Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 11:41 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
From the video, it appears that the cops were the problem.

The cops didn't even ask any of the kids who their leader was.

Their leader was the public invitation.

Who are you, Barney Fife?

Barney Fife secretly despised neighborliness.
OMG?????? How long was the video...? You don't know what happened before it or after it???

Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok, so you are saying the kids are too dumb to associate cops are there because there was a problem. Got it.
Plain view revealed no problem.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:47 AM

328 posts, read 573,210 times
The reality is that race is not going anywhere. There has always been and will always be issues with race and other social categories that are used to separate individuals into groups. Today its race or sexual orientation, tomorrow it may be income or class status (i.e. Gattaca). As for the teens, I blame tv LOL - specifically Disney shows where parents take a secondary role and the children are running the show, talking back and acting very grown up. I don't know why black teens think that they can do the same things as white teens and end up with the same results. Research has shown that others perceive black youths as less innocent than their white counterparts in the same situation (Police Killed Tamir Rice At a Playground: Do Safe Spaces for Black Children Exist?*|*Janessa E. Robinson). Yes, there are laws that have made race a protected social category. However, laws cannot stop subjective interpretations of who constitutes a threat or how one is treated if they are being belligerent towards a cop.

In the video, the young lady was walking away. And being mouthy. Not the smartest move when dealing with an overzealous cop, but also not deserving of being thrown around like a rag doll... by her hair. I mean that's damn near domestic violence behavior. Placing his whole body weight (plus 30 lbs of gear, in his own words) on her smaller framed body for several minutes while she cried and called for her mother? I mean, geesh, she is a person, a young one at that. She was already in a subdued position, so was all of that really called for? As for the other incident in the video... Yes the two young men who rolled up on the cop where silly and crazy. No surprise that he may have felt threatened, still not deserving of breaking out deadly force. They did not touch the cop. Yes, they were amped up in fight stance, however, they did not do anything. The cop had other options to regain control of the situation.

As the daughter of a former police officer, it saddens me to see the police become this unwelcome force in the community. I remember when my dad would come to my elementary school in uniform and all the kids would run up to him. He was respected and the children looked up to him. As an adult, I don't trust cops. Period. If I get pulled over, there's no haggling to get out of the ticket. Write me up and send me on my way. I will pay the fine. I have never needed to call the cops and I pray that I never will. In addition to the black or white issue, there is also a blue issue. The first instinct of cops is not to use escalating force as needed; they start right at the top of the force totem pole - use of a gun. I don't think we intended for cops to become the judge, jury, and executioner in our communities.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:05 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm not defending the officer or what he did.
You are fixated on this point only.
That's the only point to be fixated on. LOL. The issue is police brutality (or lack thereof), not an "out of control pool party mob," which probably occurs every single weekend in the U.S. with kids of all colors. The difference is that kids don't get manhandled at said parties, which is why we don't they don't make the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If there hadn't been an out of control pool party with a mob of teens then the police would have never been called.
Like I said..you have 100+ unsupervised teens and you are asking for trouble.
Like these "mobs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i4lvJE3NqU

Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
also find it funny how none of the white kids got arrested
Not only not arrested, but the white kid putting his camera in the cops face didn't even get a how do you do!

I won't go into the other "facts" presented other than to say, I love how white folks go scurrying to the first black person who voices a contrary opinion like that's some kind of free "What I Am About To Say Isn't Racist" card.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:22 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,171 times
I sick to death of all this racist nonsense . Parents need to teach their kids how to behave around adults but especially around the police. When an adult says leave you need to go. I think those parents should thank their lucky stars their children were not shot. If parents don't teach their children how to behave then its on their head should their child get shot. Stop blaming the cops for your poor parenting and stop saying everything is racist thats just a crock of sh*t.
I do have tremendous empathy for those black parents that have taught their children well, get good grades, are college or trade school bound and know what racism is.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:49 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Did any kids get arrested? If so, how many and what for? I have not heard of any specific reports about arrests from this event, so if there were any, whatever information you have about that would be helpful.
Only one guy was arrested, the one that moved aggressively on the cop when he was in the process of subduing the girl. He's already out and throwing a fit, what a surprise.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:54 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Only one guy was arrested, the one that moved aggressively on the cop when he was in the process of subduing the girl. He's already out and throwing a fit, what a surprise.
Do you happen to have a link for that? Someone else posted a story earlier from Dallas that said there was only one arrest, and it was an adult for interfering with the investigation. So what you are saying suggests that story may be wrong.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:56 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You answered your own question. They weren't arrested because they stood there and did not act like fools.
This is factually wrong. Brian Brooks' friends didn't do anything different than what he did.

Unseen kid at 0:06: Don't run!

Officer Casebolt at 0:07: Move! Move!

(Officer Casebolt tumbles at 0:09)

Kid at 0:20: Hey, give me the flashlight.

Brian Brooks' friend at 0:28: Oh sh*t! This n***** fell. Did you see it? Ay, ay, let me get your phone.

Brian Brooks at 0:32: Nah, no, no, no.

Unseen kid at 0:33: Let me give it to him.

Other kid: I want to give it to him.

Brian Brooks at 0:40: No, no, no. It wasn't his. It was his. (This is in response to Brooks' friend handing the flashlight to the wrong officer).

Officer at 0:45 (talking to a group of kids): Alright, Alright. I'm gonna tell you. Don't, don't take off running when the cops get here.

(Brian Brooks reaches to hand flashlight to officer)

Same officer at 0:46: Oh What's up, man? I'll take that. Thank you.

Young girl at 0:49: None of them were involved by the way, I know who...

Officer: Okay, okay

Brian Brooks: It was...some guys...

Officer: Okay guys, I appreciate...

Brian Brooks: It was this guy's...it was that guy's... (referring to Officer Casebolt)

Brian Brooks' friend at 0:53: Whoa, sir, hold up...

(Casebolt grabs him by the wrist and pulls him down on the grass)

Officer Casebolt: Get on the ground.

Young kid: Sir...

Officer Casebolt: I told you. Stay!

Casebolt at 0:57: Get your asses down on the ground!

(Casebolt runs off to instruct two other teens to sit on the grass)

Casebolt at 1:04: On the grass!

Casebolt approaches group with Becton at 1:13 and points baton: Get your asses out of here.

Kid at 1:20: I didn't even do anything [inaudible]

Becton walks in front of officer Casebolt at 1:27: [asks some other kid question I can't understand]

(Becton crosses street at 1:33 mark as Casebolt handcuffs one kid on the grass)

Kid at 1:36: Sir, we just got here. We came here from a birthday party. Please.

(Casebolt walks over to left of SUV)

Casebolt at 1:48: Where are these people?

(Casebolt walks to intersection at 1:55)

Kid on grass: Officer, officer.

(Casebolt directs car)

Kid on grass: Officer, I can't find my glasses.

Casebolt: I don't care. Sit down.

(Casebolt walks back in Becton's direction. Kid with blue shorts sits down)

Brian Brooks: Yo Richard, what color was it?

Richard: It's navy blue.

Brian Brooks: I know where it is.

(Casebolt addresses kids on grass)

Casebolt at 2:11: I don't care. I told y'all to stay right here. I walked off and y'all got up and took off. That's a danger. Well right now you're staying. Don't make me f***ng run around here with 30 pounds of goddamned gear on in the sun because you want to screw around out here.

(Casebolt approaches Becton's group at 2:30 mark and points baton)

Casebolt: Y'all keep standing there and running your mouths and you're gonna go too. Get out of here, I already told you.

Young girl: I need to get my glasses.

Casebolt: I don't care.

Young girl: We have...

Casebolt: I don't care. You're leaving now. You are leaving now. Leave! That way!

(Girls walk away in two different directions. Girls inaudible)

Casebolt: Get your asses gone!

Girl: You don't know who [inaudible]!

Casebolt: Keep running your mouth.

(Casebolt turns the other direction and points baton and Becton's group)

Casebolt: You! You know what?

(Grabs Becton)

Kid at 3:02: Yo Jumper, what the f**k is going on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp5epGE7ZjA

Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
I blame Barry and the media for causing unease in the police ranks who deal with crap nobody else wants to deal with...a bad situation all the way around.I was arrested for just saying yes sir 20 years ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies