Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 01:23 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Bad things happen to everybody. What are they materially owed by society just because the Joneses have it?

Be specific.
No one is asking to keep up with the Joneses they are asking enough to live on which in most modern countries is seen as a good thing.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If you think all it takes to succeed in business you know nothing about business. Apparently 90% of people on CD are business owners just because you say it does not make it true. Do you think that if 1000s of poor people start businesses that they all will have enough business for all them to succeed? Who will work for the businesses?
once again you have no clue. i never said succeeding in business is easy. it never has been, it never will be. but then again you just want to complain that there is no opportunity for anyone to succeed. as i said, a lot of people fail because they have a bad business plan, they didnt research the market very well to determine if the business they want to open is in market saturation or not.

other owners that have failed have had a good business plam, but they failed to execute that plan properly. still others have failed due to circumstances beyond their control. take howard johnsons for instance, did you know that mr johnson started off as a restaurant in boston? he opened his business during the busy season, and the restaurant started off quite well in fact. but then the slow season hit and he wasnt prepared for that, and as a result he lost the business. the bank however was talked into letting mr johnson run the business until they could find a buyer.

when the busy season hit again mr johnson made enough money running the business to get current with the bank and take back ownership of the business, until the slow season hit again. this cycle went on for a few years until a convention came to boston in the middle of the slow season just before he was about to lose the business to the bank again. he made enough money from the convention to carry him through the rest of the slow season, and he never lost the business again.

this goes to show that persistence pays off, but it also shows that one can do things right and still fail due to reasons beyond their control.

but my point is that if one is willing, and puts in the effort, and is persistent, they too can succeed running their own business.

too many people over reach when starting a new business, which is another reason they fail. instead of starting small and building from there, they try to become a big business in a short period of time. so before you complain that new businesses fail all the time, which is true, try looking at WHY those businesses failed first. then you might realize that the owner made plenty of mistakes in many areas that caused the downfall of said business.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:37 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
No one is asking to keep up with the Joneses they are asking enough to live on which in most modern countries is seen as a good thing.
rubbish, a lot of poor people ARE trying to keep up with the joneses. they see their neighbors hauling home a new big screen plasma tv, and they decide they have to have one also. so they go to some place like arrons or other rent to own furniture company, where they can make small weekly payments. soon enough though they are making a lot of those small weekly payments for a lot of stuff they dont need, and then they wonder where their money is going.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:45 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
That infrastructure is for the benefit and use of all, not just those endowed by happenstance with more private material belongings.

See above.

In specifically what way? Provide a tangible example of the circumstances of one of those typical millions that concerns you after public assistance.

That question is best asked of a progressive left that wants a heavily-funded Big Government big enough to give money to cronies.

You don't fix crony capitalism by widening the trough.
Your first sentence proves my point. The money the government spends is for all, I agree. Its conservatives that seek to exclude and demonize certain Americans from that spending.

To your second part see my above sentence

i don't understand your question. Are you under the belief that there is no poverty in America after certain programs are taken into account? If so, you are very ignorant. And need to seek knowledge on this topic. It ain't hard to find. Google American poverty and government programs.

Your last point is evasive, you asked a question, what are citizens materially owed?

My answer is they are materially owed what the richest citizens get from the government

conservatives are 100% silent and back the lobbying of the wealthy.

The rich and the powerful are so good at begging the government that they can afford to pay others to do their begging for them.

Think about this fact, the people doing the begging for the rich and powerful get a big enough slice that they end up rich themselves. That's how much money is at stake.

The amount of material changeing hands is obscene, but conservatives are upset about a poor family getting $200 dollars worth of food From food stamps a month.

For conservatives that's too much material, but the rich who cares right.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again you have no clue. i never said succeeding in business is easy. it never has been, it never will be. but then again you just want to complain that there is no opportunity for anyone to succeed. as i said, a lot of people fail because they have a bad business plan, they didnt research the market
A lot of people's business plan is "I want to make a million". Of course they don't understand it should be offering a service or product that other people are willing to pay for.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
rubbish, a lot of poor people ARE trying to keep up with the joneses. they see their neighbors hauling home a new big screen plasma tv, and they decide they have to have one also. so they go to some place like arrons or other rent to own furniture company, where they can make small weekly payments. soon enough though they are making a lot of those small weekly payments for a lot of stuff they dont need, and then they wonder where their money is going.
Yep, I remember back before Clinton when a girl on welfare could afford a CD player and we (who worked) couldn't. They also ate better than we did, then again, they did buy lots of junk food. They also ate better because while we were away working, they had the time to cook.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 AM

258 posts, read 157,547 times
Judging from public statements by the successful, the talk emanating from MBAs and economists, and human nature generally, it seems to me that most people vastly underestimate the role of luck in acquiring wealth.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon X Seaworthy View Post
Judging from public statements by the successful, the talk emanating from MBAs and economists, and human nature generally, it seems to me that most people vastly underestimate the role of luck in acquiring wealth.
So you think someone can sit on their butt and with luck they can make it big? Really?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:08 AM

258 posts, read 157,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you think someone can sit on their butt and with luck they can make it big? Really?
Well, yes, it's certainly possible. Mostly I'm suggesting from the other side. There's a survivor's bias to success. Highly successful people will tend to blame ability rather than luck.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think in human beings there is this kind of gut level thinking and for whatever reason human beings seem to truly believe that some people are better than others, more deserving, etc and while this may or may not be true on an individual basis, as humans we tend to make these kinds of judgments based on whole groups of human beings.

conservatives generally believe despite all reality that people end up where they end up based on merit.

conservatives do the gut level thing, hey they are doing badly, so they are bad. It is incredibly simple minded thinking.

conservatives do believe in group differences based on race or gender or the catch-all culture, so for them
group differences along racial, religious or gender lines are explained by what's wrong within those groups.

And finally, conservatives really do believe in karma, that people get what they deserve, this allows them to be ok with and blame those in poverty as being flawed or broken.

Sadly, I believe these kinds of feelings are more natural for human beings.

It is much, much much more difficult to look at how systems work and interact with and shape individuals choices or opportunities, how discrimination works, how our economy works, and come up with reasons for poverty.

It is much easier to say hey people are poor because they suck and they deserve to be poor. Just look at them. the conservative argument has much more gut level appeal.
What a crock of you know what!!!!! Geeze
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies