Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:10 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times

Advertisements

We bailed you out, and now you want what!?! - The Washington Post

We bailed you out, and now you want what!?!

Quote:
Americans were angry when Wall Street’s greedy and risky behavior triggered a global financial crisis in 2008. They were angrier still when the government had to borrow and spend hundreds of billions of dollars to rescue mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the largest banks and the insurance company AIG. They were outraged when they found out that executives at those enterprises were continuing to receive big salaries and bonuses.

So just imagine how it outrageous it would be if some Wall Street sharpies went to court to argue that they didn’t benefit enough from the bailouts and that taxpayers should pay them tens of billions of dollars more.

They certainly know no shame. Give us more money!
We are entitled to Tax Payers Money!!

“Lawsuits of the Rich and Shameless” is how the comedian Jon Stewart dubbed it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 12:44 AM

39,843 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Crony capitalism at it's worst.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:12 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
They want to milk the cow (owned by taxpayer) one more time before Obama & his bankster buddies get out of office.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
We bailed you out, and now you want what!?! - The Washington Post

We bailed you out, and now you want what!?!

They certainly know no shame. Give us more money!
We are entitled to Tax Payers Money!!

“Lawsuits of the Rich and Shameless” is how the comedian Jon Stewart dubbed it.
The only money we should spend on them is the cost of incarcerating them.
It's crap like this that makes me want to vote for Bernie Sanders.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:26 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,143,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Crony capitalism at it's worst.
Funny how you guys can't see that the perpetual welfare collectors do just the same. Every time you give them money, they just come back for more.

When it's bankers, you call them evil, greedy capitalists. When it's welfare collectors, call them struggling poor families. Liberals are such hypocrites.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 AM

752 posts, read 566,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
"When it's bankers, you call them evil, greedy capitalists. When it's welfare collectors, [you] call them struggling poor families. Liberals are such hypocrites."
I fail to see the hypocrisy in being more willing to aid poor families (most government assistance is specifically directed at children) than massively wealthy financial institutions. I also favor letting diabetics bogart the nation's insulin supply, and snake bite victims being misers with respect to anti-venom. Much as I'd love to lounge in a hyperbaric chamber, I'll let scuba divers have first dibs. Having two healthy hearts would be nifty, but it's understandable that everyone else should probably have one first. The water in a fire hydrant belongs to everyone, but I have no objection to those whose houses are aflame consuming more than an equal share. Likewise, when a river floods, I don't begrudge the affected communities for siphoning an inordinate share of bottled water, sandbags, and relief funds. Does that make me akin to Newt Gingrich, Ted Haggard, or Dennis Hastert?

Old 06-08-2015, 03:10 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Funny how you guys can't see that the perpetual welfare collectors do just the same. Every time you give them money, they just come back for more.

When it's bankers, you call them evil, greedy capitalists. When it's welfare collectors, call them struggling poor families. Liberals are such hypocrites.
I aint no liberal and I say let the free market take its course. Let 'em fail. Let the top guys lose their stock options and do without their hefty bonuses. Let them lose their jobs because of their irresponsibility.

It's my so called conservative brothers who whine about government regulations. They claim they want the free market to prevail. So let it. Then prosecute and jail CEO's and executive and senior managements for being reckless with client money.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:35 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,145 times
Next time this happens, they should just take their banks away from them and pay these people a government worker salary. Just giving them money for screwing up is a like rewarding a child for bad behavior... they're just going to do it all over again.

Of course, rewarding bad behavior is the American way.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:55 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
I fail to see the hypocrisy in being more willing to aid poor families (most government assistance is specifically directed at children) than massively wealthy financial institutions. I also favor letting diabetics bogart the nation's insulin supply, and snake bite victims being misers with respect to anti-venom. Much as I'd love to lounge in a hyperbaric chamber, I'll let scuba divers have first dibs. Having two healthy hearts would be nifty, but it's understandable that everyone else should probably have one first. The water in a fire hydrant belongs to everyone, but I have no objection to those whose houses are aflame consuming more than an equal share. Likewise, when a river floods, I don't begrudge the affected communities for siphoning an inordinate share of bottled water, sandbags, and relief funds. Does that make me akin to Newt Gingrich, Ted Haggard, or Dennis Hastert?

Democrats learned a lesson when FDR was in office about the voters and their party that has served them well for the many decades since.

That lesson is that economic failure, regardless of cause, is a political windfall for Democrats (the party of welfare).

In fact, FDR had to die in office to lose the White House.

Democrats maintained their hold on power throughout the Great Depression by enacting economic policies that failed and made otherwise hard-working Americans disillusioned, desperate, and most important for Democrats, dependent.

Today, the goal of the Democratic Party is to eliminate all competition for their government programs.

The food stamp program inflates food prices making more and more families unable to pay their grocery bill without a bridge card.

Taxes on health insurance and medical devices along with Obamacare mandates makes working for a living and buying a policy less attractive for the person who can claim a disability and receive Medicaid.

Free phones are advertised on TV and radio, but only for those already on the dole.

Example after example shows how Democrats have applied lessons learned from FDR to create a modern class of dependents who are rewarded for failing and penalized for success.

If anyone wonders why the political landscape is so polarized, this system of rewards and penalties is why.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:35 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Democrats learned a lesson when FDR was in office about the voters and their party that has served them well for the many decades since.

That lesson is that economic failure, regardless of cause, is a political windfall for Democrats (the party of welfare).

In fact, FDR had to die in office to lose the White House.

Democrats maintained their hold on power throughout the Great Depression by enacting economic policies that failed and made otherwise hard-working Americans disillusioned, desperate, and most important for Democrats, dependent.

Today, the goal of the Democratic Party is to eliminate all competition for their government programs.

The food stamp program inflates food prices making more and more families unable to pay their grocery bill without a bridge card.

Taxes on health insurance and medical devices along with Obamacare mandates makes working for a living and buying a policy less attractive for the person who can claim a disability and receive Medicaid.

Free phones are advertised on TV and radio, but only for those already on the dole.

Example after example shows how Democrats have applied lessons learned from FDR to create a modern class of dependents who are rewarded for failing and penalized for success.

If anyone wonders why the political landscape is so polarized, this system of rewards and penalties is why.
WTF is this conspiracy??

If people want welfare during tough times, why did Reagan win a landslide in 1980???

From the 50s to the 90s, people were just as likely to vote GOP as they were Democrat, which is why Reagan won a landslide both times... you're seriously suggesting that FDR is responsible for the polarized political landscape??

It's like you're living in some parallel universe where history ended during WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies