Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 11:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I used to think less government was the answer, because our government is so corrupt. But Idealistically the best option would be a completely uncorrupt government (I know, haha) by the people for the people, and more of it. Free health care, affordable housing, paid parental leave, more pay for less hours. People should enjoy their lives, most people just wait around to die now.
Well how do you fund this Utopia ? SNAP and TANF and medicaid ?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,046,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you want to be able to afford such things, turn your life over to me and I can make it happen.

I'll put you on a very strict budget and you'll afford housing, food and healthcare without having to work more than 40 hours a week.

Of course, depending upon your income, you may have a roommate or two and I may have you using exclusively public transportation. You may also be very limited on your cellular options and entertainment, but I can make it work for you.
Turn MY life over to someone with the last name Martinez? Lol.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:22 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This reads to me like it is coming from someone very bitter, not one trying to reason with common sense.

There is a mouthy minority that will argue that men/women are exactly the same but there are also a mouthy minority that will argue all sorts of theories. It's pretty sad though for one to side with something like paying women less for the same work just because they go through childbirth and need some time to recuperate.

To what extent that should be can be discussed and this article isn't about paternity leave for mothers at that.

I'm kind of fond of women and don't begrudge them the time off myself.

It's not bitter at all, It's common sense. People cannot have things both ways. Where do you think the wage gap comes from? Part of it is women taking time off for kids. Who says i'm not fond of women just because I call it like I see it. You either get to be equal or special, pick one.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Spoken like someone who truly despises women.
Why because I am promoting equality? Get a grip. Read the above response.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
You realize it benefits the entire family, the husband included. So unless you plan on staying single and never having kids, what you just said is incredibly moronic. Listen, women are in the work force, we're there, I don't like it either, men get paid much less because of this. But now that it's a thing, every woman has to work, and if that's the case we need to implement a paid maternity leave system, because not having it is tearing the family fabric apart.
I understand why it exists and I actually realize it has benefits. My post is to make a point, you cannot DEMAND equality but then at the same time DEMAND special treatment. Is that so hard to comprehend? Why should a man work 12 months and make 50k and a woman works 6 months but also makes 50k. That looks like a wage inequality to me. Someone is doing double the work for the same pay. Sounds like some serious misandry to me.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I think we need 2 Americas, though even that wouldn't fix everything, my beliefs are all over the board.

Everyone who wants to provide for themselves can live in the desirable states and the people who want a free ride can live in the least desirable states. sound good?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:53 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
It's not bitter at all, It's common sense. People cannot have things both ways.
There is no conflict here. What your argument boils down to is men shouldn't be able to take sick leave if they get testicular cancer because women dont.

Quote:
Where do you think the wage gap comes from? Part of it is women taking time off for kids. Who says i'm not fond of women just because I call it like I see it. You either get to be equal or special, pick one.
You've been suckered into the extremists argument. Yes the argument that goes if a woman made $50,000 last year and a man made $70,000 doing the same job its because she was paid unfairly is a bogus argument without taking into consideration the hours worked.

I'm not willing to deny women something because a small minority of people have no problem being dishonest.

My wife (and me also), simply want to see that she gets the same rate for the same pay. We both know that if she takes more time off or works less overtime (my wife doesn't get OT she is on salary) that she isn't going to make ad much at the end of the year and IMO the majority take that position.

I have seen a few (again the minority) that have seemed to think she should get paid less because she is a female and surprisingly they all haven't been males but again, a minority.

My wife saved up her sick days (days everyone gets where she works) and was able to take about 4 1/2 months off.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
We have a society where profit is more important than people. The problem is created by our wasting our wealth trying to protect the world's investors from their own mistakes and the lack of countervailing tariffs to protect domestic investors from competition with foreign slave labor and government owned businesses. We could have the Swedish standard of living if we were willing to stop favoring big business over everything else.

Unfortunately for most of us the people that own and control our political system are not about to let that happen unless forced.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We have a society where profit is more important than people.
I don't understand statements like this. Without a profit there is no way to take care of anyone to start with.

Quote:
The problem is created by our wasting our wealth trying to protect the world's investors from their own mistakes and the lack of countervailing tariffs to protect domestic investors from competition with foreign slave labor and government owned businesses. We could have the Swedish standard of living if we were willing to stop favoring big business over everything else.
That is a different argument. A business does have to consider its bottom line first. No profit = no business. The government wasn't put in place though to guarantee a business a profit. I'll assume in your first statement that you were just trying to be short in your reply and not offer a full thought.

Quote:
Unfortunately for most of us the people that own and control our political system are not about to let that happen unless forced.

Who is going to force them? Seems to me that the majority that vote argue they will vote for their chosen party no matter how much that party craps on them.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,046,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Everyone who wants to provide for themselves can live in the desirable states and the people who want a free ride can live in the least desirable states. sound good?
How bout extreme right gets west of the rocky mountains, all the sane people get east of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.