Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times

Advertisements

"Some [domestic employees] were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

"Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us...ements.html?hp

Does America have enough IT workers to fill these shortages?

Last edited by mm4; 06-03-2015 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
"Some [domestic employees] were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.

"Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us...ements.html?hp

Does American have enough IT workers to fill these shortages?
What shortage? These people were being replaced by H1-B's.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
What shortage? These people were being replaced by H1-B's.
Do you know what the reason for issuing H-1B visas is?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Do you know what the reason for issuing H-1B visas is?
I work as a software engineer. About half of my coworkers are H1-B's. I know what they are far better then you do most likely.

Here let me qoute something that makes these actions by Disney even worse:
Quote:
The employer must, prior to filing the H-1B petition, take good-faith steps to recruit U.S. workers for the position for which the H-1B worker is sought, offering a wage at least as high as what the law requires for the H-1B worker.
The fact is....Disney already HAD the worker that was doing the job.

The H1-B program is horrifically abused, and it lowers American wages, and reduces the number of Americans entering the STEM field. It is the high tech version of illegal immigration (which I also oppose)

Old 06-03-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I work as a software engineer. About half of my coworkers are H1-B's. I know what they are far better then you do most likely.

The H1-B program is horrifically abused, and it lowers American wages, and reduces the number of Americans entering the STEM field. It is the high tech version of illegal immigration (which I also oppose)
It sounds like there was a shortage of software engineers.

Quote:
If you did, then you'd know the hy goes between the H and the 1.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times
Quote:
Do you know what the reason for H-1B visas is?
Depends really.

There's a real value in letting bright people who got educated here stay, in bringing in geniuses and entrepreneurs, in making our immigration system take in people who add value, and so forth. On the flip side, the [Indian, being real] IT outsourcing companies bring in not particularly competent people (not incompetent mind, but not really up to par with the average for the field either and not worth preferential immigration treatment) and then pay/treat them as indentured servants and companies which care more about price than quality and reliability can get their own 3rd world outsourced IT labor force on-shore.

It's a program with a good concept which sometimes works as intended and sometimes doesn't. In this case, the latter.

What we should do is cap how many hires any one company can make, and if that doesn't work favor direct hires versus consultancies for the available slots.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:05 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:

THIS is the only thing you need to know about H1-Bs. They are truly the high tech version of illegal immigrants.

I worked for a decade for a certain high-tech giant HQ'd in CA. They have silos of what came to be known as "The Indian Mafia", a massive majority of them H1-Bs.

The truly awful thing is that Indians are honestly not the best workers. It's disgusting that this abuse of the H1-B program continues.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
THIS is the only thing you need to know about H1-Bs. They are truly the high tech version of illegal immigrants.

I worked for a decade for a certain high-tech giant HQ'd in CA. They have silos of what came to be known as "The Indian Mafia", a massive majority of them H1-Bs.

The truly awful thing is that Indians are honestly not the best workers. It's disgusting that this abuse of the H1-B program continues.
So true. My ex is an awesome software engineer. The company he worked for has so many H1-Bs. Many of his own projects have been transferred to India.

This is a tech company (fortune 500) based in San Diego. Funny thing is that with all these H1-Bs, outsourcing, the Chinese recently bought the company.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
It sounds like there was a shortage of software engineers.
Soooo they laid off their engineer because there was a shortage? This is literally the most inane thing I have heard here today.

Quote:
If you did, then you'd know the hy goes between the H and the 1.
Tell you what, educate us all on why the hy goes between the H and the 1. 'm sure its critical to understanding the program.

Start with WTH is a hy?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
It is the high tech version of illegal immigration (which I also oppose)
Illegal immigration is the one hot-button issue among the progressive left. The wages of leftism never matter to a progressive until they hit the pocketbook personally. Then the squealing. The comments on NYT are flooded with protest from its progressive faithful whenever the newspaper advocates for the illegal immigrant community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies