Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:29 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, majority of the Ivy League students are just regular people, white, black, hispanics, Asian, etc.

This article makes sense, but we are talking about the majority here, not somebody's kids with connections.

My friend is the son of a third party Vice presidential candidate. He is just a regular civil engineer who lives in a normal two bedroom apartment. "connection" is overrated.

Many Chinese communist party's high ranking officials' sons and daughters are studying in Ivy League schools. They obviously will not cry "racism".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Interesting read.

This is exactly why I am glad my parents made sure that we were well-rounded.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:49 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Basically they want to get rid of affirmative action and are using Asian-Americans as a vehicle to do it. The humorous thing is though few whites would get into elite schools either if the sole criteria was test scores & GPA.
Perhaps.

This country needs to remove "race" from almost everything. They don't want to though.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Basically they want to get rid of affirmative action and are using Asian-Americans as a vehicle to do it. The humorous thing is though few whites would get into elite schools either if the sole criteria was test scores & GPA.
Yep..the piece explicitly says that the present policy favors whites as much as it favors everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I'd bet Obama's children will NO problem getting into ANY Ivy league school they want.
Absolutely. No doubt about it. Sasha and Malia are attending an Ivy come hell or high water.

It only makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Perhaps.

This country needs to remove "race" from almost everything. They don't want to though.
Not necessarily.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This piece has been out for a few days, but I figured someone else would post it up first.

In any case, if what she's saying is true (and I believe it), my suspicions are 100% confirmed. Yes, it's highly discriminatory, but not racist...and those are simply not the same things.

In this life it can be simply a matter of who you know more often than you can imagine...and "what can you do for me," (?) as this official explains in the piece. Not fair, I know, but that's the process.

Sara Harberson explains why Asian-American students get rejected - Business Insider
Former Ivy League admissions dean reveals why highly qualified Asian-American students often get rejected
Actually percentage of Asians in Harvard is double the percentage they are of the American population. Kinda hard to say it is racist.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Asians also have a "group think" mentality. When you have a spirited classroom debate or discussion.

A room full of folks with different religions, races, income levels, activities, interests and add in folks who are disable, married or gay etc and it is interesting.

A room full of 4.0 GPA Chinese students who have Patty Duke Syndrome. Remember show where it started "they look alike, they talk alike, they are two of a kind is boring".

Kinda like when you do a dinner party conversation is best with a diverse group.

Having 30 white Wasps over for dinner or 30 Chinese A students will be boring. They all are too much alike

Old 06-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Asians also have a "group think" mentality. When you have a spirited classroom debate or discussion.

A room full of folks with different religions, races, income levels, activities, interests and add in folks who are disable, married or gay etc and it is interesting.

A room full of 4.0 GPA Chinese students who have Patty Duke Syndrome. Remember show where it started "they look alike, they talk alike, they are two of a kind is boring".

Kinda like when you do a dinner party conversation is best with a diverse group.

Having 30 white Wasps over for dinner or 30 Chinese A students will be boring. [b]They all are too much alike
What will you feel if you replace "asians" or "Chinese" with black?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Actually percentage of Asians in Harvard is double the percentage they are of the American population. Kinda hard to say it is racist.
Further reading led me to what EdwardA was talking about...this issue and lawsuit is being engineered by non-Asians to get rid of AA in Ivy League admissions. Asians aren't the ones complaining. Elite Asian students get into elite schools so I smelled a rat and looked into it.

Thing is, no matter the outcome of the adjudication, no one can force the Ivys to do anything they don't wanna do. They're too fat and rich...and well connected to be brought down.

Truly the confluence of money, power and connections. Doesn't get anymore American than that.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Further reading led me to what EdwardA was talking about...this issue and lawsuit is being engineered by non-Asians to get rid of AA in Ivy League admissions. Asians aren't the ones complaining. Elite Asian students get into elite schools so I smelled a rat and looked into it.

Thing is, no matter the outcome of the adjudication, no one can force the Ivys to do anything they don't wanna do. They're too fat and rich...and well connected to be brought down.

Truly the confluence of money, power and connections. Doesn't get anymore American than that.
I agree with you there

according to this article

"Harvard says it stands by its approach.

"We will vigorously defend the right of Harvard, and other universities, to continue to seek the educational benefits that come from a class that is diverse on multiple dimensions," Iuliano said.

Asian-American groups say Harvard discriminates - CNN.com

Bottom line is that Harvard has the right to choose. The school has a very unique culture which is hard to define. I say stop explaining and stick with their policy. Problem solved.

The harder you try to be "fair", the more problem you have.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Let's face it, majority of the Ivy League students are just regular people, white, black, hispanics, Asian, etc.

This article makes sense, but we are talking about the majority here, not somebody's kids with connections.

My friend is the son of a third party Vice presidential candidate. He is just a regular civil engineer who lives in a normal two bedroom apartment. "connection" is overrated.

Many Chinese communist party's high ranking officials' sons and daughters are studying in Ivy League schools. They obviously will not cry "racism".
I think you might be underestimating the power of an Ivy League degree. At a certain level, the importance of the degree may not be all that apparent, but when you reach a certain station in life, that thing starts paying some serious returns if you're in the right place at the right time. Obviously, a little luck always helps like with anything else.

Look no further than the SCOTUS...all Ivy. No way can that be a coincidence. When those clerk jobs open up, who do you think is sliding in? I don't think it's any different in finance, academia, government internships, etc...you name it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies