Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:14 AM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by micla0 View Post
And how many times have you successfully defended yourself? I'm guessing 0 times out of 0 attempts.
And why exactly do I have to defend myself. This is my opinion yet you guys get your panties in a bunch Why is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 12:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Actually, it's very easy.
Natalie, my 7 years experience wrestling and numerous fist fights say otherwise. This is like saying I took a driving course and can go out and compete on a race track. Any training is better than no training but if your in a confrontation with someone that is larger than you and has any experience fighting at all your chances are pretty slim.

Quote:
Why are you trying to argue with me about this. If you want a gun then fine but I think there are other ways. Why is that a problem for you.
Nothing wrong with being confident but I think you're far too over confident. What I would suggest is find a local karate school and take some ongoing classes where they are going to allow you to spar, then you'll find out what your limitations are. "then come back to me with this"

Old 06-07-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
And why exactly do I have to defend myself. This is my opinion yet you guys get your panties in a bunch Why is that.
I've been punched and punched hard. I've had people try to kick me in the crotch...been there done that. I know what what my capabilities and limitations are. You don't.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:26 AM

109 posts, read 74,587 times
Quote:
Usually when you get attacked you have to defend yourself, presumably which is why you supposedly took self defense classes. So it's ironic that now you're asking why you would have to defend yourself.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:31 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've been punched and punched hard. I've had people try to kick me in the crotch...been there done that. I know what what my capabilities and limitations are. You don't.
This is key. Everyone has advantages and disadvantages. You have to know what you can utilize against a larger attacker and the groin is not that advantageous. As you correctly pointed out, it is easily blocked and then you are off balance and vulnerable. A smaller person should always use his (or her) legs to power a punch. It is harder for a larger attacker to punch down than it is for a smaller person to punch up. Never let a larger person get their hands on you. If you do, you are going to be in for a long night. Move in, do damage and get out... Better yet, just shoot him.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micla0 View Post
Usually when you get attacked you have to defend yourself, presumably which is why you supposedly took self defense classes. So it's ironic that now you're asking why you would have to defend yourself.
I think she meant defend herself on her position on this matter not defend herself in such a situation.

[that's how I interpreted it]

Old 06-07-2015, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
This is key. Everyone has advantages and disadvantages. You have to know what you can utilize against a larger attacker and the groin is not that advantageous. As you correctly pointed out, it is easily blocked and then you are off balance and vulnerable. A smaller person should always use his (or her) legs to power a punch. It is harder for a larger attacker to punch down than it is for a smaller person to punch up. Never let a larger person get their hands on you. If you do, you are going to be in for a long night. Move in, do damage and get out... Better yet, just shoot him.
Also, if there is more than one assailant, no amount of self-defense training is going to work. While you're kicking balls of one the others are pulling you down. Unless you're Yoda, you're not going to be successful against a group of attackers.

[even Yoda had a lightsaber]

Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Unless you're Yoda, you're not going to be successful against a group of attackers.

[even Yoda had a lightsaber]
Depends, once you knock the first two guys out the others get reluctant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLrXlubkv4

Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Better yet. Shoot the first two and the rest will scatter like the wind.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Depends, once you knock the first two guys out the others get reluctant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzLrXlubkv4
Fair enough.

[that guy was a little bit bigger than Yoda, though...]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies