Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,877,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Cool. Let's hear one GOPer speaking in favor of a Singapore-style health care system - y'know, universal coverage, mandatory participation, government price control and massive subsidies. Any takers?

Or is it just the "no minimum wage" bit that seems attractive?
I think most Republicans support medicare. I can tell the concept of a successful socially conservative/economically libertarian country is upsetting to the left. But there is evidence that it works. Sorry to disappoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 AM

698 posts, read 585,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Nah, I think Singapore is the best representation. Saudi Arabia paradoxically more in line with the left's values since they're always kowtowing to Islam.
What? Point out some of the Saudi policies or laws that represent any of the ideals of the left instead of just lazily tossing out some non sequitur about Islam.

Here are just a few things from Saudi Arabia that align with the GOP platform:

An official state religion - Republicans like Palin and Huckabee have stated that they would like the laws in the US to conform to biblical standards, the mandatory teaching of religious dogma in the schools

The systematic discrimination of homosexuals - no explanation needed on this one, the GOP is proudly anti-gay and supports their second class citizen status

An oligarchical form of government and society - the whole makers vs. takers, corporations are people and money is speech ideology, along with the desire to deconstruct all forms of social safety nets

Old 06-11-2015, 10:42 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,397,423 times
I do think Singapore is a fair representation (although not perfect). The thing is that both the right and the left have their representative nations that they show forth as their champion-nation AND these nations are very successful in how they live. I think the problem is that we are trying to have a nation that includes both "Singaporeans" and "Scandinavians" (pick your Scandi-nation). I just don't think this is working too well and it is becoming a larger chasm as we progress into the future. If the USA falls, it will definitely be from within as we seem to be our own worst enemies.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 06-11-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,510,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lol...another lib/prog circle jerk. Have fun.
Yup. They do these a lot here. Fantasy threads for the ignorant leftist.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM

46,865 posts, read 25,830,287 times
Quote:
I think most Republicans support medicare.
Well, yes. They got their core voters to march with signs saying "Keep the government out of my Medicare", so... There is, however, a subtle difference between Medicare and actual UHC.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:46 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,281,301 times
Quote:
Singapore.

Typically, most liberals point to Scandanavia as an ideal state. Often times the GOP is criticized for wanting to take the country back to the "dark ages." Rather, a country like Singapore is where the GOP wants to take the country. It's socially conservative and has one of the freest markets in the world. It has no minimum wage and its officially policy is no welfare state, although there is a very basic safety net.

The unemployment rate never got above 4% even during the financial crisis. It's comprised of multiple cultures, ethnic groups, races with English as the official unifying language. It's economically prosperous, has extremely low crime, and drug smuggling carries the death penalty.

Some cons are limited press and speech freedoms, homosexuality is criminalized, and high income inequality.

I'm not saying that I personally agree with their conservative social views, but when people say the GOP wants to take the country back, I think it's more accurate that they want to take the country forward, but in a different way. Singapore is a good example of a social conservative/economically libertarian success story.
The idea that Singapore is conservative makes no sense. I don't think you know much about Singapore. There is basically one political party that tightly controls that nation's economy.

The government forces workers to save for retirement and housing. It is a huge government program.

The employer is forced to contribute 16% of an employees gross monthly salary, while workers are forced to contribute 20%.

There are 4 accounts.

Ordinary account for housing, pay for cof insurance, investment, and education.

Special account Old age and investment in retirement.

Medisave hospitalization and approved medical insurance.

Retirement account.

The government guarantees a 2.5% return. The special, Medisavemedisave, and retirement accounts had a guaranteed 4% return.

So your characterization of Singapore as conservative. Makes no sense.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,176,344 times
Yeah, a country where it's illegal to walk around naked in your own house sounds like a Conservative Control Freak utopia for the group that thinks the human body obscene and war just business as usual.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,160,398 times
Hong Kong is a GOP dreamland.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:45 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,877,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, yes. They got their core voters to march with signs saying "Keep the government out of my Medicare", so... There is, however, a subtle difference between Medicare and actual UHC.
The Tea Party isn't the core of the GOP. And you know what, the statement isn't as insane as you think even though I get the joke. Medicare and Social Security were set up as separate government entities that have been raided/borrowed by both parties since their inception to fund frivolous things.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:46 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,444,617 times
Lightbulb The country that is the best representation of the GOPs beliefs...

Somalia

Small government

Loose regulation

Totally free market

Leaning towards theocracy

No concerns over climate change

Right wingers' paradise on earth.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies