Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM

82 posts, read 272,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Cultures have a lot to do with social issues. Some cultures aren't very big on womens rights, that is a social issue. Plus cultures evolve constantly in regards to social issues. The culture in the US has evolved on social issues since the beginning. Slavery, voting rights, segregation, interracial marriage, now same sex marriage.

The question is should schools be standing on the side of gay marriage, or oppose it. It should take neither positon, it has no place in school. Leftists want schools to openly endorse the homosexual agenda, and to denounce anyone who disagrees. I couldn't care less if gays marry, I oppose them trying to brainwash kids

Old 06-02-2015, 11:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Cultures have a lot to do with social issues. Some cultures aren't very big on womens rights, that is a social issue. Plus cultures evolve constantly in regards to social issues. The culture in the US has evolved on social issues since the beginning. Slavery, voting rights, segregation, interracial marriage, now same sex marriage.
That is not culture and that is not what is taught in Social Studies classes.

You are trying to weave social issues into this.

Slavery is part of history class, not social studies class.

All the items you listed are social issues in society.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Animals can't consent and promoting that is the equivalent of promoting animal rape.
What a load of ****!

Did any animal consent to be killed? No? So that's animal murder then? So animal murder is OK but rape is not?

Old 06-02-2015, 11:47 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Are we going to start promoting furries, swingers and BDSM now?
I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Then how do you teach cultures?
Cultures should be electives in last couple of years of High School. Cultures should NEVER include the sex issues. That, again, is for parents/outside of school.

Up through the 12th grade should be very "pristine" and never address "social" issues. The colleges and universities should continue address to the issues higher learning of the basics, languages, math, engineering, architecture, business, but leave ALL teacher/professor-personally oriented input OUT OF THE CLASS ROOMS; i.e., no brain washing. If it were up to me I would absolutely eliminate these dam*ed classes called "political science." From what I have seen those do nothing but brain wash students into learning how to lie and/or mislead including dumbing-down their ability to understand how the world works. Unbelievable! That's the kind of junk that should never be addressed in academics at any level. Teach students to learn how to take their responsibility for themselves (meaning learning the basics), their responsibility to support our Constitution (meaning how government must work and their responsibility to, when reaching the voting age, to actually study and learn details BEFORE they vote) and the huge responsibility of every single citizen to keep America free.

Last edited by lorrysda; 06-02-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
The question is should schools be standing on the side of gay marriage, or oppose it. It should take neither positon, it has no place in school. Leftists want schools to openly endorse the homosexual agenda, and to denounce anyone who disagrees. I couldn't care less if gays marry, I oppose them trying to brainwash kids
They do not have to hold any position to teach facts. Fact is that homosexuals exist. Fact is that homosexuals are fighting for civil rights.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:52 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snallygaster View Post
A local teacher at a parochial school was fired because she wrote online that she did not support gay marriage as it went against her faith. The radical gay advocates will go after teachers who do not promote homosexuality, and wreck their careers.
My daughter is in the Sacred Hearts Catholic school system. They will not promote homosexualism or anything of a deviant behaviour. Which is what I want.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is not culture and that is not what is taught in Social Studies classes.

You are trying to weave social issues into this.

Slavery is part of history class, not social studies class.

All the items you listed are social issues in society.
Social studies is the study of society and human behavior. History classes are part of social studies.
Quote:
Social studies is defined by the National Council for Social Studies as “the integrated study of the social sciences and humanities to promote civic competence.” General social studies establishes a foundation for all of the subsequent, more specific classes that students will take in history, civics and the like. Typically, students take general social studies in elementary school, then move to more specific areas of study in middle school, and even more in-depth subjects in high school and college.

In elementary school, students take social studies every year, beginning with the most basic elements of geography and history, and gradually progressing to more specific and detailed subjects as years go on. In middle school, students take a specific social studies class each year, usually revolving around world history and U.S. history, and in high school, classes are more dedicated to completing a thorough study of a particular subject, like modern American history.
History Teacher | Social Studies Teacher | Teach.com

Geography, history, government, and current events all fall under social studies.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
How do you teach history without discussing political topics,gender or sex? Most of history is about politics including politics of sex and gender.
How do you teach art or music without discussing politics, gender or sex? Many works of art and music is about the political climate of the day. Many works of are and music are about sex, or gender.
How do you teach health without discussing sex? Biology, reproduction, viruses, bacteria all have to do with sex in some way.
History and art have nothing to do with gender unless you're attempting to promote a twisted gender-based agenda. Health should stick to the mechanics of male and female.

If your views are followed, our children would soon be learning that half of the founding fathers felt "female" inside and were really founding mothers. And that a few of them were Muslims as well.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:55 AM

82 posts, read 272,842 times
Quote:
They do not have to hold any position to teach facts. Fact is that homosexuals exist. Fact is that homosexuals are fighting for civil rights.

Do you think that battle should be brought into the classroom? A fight for Civil Rights? hardly! Gays have rights, they can marry in multiple states- what they want is for everyone to support their lifestyle, and to punish those who don't agree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies