole "deference to older generations" or family thing. If you have a belief, put it out there and don't worry about what other people (including your grandparents) think.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:

EDIT or is there a different problem I'm not seeing at face value?
I'm missing the entire problem. Seems to me, and please clarify if I'm wrong. You seem to be stuck on a word. No matter the official designation, when two people come together they are going to celebrate being married.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:41 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
Homosexual marriage is absolutely nothing more than a desire to get money and benefits from states and the federal government. It has nothing to do with love, reproducing, values, etc.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:41 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Even simpler solution. Allow same sex couple access to the already existing legal structure called marriage. Which will be happening in a couple of weeks anyways.
Right because this is really about forcing religious people to accept an immoral lifestyle as a natural part of society.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:42 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Some people still think their religious morality should be enshrined in law by a secular government."

That`s rich!

So if you don`t like the morality of the majority, you just call it someone`s religion, proclaim the government secular and effectively invalidate the will of the people?
The morality of the majority (60%) *is* that SSM should be legal.

It is my impression that most (not all) people who oppose SSM do so for religious reasons. Or else, there are an awful lot of people quoting the bible who, if they were honest, wouldn't be.

The US government *is* secular. The founders designed it that way, and I think they were right. But then I'm a big fan of the Enlightenment.

Quote:
[i]Statists want to enshrine homosexual unions in marital legalese that was never intended for anything but committed sexual unions between one man and one woman and then whine about being excluded.

They were never included when the laws were made, so how can they be excluded now?

If you want to be included, rewrite the laws so that they reflect the will of the people as it specifically relates to same-sex marriage.
That's exactly what's happening. For about the last 20 years, laws have been rewritten to ensure that gay people are not being discriminated against. AFAIK, SSM is the last big issue.

Quote:
Does anyone need a religious text to explain that another man`s hairy ******* isn`t a vagina and ought not be used in place of one?

A little common sense would be in order.

It`s a poop chute.

What homosexuals do to each other is not sex and it has nothing to do with nature`s design.
On any given day, there are most likely more straight people having anal sex than gay people - it's simple statistics. (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr036.pdf)

If you don't want to call it sex, you certainly don't have to.

Nature has no design.

Quote:
FTR, all civil rights have been decided by a vote at some point in time.
What usually happens - society goes along as it always has, until some group of people wipes the sleep from their eyes, says "hey! I'm tired of being a third class citizen, I pay taxes too!", and starts a movement which successfully convinces a growing number of their fellow citizens that they have a point. New laws are voted in some places, but not others. The issue goes to SCOTUS, which, after several tries, acknowledges that yes, they do have a point.

Gay people have navigated this course, as have non-rich men, women, and blacks before them.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Right because this is really about forcing religious people to accept an immoral lifestyle as a natural part of society.
No one care about anyone accepting anything. You and your church have nothing to do with LEGAL CIVIL MARRIAGE laws.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:44 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The death penalty is legal in many places but I still do not consider it a legitimate practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies