Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:12 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I am not sure who those people are because that isn't what I said.
Actually that's pretty much exactly what you said. You said, "I personally enjoy listening to the people who vote for all of this crap (mandatory fees and wages) and then get their panties in bundle when they find out the business owner passes the cost of on them." Why would they be finding this out if they already knew it?

Why do you feel the need to run from what you said?
Quote:
But you are one of those people who doesn't like being shown how the crappy policies you support come back to affect you. If you are going to support minimum wage increases then don't whine about it.
Who's whining about minimum wage increases except the right? I already know how the policies affect me. I don't need some hyper-partisan restauranteur to tell me about it when I'm trying to enjoy my dinner.

Quote:
Didn't the left and their "golden boy" Paul Krugman tell us that raising the minimum wage wouldn't raise prices? I suppose they were hoping restaurant owners would just raise meal prices so they could chalk it up to "increase food costs".
I couldn't find anything to really support this claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 PM

1,136 posts, read 922,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Can you imagine what would happen if income tax wasn't deducted out of each check but you had to send in a payment at the end of the year?
I'd be in favor of that. Transparency leads to people making better decisions. My guess is most people wouldn't pay then would balk when the government started ceasing full paychecks.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
If the arts tax in Portland is any indication, about 1/3 of taxpayers just won't pay. Also, there would be an unprecedented shift to the right on fiscal issues.
Followed by outrage when the government starts cutting services.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I agree with the restaurant's policy. I'd also add a comment about the patrons should be thanking their politicians for this mess.
Why not itemize the receipt? Show the customers exactly what they are paying for.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny how all the LWNJs have their panties in a bunch over this. Why don't you want customers to see the cost of your policies? Oh...I guess that's obvious isn't it?

It makes a lot more sense and is cheaper to the company to charge the fee than to go and update all their menus.
I'm all for this. I say he should lower the cost of the meals and charge a fee for the employees wages, electricity, taxes... I would eat at a business that did that.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
I'm all for this. I say he should lower the cost of the meals and charge a fee for the employees wages, electricity, taxes... I would eat at a business that did that.
Why stop there? Go to grocery, receive itemization showing cost of rent, utilities, cashiers wage charge, managers salary charge, grounds upkeep charge, etc etc. Same with an airline ticket, or dentist visit, etc. Or just build it all into the cost of the items or service. I prefer the second option.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Minnesota Restaurant Under Fire For "Minimum Wage Fee"

Essentially, a Minnesota restaurant is charging 35 cents per bill to account for the 75 cent increase in Minnesota's minimum wage.

Increasing the minimum wage increases the cost of labor, no matter which way you slice it. So is it better to just hide the increased costs in the price of goods and services, or charge that fee?

On one hand, I think it's bad taste. On the other, people need to realize that they ultimately bear the costs of minimum wage increases.

Thoughts?
How is it in bad taste to inform people that supporting destructive policies like these has consequences?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
every restaurant has to accommodate a minimum wage hike. If your the only one charging a fee, your doing something stupid
Interesting.....

Finally a democrat admits that raising wages has consequences.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:11 AM

Wow.... the video in OP's link is just astounding. It's remarkable how ignorant some.... err..... most Americans really are.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Minnesota Restaurant Under Fire For "Minimum Wage Fee"

Essentially, a Minnesota restaurant is charging 35 cents per bill to account for the 75 cent increase in Minnesota's minimum wage.

Increasing the minimum wage increases the cost of labor, no matter which way you slice it. So is it better to just hide the increased costs in the price of goods and services, or charge that fee?

On one hand, I think it's bad taste. On the other, people need to realize that they ultimately bear the costs of minimum wage increases.

Thoughts?
They could have raised prices on every food item but chose to only add $.35 to every bill.

Much ado about nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies